[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I Hurt My Shoulder

spain

What I like better is MMA fights. My wife wont watch any of them with me and she says its barbaric. I personally love to watch people beat the living shi@te out of each other. Men watch UFC. Faqs watch American Idol.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are huge and so strong mentally it is very impessiv

The king right now is the polish guy , mariuz poszianowski ....what beast ...believe he has won it 3 years in a row and going strong ...

That dude is a f'n monster. Uncredible strength.

I was in the gym on Monday working out my shoulders. I was using a barbell doing military presses with 175 pounds, which is my max for 3 reps. I worked up to it with a pyramid of increasing weights each set and decreasing reps. So, I do my 3 reps and have no problems. Take some weight off and do another set of higher reps. Nor problem at all. Finished my workout and everything was fine.

During the day, I start to notice that both of my shoulders are really sore. Especially my right shoulder. By that evening I knew that it was more than just being sore from a hard workout. Last night, everytime I rolled over on my right shoulder, I woke up in pain. Something is definitely wrong with my right shoulder. Standing still with my arm at my side, when I raise it out laterally, it is very very painful. Its actually painful anytime I move it. I have no idea what I did, but I didnt pop or pull anything. And there was no immediate trauma when I was at the weight pile. Any ideas here?

Use more lube on your reach-arounds.

I am a southerner. We are naturally stronger. Think Chuck Norris and Teddy Bruschi mulitplied by 10. Just getting back into it and I am already benching 275 pounds for 3 reps. Was trying to build it up to 325 by summer. Looks like I am going to be set back awhile by this shoulder injury. It is hurting like a mofo whenever I move it. And I hurt it on Monday morning.

spain, I think I'm only a few years older than you, and also got my sorry ass back into weight training a while back, and I have one generalized opinion on the matter:

No matter how much you want to, you can't train in your 40s as you did in your 20s. If you are pyramiding and doing three reps you're pushing it for no real good reason except to increase your liklihood of injury.

There are exceptions to that rule, of course, but methinks they tend to be genetic freaks. Do you ever go to the t-nation forum? Some good info there for over-40 lifters. I found it after getting derailed too many times by small injuries from overdoing it. Nothing serious, but enough to keep me out of the gym for a while, which is of course self-defeating.

There is no way I'd go with fewer than six reps on the heavy days, per the advice of a trainer (who is almost 60 and looks 35, btw). A lot of them recommend you (40+ guys) even just stick with whole-body workouts, but I find those unsatisfying (I prefer a 4-day split, and I use machines more than I did when I was younger; there's no shame in Hammer Strength).

"No pain no gain" is a really bad mantra for a guy your age. Your focus should be on building functional strength, not weight goals, imho. Sorry to sound like Oprah, but I just care too much. Think of the sheep.

spain, I think I'm only a few years older than you, and also got my sorry ass back into weight training a while back, and I have one generalized opinion on the matter:

No matter how much you want to, you can't train in your 40s as you did in your 20s. If you are pyramiding and doing three reps you're pushing it for no real good reason except to increase your liklihood of injury.

There are exceptions to that rule, of course, but methinks they tend to be genetic freaks. Do you ever go to the t-nation forum? Some good info there for over-40 lifters. I found it after getting derailed too many times by small injuries from overdoing it. Nothing serious, but enough to keep me out of the gym for a while, which is of course self-defeating.

There is no way I'd go with fewer than six reps on the heavy days, per the advice of a trainer (who is almost 60 and looks 35, btw). A lot of them recommend you (40+ guys) even just stick with whole-body workouts, but I find those unsatisfying (I prefer a 4-day split, and I use machines more than I did when I was younger; there's no shame in Hammer Strength).

"No pain no gain" is a really bad mantra for a guy your age. Your focus should be on building functional strength, not weight goals, imho. Sorry to sound like Oprah, but I just care too much. Think of the sheep.

Of course, you are correct sir. I shouldnt be lifting heavy except for the fact that I love to lift heavy weights. Some people enjoy lifting weights and some dont. I understand alot of my huddle brethern would rather watch American Idol than to push iron around. My shoulder is killing me now though, so I guess I should have put on the Judy Garland show tunes and drank a cranberry spritzer as I waited for Simon, Janet, and Randy to come on, like the rest of these Oprahized pole smokers around here.

I am very familiar with T-Nation although I dont post over there. They have one forum called "Sex and the Male Animal" that has some pretty fun stuff sometimes. And the site as a whole has some very good stuff for muscleheads and old farts like us. Bodybuilding.com is also pretty informative. Big Daddys plans to get back on swole will have to wait awhile unfortunately!

Don't fight it spain ...embrace it and give it a try :

Pumping iron during and while watching american idol is the ultimate high ....janet says hello by the way

:D

Dam I bet that closet was nasty with all you queers huddled up in there... :D

A few questions for you:

1) Your age

2) How often do you work your shoulders each week

3) What is your normal lifting split each week

4) How much weight could you lift with your right arm today doing either a side or front lateral compared to pre-injury

1. 43

2. Once per week

3. Monday: shoulders

Tuesday: Chest

Thursday: Legs/Arms

Friday: Back

4. My arm hurts just lifting it up. I havent tried to lift any weights since Monday.

I am an avid lifter also of similar age. I hurt my right shoulder about 18 months ago. The doc said I had a slap tear.

http://www.toc-stl.com/info/slap.htm

He suggested I perform physical therapy, then surgery if not better. I read up on the subject, and decided to work the problem out on my own in the gym. I did have a massage therapist work on my shoulder for about two months after the injury. I highly recommend one.

I would take a couple weeks off from lifting and see your doctor. Of course, ice and ibuprofen should be used right away. I got back into the gym after the pain subsided somewhat (2 weeks) and concentrated on resistance training initially. Doing front and side lateral using cables can be very beneficial. Use very low weight (10-15 lbs) and do 12-15 reps. Don’t rush yourself.

I have always lifted heavy so I know how hard it is to slow down when you have goals for yourself. My right shoulder is still not as strong as my left when doing front and side laterals, but I have gained a considerable amount of strength overall. I don’t lift as heavy on military as you do. I try to keep the repetitions at a minimum of 6-8(125lbs), looking to build more mass then overall strength. Make sure you mix in dumbbells occasionally when your strength comes back.

Shoulders are used in virtually all body part lifting other then legs. Even when you’re curling or working your tris, your shoulders are under stress. I would give yourself one day rest between shoulders and your next body part. Also, spread out chest and shoulder workouts as far as you can in your calendar week. For instance, shoulders on Monday and chest on Thursday. 10-12 sets for shoulders should be sufficient.

Remember if you’re lucky, you have 40 more years of life. But more importantly, you have to live in your body for those 40 years. Play it safe and slow down.

Good luck.

Could have damaged the bursa in the shoulder joint which is rather painful because they no longer lubricate the socket. It is pretty common if you worked out your shoulders more than usual. If it is that, nothing you can do but let it heal I think.

The Old Testament speaks of "if your hand is your problem, cut it off" ... Perhaps removal of the shoulder is in order ... :D

• 1 month later...

Ok, I havent lifted weights since I heard my shoulder a couple months ago. As a matter of fact, I havent done any exercise at all. I tried to run a couple times but the jarring on my shoulder was just to f'n painful. This thing isnt getting any better. I finally went to the doctor today. He took some X-Rays and then examined me. He said I definitely have a torn rotator cuff and probably a torn labrum as well. I am getting an MRI next Monday to be sure. He will tell me after that if I need a scoping or a cutting or both. This sucks! :D

I will say that having this injury sucks. It wakes me up whenever I roll on my right side at night. Its dam near impossible to reach across with my right hand to grab my shoulder harness seat belt. And something in there "catches" whenever I raise my arm. I have no idea what is catching on what, but it feels like I am being stabbed in the shoulder joing with a hot serrated machete. This sucks.

Edited by spain

Feel for you - tore mine skiing when i was much younger (and had no health insurance). It was always sore, but when I picked something up straight in front of me the "wrong" way, searing pain (considering I was bartending at the time....let's just say I dropped my share of drinks on people for a few months).

Only good thing is once I realized skiing was probably done for the year and started lookign around, ended up with a job in the florida keys - nice Va Beach summer - Colorado winter - Florida keys summer stretch .... memories of a young fool with a bum shoulder

Mine wasn't bad and healed on it's own (althoguh cause of it, ended up with bursitis way earlier in life than I should have so now have up and down pain in that shoulder)

Ok, I havent lifted weights since I heard my shoulder a couple months ago. As a matter of fact, I havent done any exercise at all. I tried to run a couple times but the jarring on my shoulder was just to f'n painful. This thing isnt getting any better. I finally went to the doctor today. He took some X-Rays and then examined me. He said I definitely have a torn rotator cuff and probably a torn labrum as well. I am getting an MRI next Monday to be sure. He will tell me after that if I need a scoping or a cutting or both. This sucks! :D

I will say that having this injury sucks. It wakes me up whenever I roll on my right side at night. Its dam near impossible to reach across with my right hand to grab my shoulder harness seat belt. And something in there "catches" whenever I raise my arm. I have no idea what is catching on what, but it feels like I am being stabbed in the shoulder joing with a hot serrated machete. This sucks.

Ack. Good luck. A co-worker of mine had the same thing, torn rotator cuff and labrum. He had surgery a couple months back. He described it in detail for me. I don't do good with those sort of graphic things. :D

Hope all turns out well.