[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Next years #1 FF pick

xMRogers

I've had some conversations where everyone says "no question next year - clear cut LT is the pick". makes sense....except if I get the top slot, probably won't be picking him for the same reason I had him number one on my board this year (drafted 6th, so didn't matter, but told the guy at 1 to take him - he took SA instead).

Reason is : people have career years and they are that - the best year of their career. For the top players, this means record breaking sorts of years. SA had his last year. LJ may or may not have had his last year. Manning had his that 49 TD year - eveyryone thought "next year, 50" - I said then...umm, isn't it much more likely he does 30 since 49 was a record"

LT is having his this year - he's going to be worse next year. Now, his "worse" may still be the best player, but someone else will probably step up. (Possibly LJ again, or could be a young gun).

Point is - just don't think it's that cut and dried.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Point is - just don't think it's that cut and dried.

eh, it's about as cut and dried as you can get.

of course, that's no guarantee LT actually performs as the #1 fantasy player. but he's got a better shot at it than anyone else, by quite a bit. hence, you'd have to basically be an idiot to take anyone OTHER than LT first overall.

of course, that's no guarantee LT actually performs as the #1 fantasy player. but he's got a better shot at it than anyone else, by quite a bit. hence, you'd have to basically be an idiot to take anyone OTHER than LT first overall.

Well, he is an Eagles fan.

the thing with LT2 is that his success has as much to do with his offense, his QB, and his TE. as long as there are no injuries or player losses then you can expect 20 TDs again next year. Rivers is fabulous at converting on 3rd down. its not like Tomlinson does it all on his own.

Rivers doesn't get enough credit for SD's success. when defenses try to stack against the run, Rivers makes the throws downfield to back them off.

i go Tomlinson for sure next year.

and don't forget, Trent Green is getting older which doesn't help LJ and Alexander already got his contract.

:D That's what people said after last year about SA.

I think next season is going to be very interesting. LT is getting a lot of touches, and will probably have a Sb long season for the first time in his career. I think that will make a difference. LJ is getting too many carries, regardless of what he says. SA will be fresh after this season, but is getting older and could start to succumb to the injury bug.

The point is that I think it will be as random as it was this year. I'll probably be leaning towards LJ, as my man-crush has yet to subside.

uhhh...no? just as many people had him ranked 2nd or 3rd as had him first. not remotely comparable to the clear-cut #1 status of LT going into next season.

I think next season is going to be very interesting. LT is getting a lot of touches, and will probably have a Sb long season for the first time in his career. I think that will make a difference. LJ is getting too many carries, regardless of what he says. SA will be fresh after this season, but is getting older and could start to succumb to the injury bug.

The point is that I think it will be as random as it was this year. I'll probably be leaning towards LJ, as my man-crush has yet to subside.

it will not be like last year. barring anything unforeseen at this point, LT will go first in 90+% of fantasy drafts next year.

looks like only one person sees it the way I do (and beleive me, if I actually end up drafting number 1, not sure I won't take LT but will be looking at others hard to find someone ready to explode).

Here's kindof a test - where would you bet $100 right now in this wager :

Top FF Scorer next season will be :

LT

vs

Anyone else (field)

I'd bet field

uhhh...no? just as many people had him ranked 2nd or 3rd as had him first. not remotely comparable to the clear-cut #1 status of LT going into next season.

I was unaware you had this data available already. Mea Culpa. Your powers of precognition continue to impress me.

it will not be like last year. barring anything unforeseen at this point, LT will go first in 90+% of fantasy drafts next year.

So say we all. (not including me, of course)

Was there not post after post after post about which one of the Big 3 should be taken #1? I don't think SA was a consenus by any means (in fact it seems as more people leaned to LJ). Next year's LT will be the #1 pick, just like the years of Priest Holmes/Marshall Faulk.

It is absolutely true that players that end up as #1 in their position rarely repeat the next year. But - approaching a draft is not so much trying to pick a player that you believe is a lock to be #1 but that offers the greatest combination of low risk and high production and it is hard to argue that even in a drop off year that LT won't perform very well and probably is as low risk of a player that you could possibly find next summer.

looks like only one person sees it the way I do (and beleive me, if I actually end up drafting number 1, not sure I won't take LT but will be looking at others hard to find someone ready to explode).

Here's kindof a test - where would you bet $100 right now in this wager :

Top FF Scorer next season will be :

LT

vs

Anyone else (field)

I'd bet field

I can just see it now, with the #1 overall pick, I pick the field! :D

You don't want to gamble with your first round pick. If you get the #1 pick, you're trying to pick a guy that will be top 5, not necessarily #1 overall (that would be a bonus). So, who has the best chance of anyone to be top 5? LT bar none.

Was there not post after post after post about which one of the Big 3 should be taken #1? I don't think SA was a consenus by any means (in fact it seems as more people leaned to LJ). Next year's LT will be the #1 pick, just like the years of Priest Holmes/Marshall Faulk.

IIRC, that was later. This time last year it was all SA hype.

I think that next year's draft will mirror this year's in a lot of ways... not the order of the players picked necessarily, but in the idea that the top 3 picks should be agreed upon by most owners, and after that its much more up in the air.

I was unaware you had this data available already. Mea Culpa. Your powers of precognition continue to impress me.

well that data is sort of available everywhere :D

how many debates were there here and everywhere about who was number 1 between LJ, LT, and SA? there was CLEARLY no consensus #1, and even if there was i don't think it was shaun alexander as you assert.

DMD's point is a good one, especially for next year - while I don't think LT repeats, I don't know who takes over (yet) and barring injury I do know that LT will be top 3-5, so LT would be the "safe" pick.

But compared to last year, the LT angle is a bit accurate if you count SA and LJ combined as LT in that they both came off monster years and was hard to choose between the two, while LT had a "normal" for him year (and had the QB issue) so people saw him mostly as the 2/3 pick.

Next year, a guy at the 2/3/4 pick could be the guy.....just gotta figure out who it is.