[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Odd situation; need some advice

Tford

I'm in a bit of an odd situation in a new keeper (keep 3) league that I joined. The inaugral draft order was drawn and I drew 6th of 12; giving me 1.06, 2.07 etc. The team that drew 1.01 repeatedly stated that he was interested in shopping the 1.01 pick.

I laid out a modest initial offer hoping to spur some negotiations of my 1.06, 2.07, 6.07 and 08 1st rd for his, 1.01, 2.12, 15.01 and 08 4th rd. He countered swapping out my 6.07 pick for my 4.07 and I accepted. Despite other deals being on the table, he accepted mine. Done deal.

About a week after, he emails me back saying that he didn't know that the league was a keeper league depsite the league rules stating it as well as the league invitation. He also says that many people that he has talked to said that he did not ask enough for the deal and he'd like to reopen negotiations. I found out later that he had unsuccessfully lobbied the commish to overturn the trade.

This league has gotten off to a rocky start and I'd like to see it succeed but in my opinion the initial deal was fair market value as my deal was the deal out of the offers available. However, I do understand that he may have changed his mind about trading if he had knew about the keepers initially.

What would you say to this guy if you were in my shoes? And more importantly, how would you say it?

I found out later that he had unsuccessfully lobbied the commish to overturn the trade.

Well, that's the answer right there. He might want to get out of it now, but your Commissioner as an objective judge has said that the trade is binding. You cannot be expected to agree to back out of the deal at this point.

That being said, if you want to go that extra mile for the sake of some kind of league harmony or some such reason and allow him to back out of the trade, then that's entirely your own call. I'm not sure if I would let him off the hook or not. Most likely not. What kind of fool doesn't understand the fundamental tentats of your league such as the fact that there are three keepers? I'd say that its probably not going to be the last time that this guy is going to screw up in this league. You'll just be the first one of many, to benefit from his lack of attention to detail.

Wow...what a sticky situation to start off with :D. Still, it is each owners responsibility to fully know the rules before beginning the trade process, and if both the league rules and the league invite stated that it will be a keeper league, than it is his responsibility to know this. Also, the league commish has already ruled not to overturn the trade. In my opinion you should stand pat with the trade that has already occurred. Remember, he didn't come back and ask you the next day or even a couple days later, but only returned a full week later. Also, he went to the league commish before even talking to you about the trade first. I may be wrong, but its my opinion that you try to handle it amongst yourselves first before getting a third party (the commish) involved.

All of us at one time or another will make a trade that we later regret and just have to live with it. Its a part of fantasy sports.

Sounds like you followed the rules. The commish has a backbone and backed you. Good for him. The other owner should have been aware of what type of league he was in.

Bingo. Stick by the trade -- and honor the decision of the commish. Case closed. :D

Stick by your guns. He shopped the pick, you made a good offer which was accepted. The commish did right by enforcing the rules. Don't lose any sleep over making a good deal. He shopped the pick and it is his responsibility to know the rules of the league especially something as basic as keeper or not.

This league has gotten off to a rocky start and I'd like to see it succeed .............. And more importantly, how would you say it?

Say it in a manner that will pee him off and make him quit.

Some tiny details are undersandably missed when joining a new leagues but if a person joins a league they should at least know the type of league they are joining.

Not knowing shows a lack of caring or a serious ADD problem neither being good for the longevity of the league.

S, let me get this straight. Your trade included '08 picks andthis guy is still going to try and claim he was naware that it was a keeper league? Not sure about any of you, but I have never played in or even heard of a non-keeper league that allows you to trade future picks.

this guy is obviously having sellers remorse even though I think he got a pretty good deal, definitely far value for the pick

S, let me get this straight. Your trade included '08 picks andthis guy is still going to try and claim he was naware that it was a keeper league? Not sure about any of you, but I have never played in or even heard of a non-keeper league that allows you to trade future picks.

this guy is obviously having sellers remorse even though I think he got a pretty good deal, definitely far value for the pick

+1 I would be worried that this league is going to be ongoing problems

Sigh, who would have thought that a guy would have so many issues surrounding a cheap league? The issue seems to have quelled itself down after I mustered the guts to assert myself a bit (not my forte).

Thanks for the responses.