[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ESPN's All-Indespensable Team

Menudo

Looks like a pretty solid list to me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2637948

By Michael Smith

ESPN.com

It wasn't easy, but after talking to players, coaches, scouts and other personnel people around the NFL, here is the All-Indispensable Defense. Also, check out our All-Indispensable Offense.

All-Indispensable Team: Defense

Pos. Player Team Comment

S

Troy Polamalu

Steelers Coordinator Dick LeBeau's ultimate weapon, Polamalu covers slot receivers, the deep middle and the deep half, supports the run, and blitzes from any angle. Arguably the Steelers' most valuable player.

S

Ed Reed

Ravens Defensive Player of the Year in 2004 missed six games last year yet still was deserving of a Pro Bowl invitation. Quarterback of the Ravens' star-studded secondary. Probably possesses the best combination of coverage and tackling skills of any safety in football.

CB

Champ Bailey

Broncos True shutdown cover guy in the mold of Darrell Green and Deion Sanders. Challenge him if you dare, quarterbacks.

CB

Terence Newman

Cowboys Has not allowed a touchdown pass since the 2004 season. So quick he can shut down outside receivers as well as slot receivers on third down, rare for a top-notch corner.

OLB

Mike Vrabel

Patriots Sure, every member of the Patriots' defense seems replaceable and in some cases has been successfully replaced. But where would New England's defense have been last year had Vrabel not been able to make a seamless transition to the middle?

MLB

Zach Thomas

Dolphins Still going strong after 11 years. Not just a team leader but the face of the Dolphins.

OLB

Keith Brooking

Falcons Hasn't missed a game in five-plus seasons, and the Falcons are grateful for it. Has been productive and team's leader from both outside and middle linebacker spots.

DE

Julius Peppers

Panthers League's sack leader, on his way to earning Defensive Player of the Year honors. Among the league's best players regardless of position.

NT

Jamal Williams

Chargers Bolts' defensive dominance all starts with the big man in the middle.

DT

Bryant Young

49ers Steady on the field and in the locker room for a once proud but now rebuilding franchise. Unquestioned team leader. Is as effective at 3-4 end as at 4-3 tackle. Think the Niners' defense is bad with Young, imagine what it'd be without him.

DE

Michael Strahan

Giants Along with the late Reggie White, Strahan is the standard for base defensive ends. A great pass-rusher who's just as stout against the run.

All-Indispensable Offense

Position Player Team Comment

QB

Peyton Manning

Colts Two-time league MVP carries the fortunes of his team every week. Only at times last season has Manning ever had a defense he could depend upon, and now he is getting it done without Edgerrin James behind him. He's a true coach on the field with the way he controls the game from the line of scrimmage. The Colts may depend more on Manning than any other team depends on its quarterback.

RB

Brian Westbrook

Eagles Best receiving running back in football, including Reggie Bush. Westbrook's injury probably kept the Eagles from reaching the Super Bowl in 2003. For a more recent example of how much he means to Philly's offense, go back and look at how it sputtered through the first half of the Green Bay game without him.

RB

Tiki Barber

Giants Accounted for 41 percent of New York's yards from scrimmage last season and is responsible for 35 percent thus far this season. The Giants will learn just how indispensable Barber is when he retires after the season.

WR

Hines Ward

Steelers Consistent, clutch, physical receiver who makes his presence felt in both the passing and running games. The only guy the champs can rely on with the free-agency defections the Steelers have suffered in recent years.

TE

Alge Crumpler

Falcons Only real receiving threat in the Falcons' sputtering passing game because he seems to be the only pass catcher Mike Vick trusts. Not to mention Crumpler's pretty good.

OT

Willie Anderson

Bengals Mainstay along a battered Bengals offensive line.

G

Shawn Andrews

Eagles Lost tons of weight in the offseason, now gaining reputation as one of the elite linemen in football. His improvement is a major reason Donovan McNabb is enjoying such good protection this year.

C

Olin Kreutz

Bears Leader of not just a veteran offensive line but also the NFC's best team. It's hard to appreciate just how intelligent and tough Kreutz is, but ask those who are in the trenches with him and they'll tell you few are on his level.

G

Steve Hutchinson

Vikings Had better be indispensable for $49 million, right?

OT

Walter Jones

Seahawks Consensus best pass protector in football. Matt Hasselbeck never has to worry about his blind side.

WR

Steve Smith

Panthers It's simple: The Panthers couldn't win without him, now they're 4-1 with him and they've doubled their scoring average since he's been back.

Funny, I remember Michael Smith declaring that "Tom Brady is a better QB than Peyton Manning" back in January of '05. What happened? :D

I disagree with Torry Holt not being on that list. While I could see Ward being a good fit for the possession receiver role (especially because of his pass-blocking), I wouldn't necessarily choose Smith over Holt. And Westbroke over LT??? LOL. :bash:

Here's mine...

SS - Polamalu

FS - Reed

CB - Bailey

CB - DeAngelo Hall

OLB - Lance Briggs

MLB - Ray Lewis

OLB - Brooking

DE - Peppers

NT - Casey Hampton

DT - Marcus Stroud

DE - Richard Seymour

QB - Peyton

FB - Lorenzo Neal (nobody starts two halfbacks :D )

HB - LT

OT - Walter Jones

G - Steve Hutchinson

C - Kreutz

G - Will Shields

OT - Orlando Pace

WR - Holt

WR - Ward

TE - Gates

Edited by Bill Swerski

I disagree with Torry Holt not being on that list. While I could see Ward being a good fit for the possession receiver role (especially because of his pass-blocking), I wouldn't necessarily choose Smith over Holt. And Westbroke over LT??? LOL. :D

The title of the list is "Most Indespensable", not "Best at Each Position". I look at this list as an MVP-type of list...which players hold the most value to their teams at each position?

The is no question Westbrook is more valuable in his role to the Eagles than LT is in his role to the Chargers. Michael Turner has proven more than adequate in stepping in for LT, while the same cannot be said for Buck/Moats filling in for Westbrook. The Chargers without LT are certainly a lesser team...the Eagles without Westbrook are crippled.

And while Ward certainly is no Holt in terms of overall talent, in the spirit of the list, I agree with the writer that Ward is much more valuable to the Steelers success than Holt is to the Rams.

The title of the list is "Most Indespensable", not "Best at Each Position". I look at this list as an MVP-type of list...which players hold the most value to their teams at each position?

The is no question Westbrook is more valuable in his role to the Eagles than LT is in his role to the Chargers. Michael Turner has proven more than adequate in stepping in for LT, while the same cannot be said for Buck/Moats filling in for Westbrook. The Chargers without LT are certainly a lesser team...the Eagles without Westbrook are crippled.

Turner looks great in the 4th quarter when the Chargers are up by two scores and are pounding away at a worn-out defensive line. But LT is the guy who got them there in the first place. Consider also LT's receiving and passing skills and it's difficult to imagine the Chargers being successful without him. And any team that plays "Marty Ball" is going to need a great blocking fullback to grind it out. That's where Neal comes in. Look at what Neal did for Eddie George and Corey Dillon in offenses that struggled to throw the ball effectively.

Westbrook is obviously valuable to the Eagles, but he's never healthy and is mediocre in between the tackles.

And while Ward certainly is no Holt in terms of overall talent, in the spirit of the list, I agree with the writer that Ward is much more valuable to the Steelers success than Holt is to the Rams.

I disagree. The Rams offense takes an enormous hit without Holt. Bruce doesn't have the speed that he once did and is merely a very good possession receiver at this point in time. The Rams need their home-run hitter to score points quickly, as their defense is awful. The Steelers, on the other hand, at least have the offensive talent to grind it out on the ground and the defensive talent keep the burden of scoring off of the offense. Ward is very valuable in many ways, but the Rams would struggle to have a winning record without Holt.

How can you choose Westbrook at RB over LT? Especially since ESPN sets him up as a receiving back, and Tiki Barber and LT are both very good receivers but LT can run circles around Westbrook.

Also, Hines Ward over Torry Holt? Huh???

I call BS.... :D

Indespensable refers to what they mean to their team. He is not naming the best players at every position. The Chargers have Turner. If LT goes down, it hurts, but, doesn't crush them. When Westbrook is out, the Eagels are a completely different offense. Also, Hines Ward's importance to the Steelers in both the running game and passing game is immense. He is the best blocking WR in football.

What a load of bull. With the defense shown for the past 2 years and not a single Chicago Bear on the defensive list? Kruetz is a given. But, no Urlacher, Briggs, Vasher, or Harris.

I think you missed the point of the list... if the Bears didn't have one of either Urlacher, Briggs, Vasher, or Harris, they'd still be one of the best because they have the other 3 guys.

This list isn't naming the best at the position... simply which single guy on a team means the most in terms of how much it effects his team if he were gone.

I think you missed the point of the list... if the Bears didn't have one of either Urlacher, Briggs, Vasher, or Harris, they'd still be one of the best because they have the other 3 guys.

This list isn't naming the best at the position... simply which single guy on a team means the most in terms of how much it effects his team if he were gone.

Please don't make me relive 2 years ago when Urlacher pulled his hammy. Bears went 0-6 without Urlacher. Phins will go 0-6 with or without Thomas. :D

Please don't make me relive 2 years ago when Urlacher pulled his hammy. Bears went 0-6 without Urlacher. Phins will go 0-6 with or without Thomas. :D

The Bears team two years ago was a pile of poopy. They would have gone 0-6 without their punter.

Today's deeper 2006 Bears team would be much more able to succeed without Urlacher...he's good, but he ain't the 2nd coming of Singletary....seeing him struggle in coverage the 1st quarter of the Cardinals game proved that point clearly.

(nobody starts two halfbacks :D )

Especially if you think about Westbrook AND Barber in the same backfield - the Saints do plenty of double-RB sets with Deuce and Bush, but they are two different sorts of backs; Westy and Tiki are kinda variations on the same guy.

Please don't make me relive 2 years ago when Urlacher pulled his hammy. Bears went 0-6 without Urlacher.

:D To restate what was said above, WITH Urlacher they maybe go 1-5. Wasn't Mike Brown missing that year as well?

Given that Maynard is one of the better punters in the league, I agree.

Deos this guy ever stop ? Maynard this and Maynard that. I've never seen such manlove for someone on this board in my entire life !!!!!