[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ACC Hoops Preview

billay

Roy Williams Tar Heels version 4.0 was revealed last night. Scary I tell you. Downright frightening. The Heels lost 1 significant player in David Noel from a team that overahcieved and ended up finishing 2nd in the ACC. They got bumped from the ACC tourney by a talented BC squad and lost in the NCAA tourney to suprise George Mason.

Oh what a difference a year makes...

The Tar Heels return ACC preseason player orf the year Tyler Hansbrough, but where he was the only big body the Heels had in the paint last year, we have brought in a handful of big boys. Brendan Wright, the #1 incoming power forward in the nation will start along side Hansbrough, and the two will be backed up by Alex Stephenson and Deon Thompson.

While the Heels will eventually have to slim down the rotation, they played 13 players last night :D and can easily substitute 5 players at a time. In addition to #1 PF Wright, the Heels also landed #1 point guard Ty Lawson and #1 shooting guard Wayne Ellington. Sophomore Bobby Frason returns and will start the season at the point, but will share significant minutes with Lawson, who may eventually take the starting spot from him.

Other returning Tar Heel lettermen include Marcus Gynyard, Danny Green, Wes Miller And Quinten Thomas.

The heels are going to run, run, run, and press as often as possible. The Heels should win a majority of their games simply by exhausting their opponents. They have enough personnel that any player who is not able to sprint and play at top speed for every second will be sat for a fresh player. The Heels should finish every game as fast as they began.

The Tar Heels are the overwhelming favorite to win the ACC this year and contend for a national title. This is the year to do it as both Hansbrough and Wright may opt to leave after this season.

and BTW,

DOOK SUCKS! :D

I haven't thought much about Duke yet since my G-Men are on a roll. However, I trust Coach K to have this team ready by ACC time.

The dookies should be interesting to watch this year. The have 3 returning lettermen and a good crop of freshman, but it's never business as usual when you have to replace an All-American 4 year letterman and another 4 year all-american who also happened to be national player of the year. K hasn't seen this much turnover since Brand, Magette and Avery went pro.

They will be walking a very thin line IMO. It's hard to win with freshman in this league and there are a number of ACC teams that are returning all 5 starters from last year. Dook will be strong on the interior with McRoberts and 7-footer Zoubek, but they may struggle from the preimeter, which has been their bread and butter for the better part of the last decade.

Roy Williams Tar Heels version 4.0 was revealed last night. Scary I tell you. Downright frightening. The Heels lost 1 significant player in David Noel from a team that overahcieved and ended up finishing 2nd in the ACC. They got bumped from the ACC tourney by a talented BC squad and lost in the NCAA tourney to suprise George Mason.

Oh what a difference a year makes...

The Tar Heels return ACC preseason player orf the year Tyler Hansbrough, but where he was the only big body the Heels had in the paint last year, we have brought in a handful of big boys. Brendan Wright, the #1 incoming power forward in the nation will start along side Hansbrough, and the two will be backed up by Alex Stephenson and Deon Thompson.

While the Heels will eventually have to slim down the rotation, they played 13 players last night :D and can easily substitute 5 players at a time. In addition to #1 PF Wright, the Heels also landed #1 point guard Ty Lawson and #1 shooting guard Wayne Ellington. Sophomore Bobby Frason returns and will start the season at the point, but will share significant minutes with Lawson, who may eventually take the starting spot from him.

Other returning Tar Heel lettermen include Marcus Gynyard, Danny Green, Wes Miller And Quinten Thomas.

The heels are going to run, run, run, and press as often as possible. The Heels should win a majority of their games simply by exhausting their opponents. They have enough personnel that any player who is not able to sprint and play at top speed for every second will be sat for a fresh player. The Heels should finish every game as fast as they began.

The Tar Heels are the overwhelming favorite to win the ACC this year and contend for a national title. This is the year to do it as both Hansbrough and Wright may opt to leave after this season.

and BTW,

DOOK SUCKS! :D

Agree with this. Kansas East should do well this year.

Agree with this. Kansas East should do well this year.

Jealousy will get you nowhere. At least not to the sweet 16 :D

Kansas is primed to break a few records this year......like losing to a 16 seed. :D

I saw the Terps play last night and they looked very good. DJ Strawberry has improved his game and Ibekwe will be a force to reckon with. A pair of FR guards can also run.

Gary will have these boys back in the tourney. No NIT this year! :D

Edited by justin

I saw the Terps play last night and they looked very good. DJ Strawberry has improved his game and Ibekwe will be a force to reckon with. A pair of FR guards can also run.

Gary will have these boys back in the tourney. No NIT this year! :D

I watched that game last night justin, and I agree. I think the terps are going to be very solid this year. They will have their off nights (as the Terps usually do) but on a good night, they'll be able to beat just about anybody. There are several teams in the ACC that will be in this category: Ga. Tech, FSU, UVA could all be very dangerous. Heck, even VT returned all 5 starters didn't they?

I have no idea what to expect from the WolfPack, but I don't expect them to win the ACC, however, I think they will be better than expected. Possible "Bubble Team" and NIT for sure, which in a way would be a decent start for Lowe.

Which side of the Amato fence are you PD?

Which side of the Amato fence are you PD?

I've grown tired of it myself, the team (football) has alot of talent and should do better than it does-underacheiver's for sure. The only thing I would like to see done if it were possible, would be for Cowher to take over if he leaves Pittsburgh.

Just finished the UNC/Gonzaga- wow, a few thoughts on the Heels......

- they have some nice individual pieces, but this team is a long way from being a serious title contender. Early, so the young ens have time, but boy they just

- Guard play is awful, until Lawson grows up- their backcourt is not nearly good enough to beat good teams.

- the Wright kid can play, I like his game a lot, will be a good one.

- Hansbrough is overrated, and whoever ends up grabbing him in the lobby will be sorry.

Sloppy last 10 minutes by both squads, Ravio looked terrible, played like a freshman. Zags look good, could end up being legit with Heytvelt, Pargo and Bouldin, wow is that kid a baller.

this team is a long way from being a serious title contender.

This was the only game I've seen the Tarheels play this year and I wouldn't be suprised if it ends up being one of their worst efforts. Gonzaga generally coudn't do squat in the 2nd half besides sitting on their lead. It's a long season and it seems fairly silly to state that such a young team with tons of raw talent can't be a contender.

This was the only game I've seen the Tarheels play this year and I wouldn't be suprised if it ends up being one of their worst efforts. Gonzaga generally coudn't do squat in the 2nd half besides sitting on their lead. It's a long season and it seems fairly silly to state that such a young team with tons of raw talent can't be a contender.

yeah, I realize that- silly? I am just stating what I saw tonight. Sure they can come together by March, but for now, that is not the #2 team in the country by a longhsot. Gonna take a lot more than that to compete with Fla, Memphis, UCLA, OSU. they will need Lawson to grow up quick and be a stud quickly.

Sure they can come together by March,

Well of course they can....I can't wait to watch more college basketball this year. Based on historical performances and recent play, I'm just wondering how one could defintiely and presently state that the 2007 Tar Heels are "a long way from being a serious title contender?" :D

Well of course they can....I can't wait to watch more college basketball this year. Based on historical performances and recent play, I'm just wondering how one could defintiely and presently state that the 2007 Tar Heels are "a long way from being a serious title contender?" :D

Because right now, they aren't. Not sure how else I can type it. Fla wipes the floor with them, and I think they are a notch below quite a few other teams right now.

As I write this, the heels are pretty well handling TENN just before the half.

Against Gonzaga, the Heels did not play well, but I think that you are reacting more to the hype, wildcat, than the facts. UNC returns all but 1 starter and 80% of its scoring from a team that went 12-4 in ACC play and finished a suprising second. They are infusing a hugh amout talent into the squad. The freshmen need ALOT of coaching and chemistry will be a long time in coming. The heels go a legit 12 deep and its difficult to develop chemistry when there are so many different possible linups to play with.

Gonzaga shot extremely well and got a few favorable calls when the heels were mounting a comeback. (Like the travel on Hansbrough that would have cut it to 2, or the over the back on Wright that clearly was not) The heels only shot 39% from the field :D and 55% from the free throw line, despite getting to the 1-and-1 with 12 minutes to play. (They also got to the mandatory 2 shots at 10 fouls with 9-10 minutes to play, which should have been enough to win the game)

Hansbrough overrated? That's just ridiculous. You are obviously basing that opinion on one game. There's no way you watch that kid play and can't see that he's one of the hardest working kids in basketball and very talented. Again, methinks you are reacting to the hype, not the facts.

Based on talent, depth, and coaching, the Tar Heels are clearly one of the top teams in the nation. As I said, they need a lot of coaching (defense in particular) and they are not yet playing "Roy Williams Basketball" (sorry MeatFace :D ), but by March, I'll wager that the Heels will be ACC Champs and a top seed in the tourney.

As I write this, the heels are pretty well handling TENN just before the half.

Against Gonzaga, the Heels did not play well, but I think that you are reacting more to the hype, wildcat, than the facts. UNC returns all but 1 starter and 80% of its scoring from a team that went 12-4 in ACC play and finished a suprising second. They are infusing a hugh amout talent into the squad. The freshmen need ALOT of coaching and chemistry will be a long time in coming. The heels go a legit 12 deep and its difficult to develop chemistry when there are so many different possible linups to play with.

Gonzaga shot extremely well and got a few favorable calls when the heels were mounting a comeback. (Like the travel on Hansbrough that would have cut it to 2, or the over the back on Wright that clearly was not) The heels only shot 39% from the field :D and 55% from the free throw line, despite getting to the 1-and-1 with 12 minutes to play. (They also got to the mandatory 2 shots at 10 fouls with 9-10 minutes to play, which should have been enough to win the game)

Hansbrough overrated? That's just ridiculous. You are obviously basing that opinion on one game. There's no way you watch that kid play and can't see that he's one of the hardest working kids in basketball and very talented. Again, methinks you are reacting to the hype, not the facts.

Based on talent, depth, and coaching, the Tar Heels are clearly one of the top teams in the nation. As I said, they need a lot of coaching (defense in particular) and they are not yet playing "Roy Williams Basketball" (sorry MeatFace :D ), but by March, I'll wager that the Heels will be ACC Champs and a top seed in the tourney.

Fair enough Billay- I was not reacting to any hype at all- just giving some thoughts on what I saw in the GU game, who by the way impressed and surpised me, they could be damn good. If not for the 10 minute meltdown they beat em by 20. Pargo, Heytvelt, studs. Raivio can be good, although he is up and down, Bouldin- wow he was clearly the 2nd best frosh on the floor behind Wright. Plus they get Burgess, a 6'10 BYU transfer, back 12/15. ok, back to the Heels - totally, it is one game- I am just not convinced they have the guard play to make a serious deep run is all. There are some outstanding point guards this year, and I was not impressed with the Heels guards at all. Hansbrough is a solid player, I just think Heytvelt swatting him a couple times had him thinking, as evidenced by the travel- not sure what you saw- but he clearly shuffled his feet. A very solid player, overrated in terms of a lotter pick. I am watchin Nick Collison up close here in Seattle- those type kids are just too limited for be good at the NBA level. Talented team no doubt, time will tell how they can come together- I just can't see beating quality teams with Frasor and Miller getting consistent minutes, those guys will get abused. Early,but I don't see them close to Fla, UCLA, and a few others so far.

I see your point about guard play, but remember that Lawson and Ellington were the #1 PG and SG in the nation in this class. They're just freshmen. The Zags had some terrific quickness on the perimeter and the frosh were having trouble staying in front of them because they haven't learned how to play defense yet. Heck, the Heels even gave Quentin Thomas some minutes in the hopes he'd be able to stay in front of those guys, but to no avail.

Bottom line is this, the Heels are only going to get better. They're not going to shoot 38% from the floor every game, and they ran into Gonzaga on a night when they were hot. It was a good loss for the heels. We have a lot of ego to swallow: the top recruiting class in the nation comes in and is then ranked #1-#2 in the country? These new kids have to learn that talent doewsn;'t win ballgames. They'll learn, and watch out when they do.

Well billay, I am begining to think that the Terps belong in the upper quartile of the ACC (instead of the middle - where they were projected). They looked solid at Champagne (sp?) without their star big man. If Ibekwe's injury is minor, and he is back on the court soon, than I think the Terps are primed for a great season.

Vasquez, the rookie/freshman, took over the game against Ill in the second half and was the man. Mike Jones lit it up early on and the Terps ended the Illini's 51 game home win streak against non-conference foes.

Go Terps!