[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Ditzy Chicks

spain

Ditto rap.

I can't get into rap, so I share your pain, but I have found stuff that isn't fingernails on a chalkboard - actually, some Atmosphere and Sage Francis is enjoyable to me, just not enjoyable enough to seek out a full album of it.

But different strokes, I guess.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to industry observers, nothing has changed between country radio and the Chicks, and there's no reason to expect that it will, even with the trio's winning a Grammy for Best Country Album and another for Best Country Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal — not to mention overall album, record and song prizes.

"Country radio is not going to be responsive to the Dixie Chicks' Grammy wins because the Grammy voters are music industry professionals, who aren't reflective of the country radio audience," says Ed Salamon, executive director of Country Radio Broadcasters, the trade organization that hosts the annual Country Radio Seminar.

Call me crazy, but I'll lay odds the Dixie Chicks make enough coin from country radio playing their pre-W-flap hits that they'll be fine if country radio ignores their output from here on out.

It is true that country music has jettisonned stars that didn't march to conservative ideals before. k.d. lang is a prime example. In fact, I can't really think of any country artist that is successful and has expressed a liberal view.

I can't think of any other genre of music that has blackballed stars like that. :D

Rap blackballs stars who respect women.

I think you probably know less about country music than me, and that is saying alot! Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, just to name a few old school names. There are alot of liberal country music folks. But your timing, style, and credibility are going to play into what you can get away with. Especially in the entertainment fields. But I would say that the majority of hard core country music fans are indeed conservatives.

spain is correct here - back in the late 60s/early 70s, Cash was generally leaning about as far left as it came - but it was the CHRISTIAN left, which probably bought him some grace with the core country audience.

Willie and Waylon were sorta their own men - they had a lot in common with the hippies, but their creation/embrace of the whole "outlaw" ethic struck a chord with social misfits of all sorts, be they conservative OR liberal.

As far as the current crop goes, Steve Earle is RAGINGLY liberal (he's the guy who wrote "John Walker's Blues"), and has a pretty solid core audience, but doesn't seem able to expand past his 250,000 range. Part of that is no doubt due to the fact that, as spain says, the bulk of the country audience tends to the conservative - but everyone loves "Copperhead Road."

Those bad boys you may have named may not have been model citizens, but they certainly never flat out spoke out against conservative platform issues as say, a Bono, has. I really don't think Cash, Jennings, Nelson or Hank Jr were ever political. They were just rebels against straight-laced Wellsian country & western.

True to an extent, but Johnny Cash in particular was a big proponent of social justice and vocally against the Vietnam War - if not so much for himself, he was in favor of giving those against a platform to speak.

I can't much help that you can't discuss politics without resorting to juvenile name-calling. Nor can I help the fact that you're a very cynical and unhappy person with obvious self-esteem issues.

Physician, heal thyself.

This is up to 6 pages?? It's an awards show, was someone actually thinking it means anything but face time on TV for anyone in the industry? :D

Get inta the kichen an make me a sammich, woman.

I see your point but who (apart from the artist) cares? Virtually all the music I buy these days is from the long tail made available by the Internet. Most of it no-one's heard of but that doesn't make it any less good to me. Anyway, hardly any of it is new - I tend to fill gaps I never got around to, more than anything.

True.

Of course, when filling in the gaps, take a gander at "best contempo folk" and see what pops up, wouldja? :D

True.

Of course, when filling in the gaps, take a gander at "best contempo folk" and see what pops up, wouldja? :D

Just got the first (and only) Warpig CD and also Mastodon's Leviathan. I wish I'd taken the trouble to go see the latter in Minny last week.

On the folk front, I'm pretty ignorant of the whole genre. My experience goes as far as Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span, pretty much.

Just got the first (and only) Warpig CD and also Mastodon's Leviathan. I wish I'd taken the trouble to go see the latter in Minny last week.

On the folk front, I'm pretty ignorant of the whole genre. My experience goes as far as Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span, pretty much.

I've heard good things about Mastodon, but really haven't heard them yet.

TAKIN' MY COUNTRY BACK

COUNTRY MUSIC'S GOT MAMAS AND DADDYS

WE GOT BAR ROOMS AND OLD HEARTBREAK SONGS

BUT I 'M HERE TODAY TO STAND UP AND SAY

HOW I FEEL ABOUT MY HOME SWEET HOME

WHAT'S LEFT, WHAT'S RIGHT AND WHAT'S WRONG... AND

I’M TAKIN’ MY COUNTRY BACK

SON, YOU AIN'T BEEN DOIN’ HER RIGHT

OH I BEEN WATCHIN’ YOU AND I DON’T LIKE

HOW YOU'VE BEEN TREATIN’ MY STARS AND STRIPES

YOU TOOK OUR JOBS AND SENT ‘EM OVERSEAS

NOW WE OWE BILLIONS TO THE RED CHINESE

YOU BLEW THE BUDGET AND YOU BOTCHED IRAQ

SO I’M TAKIN’ MY COUNTRY BACK

WE HAD A BUNDLE IN THE TREASURY DRAWER

MORE THAN THERE HAD EVER BEEN BEFORE

BUT EVERY DAY WE'RE DROWNIN' DEEPER IN DEBT

MAYBE FOUR YEARS SHOULD BE ALL YOU GET

THEN YOU GAVE TAX BREAKS TO THE MILLIONAIRES

AND TRIED TO MAKE THE WORKIN’ MAN PAY

BUT YOU CAN’T TAX A MAN WHEN HIS JOBS NOT THERE

NOW LOOK AT WHERE WE ARE TODAY…HEY

YOU GOT TOO MANY FANCY FRIENDS FOR ME

THE SAUDIS TREAT YOU LIKE YOU'RE ROYALTY

YOU BLEW THE BUDGET AND YOU BOTCHED IRAQ

NOW I’M TAKIN’ MY COUNTRY BACK

NOW I CAN UNDERSTAND WHY YOU WERE HOT

'CAUSE BIN LADEN NEVER DID GET CAUGHT

SO YOU SAID WE HAD SADDAM TO BLAME

TRIED TO TELL US IT WAS ALL THE SAME

BUT NOW THE YEARS ROLL BY AND OUR KIDS KEEP DYIN'

YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE A PLAN TO BRING 'EM HOME

AND THOSE W.M.D. YOU PROMISED ON T.V.

HEY ADMIT IT, YOU FIGURED IT WRONG... SO I'M TAKIN' MY COUNTRY BACK

NOW YOU DON’T KNOW MY NAME, BUT YOU KNOW WHO I AM

I'M YOUR EVERYDAY WORK HARD, PLAY HARD

RAISE KIDS AND PRAY HARD COMMON MAN....

AND LORD KNOWS I LOVE THIS LAND...THAT'S WHY

YOU SAY "UNITE" BUT YOU DIVIDE US MORE

CUSSIN' EACH OTHER ON THE SENATE FLOOR

AIN'T WE SUPPOSED TO BE ABOVE ALL THAT ?

HEY I’M TAKIN’ MY COUNTRY BACK

I GOT MY FAMILY AND MY CHURCH AND FLAG...

NOW I'M TAKIN' MY COUNTRY BACK

:D

"Contemporary folk" isn't "folk" per se...that's where Steve Earle, Warren Zevon, Tom Waits, Springsteen, etc tend to get ghetto-ized.

07 nominees:

Best Contemporary Folk/Americana Album

(Vocal or Instrumental.)

* Solo Acoustic Vol. 1 - Jackson Browne

* Black Cadillac - Rosanne Cash

* Workbench Songs - Guy Clark

* Modern Times - Bob Dylan

* All The Roadrunning - Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris

List of recent winners:

05 - John Prine - Fair & Square

04 - Steve Earle - The Revolution Starts...NOW

03 - Warren Zevon - The Wind

02 - Nickel Creek - This Side (bluegrass)

01 - Bob Dylan - Love and Theft

00 - Emmylou Harris - Red Dirt Girl

99 - Tom Waits - Mule Variations

98 - Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road

97 - Bob Dylan - Time Out of Mind

96 - Springsteen - The Ghost of Tom Joad

95 - Emmylou Harris - Wrecking Ball

94 - Johnny Cash - American Recordings

....I looked the winners up, all I knew was that it was sort of a "misfit" category - and it appears to be where they honor artists who probably don't sell a ton, but just write and perform good stuff. I can unreservedly recommend ANYTHING by Waits, Zevon, and Harris, and Dylan, Cash, and Springsteen don't need me to pimp them. Of the 17 albums listed, I can vouch that 13 would NOT be folk by most people's definition.

"Contemporary folk" isn't "folk" per se...that's where Steve Earle, Warren Zevon, Tom Waits, Springsteen, etc tend to get ghetto-ized.

07 nominees:

List of recent winners:

05 - John Prine - Fair & Square

04 - Steve Earle - The Revolution Starts...NOW

03 - Warren Zevon - The Wind

02 - Nickel Creek - This Side (bluegrass)

01 - Bob Dylan - Love and Theft

00 - Emmylou Harris - Red Dirt Girl

99 - Tom Waits - Mule Variations

98 - Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road

97 - Bob Dylan - Time Out of Mind

96 - Springsteen - The Ghost of Tom Joad

95 - Emmylou Harris - Wrecking Ball

94 - Johnny Cash - American Recordings

....I looked the winners up, all I knew was that it was sort of a "misfit" category - and it appears to be where they honor artists who probably don't sell a ton, but just write and perform good stuff. I can unreservedly recommend ANYTHING by Waits, Zevon, and Harris, and Dylan, Cash, and Springsteen don't need me to pimp them. Of the 17 albums listed, I can vouch that 13 would NOT be folk by most people's definition.

My dad used to be a big John Prine fan. Has a few of his records.

Dicksee clitz aren't political? :D Who the hell said that?

Stars Gather In Effort To Oust Bush

6 August 2004 (WENN)

Bruce Springsteen and Pearl Jam have teamed up alongside an array of other musicians to host a series of concerts to try and oust President George W Bush. The gigs will take place in America's nine "swing states" - territories which currently could easily go to either Bush or his presidential race opponent John Kerry. Springsteen says, "I feel this is one of the most critical elections in my lifetime. This wasn't one that a concerned citizen felt comfortable sitting out." Springsteen will be joined by The Dixie Chicks... Outspoken Dixie Chick Natalie Maines notes, "A change is in order. There's never been a political climate like this, which is so the polar opposite of me as a person and what I believe in."

Oh they have injected themselves straight into politics, a reason they canceled all those shows last year.

Timeline:

August 2003 - Country rockers The Dixie Chicks are likely to be the top grossing touring act in their genre this year

Sept 2003 - The Dixie Chicks have indicated they want to sever ties with country music

2006 - Country music group the Dixie Chicks have cancelled 14 concerts on their north American tour and delayed others.

Sounds like they are doing swell... :D