[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Quick Def/special team question...

Tboogs

The NFL considers a FG formation to be an offensive gormation. It is NOT a special teams TD as the NFL sees it. Unless your league says specifically, it should be counted as an offensive play, with a TD pass going to Longwell and a reception by the catcher.

Sorry.

Yep this makes sense. We have a special teams in our league and you get pts for field goals, kick returns for TDs, punt returns for TDs, and blocked kicks/punts returned for TDs, but it does not reward pts for a fake field goal TD, and that play is treated as an offensive score.

One play for those NFL buffs that interests me...Opening day in 1980 I think, Bears/Packers game is in OT...Packers attempt field goal, Bears block it, and the ball flies back into Packer's kicker Chestor Marcol's arms and he runs in the touchdown. If that were to ever happen, then YES your special teams SHOULD get the points, but don't hold your breath.

One play for those NFL buffs that interests me...Opening day in 1980 I think, Bears/Packers game is in OT...Packers attempt field goal, Bears block it, and the ball flies back into Packer's kicker Chestor Marcol's arms and he runs in the touchdown. If that were to ever happen, then YES your special teams SHOULD get the points, but don't hold your breath.

I don't see how, if he was lined up in an offensive formation. The PK would get a TD score.

In my local, and one of my BoTH leagues, there are two "special team" formations: the kick off unit and a free kick unit after a safety. Everything else is an offense lining up against a defense, meanign the defense returns kicks. We play combo D/ST units so keeping it simply defined avoids a lot of problems in the "is this a Special teams play?"

The NFL considers a FG formation to be an offensive gormation. It is NOT a special teams TD as the NFL sees it. Unless your league says specifically, it should be counted as an offensive play, with a TD pass going to Longwell and a reception by the catcher.

Sorry.

+1 it was an offensive play....

This would be a special teams play because not only did they line up in a specail teams, they actually kicked the ball...this makes it a no-brainer special teams play, just as if a player recovers a blocked punt/kick in the endzone for a TD. Just because the guy recovered it in the field of play, and ran it in, makes no difference.

On the orginal point, since Longwell lined up in an offensive formation, the NFL treats it as an offensive play.

As they should.

This would be a special teams play because not only did they line up in a specail teams, they actually kicked the ball...this makes it a no-brainer special teams play, just as if a player recovers a blocked punt/kick in the endzone for a TD. Just because the guy recovered it in the field of play, and ran it in, makes no difference.

On the orginal point, since Longwell lined up in an offensive formation, the NFL treats it as an offensive play.

As they should.

How is a FG formation not an offensive lineup in both instances?

Also, I'd be surprised if the NFL makes the 1980 instance a special team play, it's still an ofensive lineup.

How is a FG formation not an offensive lineup in both instances?

Also, I'd be surprised if the NFL makes the 1980 instance a special team play, it's still an ofensive lineup.

The formation would not matter, but my understanding is once the ball is kicked it is a special teams play. And the 1980 istance (in which I attended) would be a ST play since the ball was kicked and blocked.

Hold on a second, if the kicker had made the field goal, would you expect to get the three points for your ST/D?

Of course not.

There are exceptions to the rule, and this is in a "gray area"

Instances of the exceptions are:

There is no FF league I know of that gives FGs to a D/ST team, but rather it goes to the player that kicked it.

Another exception is on the PAT/2pt attempt. It is generally not considered a ST play and the only ponts given are if the PAT is made or the 2pt conversion is made, or on defense the kick is blocked. No sacks nor INT/FR is given in this case.

There are exceptions to the rule, and this is in a "gray area"

Instances of the exceptions are:

There is no FF league I know of that gives FGs to a D/ST team, but rather it goes to the player that kicked it.

Another exception is on the PAT/2pt attempt. It is generally not considered a ST play and the only ponts given are if the PAT is made or the 2pt conversion is made, or on defense the kick is blocked. No sacks nor INT/FR is given in this case.

I know about the PAT stats being a black hole, but I'm thinking we should look at a rule re the blocked FG making one team a Special Teams unit and the other still the Defense.