[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ahman Green - what is his future?

Savage Beatings

Packers homers...

What does the future hold for Ahman Green? Do you guys think he will come back strong and healthy next season (or ever again)? Is there an heir apparent to Green in either Herron or Morency (whether for next season or whenever Green is done)? Or will the Packers look for their future RB in the draft or Free Agency?

This is Green's final contract year (I think he signed a one year extension last offseason). and the Packers need to till the soil. I would expect him to be gone and probably land with another team in a nonstarting role.

Morency is not a fulltime back but a decent relief guy IMO. I would think GB goes to getting a FA or a rookie runner. Herron is a nice backup but nothing more.

Posted on Fri, Nov. 10, 2006

Green confirms talk of extension

Associated Press

Running back Ahman Green confirmed Thursday that his agents are in talks with the Green Bay Packers to extend his contract.

www.twincities.com

Green will be back with the Pack next year as they feel they're very close to being legitimately cometitive again. Resignning Green would also go a long ways in convincing Favre to return as well.

Between Morency & Herron, Morency is the back I've heard very positive rumblings about coming from Green Bay.

I think Green should be done. I'd like to let him go and get a Marshawn Lynch in the 1st round. I think we'll be picking too low to get Peterson.

I've said that Green hasn't been the same since the Washington game in 2004. That's a long time to wait for a guy to 'return to greatness.' I'm glad for what he did while he's here, but it's time to move on.

I think Green should be done. I'd like to let him go and get a Marshawn Lynch in the 1st round. I think we'll be picking too low to get Peterson.

I've said that Green hasn't been the same since the Washington game in 2004. That's a long time to wait for a guy to 'return to greatness.' I'm glad for what he did while he's here, but it's time to move on.

Well, behind a reconfigured OL that has been leaning heavily on 3 rookies, he's had a 1000 yd season (well, 988 in 13 games - a tidy 76 ypg avg), a solid 4 ypc, and 5 100 yd games. Also, watching him run, he still shows decent burst and finishes hard.

He may not be "great" but he's certainly a solid back; if he comes cheaply enough, I have no problem with him being the #1 guy for another year - even at this point, he's better than a guy like Edgar Bennett ever was.

I think he'll be back although I see him finishing up the season rather weakly against Chicago. I initially thought it would take 2 years for Green to be back in any real form, and he did a lot better this year than I thought he would. I think he will have a peak year next season and then fade into retirement.

Well, behind a reconfigured OL that has been leaning heavily on 3 rookies, he's had a 1000 yd season (well, 988 in 13 games - a tidy 76 ypg avg), a solid 4 ypc, and 5 100 yd games. Also, watching him run, he still shows decent burst and finishes hard.

He may not be "great" but he's certainly a solid back; if he comes cheaply enough, I have no problem with him being the #1 guy for another year - even at this point, he's better than a guy like Edgar Bennett ever was.

I guess you're right, IF he comes cheaply enough. He doesn't deserve a huge deal with any length to it. If we could pair him with a Lynch, all the better! I like how the 2 RB system has worked out for Dallas, NE, NO, Jax, etc. this year. Plus, keeping Green fresh and non-asthmatic is always a good thing.