[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eagles land Curtis

Bronco Billy

I was talking about the time he was with the Rams. He remained behind Bruce on the depth chart and the team re-signed Bruce even though he's a 14 year vet. Why didn't that contract go to the younger Curtis?

They gave the contract to Drew Bennett.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bennett signs for 6 yrs-30 million with 10 million guaranteed.

Curtis signs for 6 yrs-32 million with 9.5 million guaranteed.

They're the same age. IIRC Bennett has more of an injury history than Curtis. Curtis knows the system/playbook. If Curtis is as good as some here think he'll be, why let him go for Drew Bennett for the same amount of money?

Bennett signs for 6 yrs-30 million with 10 million guaranteed.

Curtis signs for 6 yrs-32 million with 9.5 million guaranteed.

They're the same age. IIRC Bennett has more of an injury history than Curtis. Curtis knows the system/playbook. If Curtis is as good as some here think he'll be, why let him go for Drew Bennett for the same amount of money?

Bennett is 6-5, Curtis is 5-11. Bennett has been in the league 6 years, Curtis for 4 (even though he's a month older). Bennett has the far superior statistical pedigree, and also has had some issues with injuries over the course of his career.

The Philadelphia Eagles think he's going to be as good as some here think he will be. The St. Louis Rams apparently wanted a bigger target. :D

Bennett is 6-5, Curtis is 5-11. Bennett has been in the league 6 years, Curtis for 4 (even though he's a month older). Bennett has the far superior statistical pedigree, and also has had some issues with injuries over the course of his career.

The Philadelphia Eagles think he's going to be as good as some here think he will be. The St. Louis Rams apparently wanted a bigger target. :D

I don't know...unless Curtis did something to piss the staff off in Stl. (ala Billy Volek), I don't understand letting Curtis walk to sign Drew Bennett of all people for the basically the same $$$. Just seems weird IMO.

Time will tell if it's a good move. :D

I don't know...unless Curtis did something to piss the staff off in Stl. (ala Billy Volek), I don't understand letting Curtis walk to sign Drew Bennett of all people for the basically the same $$$. Just seems weird IMO.

What about 6'5" vs 5'11" don't you understand? Rams struggled in the red zone and wanted bigger targets (McMichael = 6'3"). It's really not that hard to understand.

Edited by The Next Generation

Bennett's got a pedigree at least, and some serious height.

I like Curtis as a player, but he got more money than both Bennett and Stallworth, who are more accomplished players. I'm perplexed by that as much as anything.

Could be that Curtis thought he would never get a chance to start in Stl. STL probably figured he would leave for Det so they signed Bennett.

Maybe Reid and Curtis have a Morman connection?

Curtis could actually gravitate to the #1 WR spot by the time the regular season starts.

A dubious distinction. Isn't being the #1 WR in Philly kinda like being the smartest Poosycat Doll?

:D

Edited by Bonehand

He is a 5'11" 29 year old slot WR who was in a pass happy "O" and had two very good (one of them great) WR's outside him. Did you guys ever watch the Rams? He was always on a backer or a Saftey. He WILL NEVER BE A NUMBER ONE WR! Gauranteed. Look at Az Hakim. He was a flop as a #1 or even a #2. A guy like Curtis can not get off a jam from a top corner and get himself open. He had 40 catches and 479 and 4 TD's. Whoopdie doo! WAY too much money here for this guy. No need for him to be on any fantasy roster.

If Philly uses him in the slot where he belongs then cool. They will have payed a slot WR 5 Million per year.

watch the games instead of just looking up nfl.com

Week 8 - JAX was primarily a 65 yard hail mary TD from Jamie Martin and a missed tackle by the JAX safety.

Jax D was and is pretty tough...

Curtis won't be an all-pro...but he'll put up better numbers than Stallworth..not because he might be better...but because of the fact he doesn't have a chronic hamstring problem...

He is a 5'11" 29 year old slot WR who was in a pass happy "O" and had two very good (one of them great) WR's outside him. Did you guys ever watch the Rams? He was always on a backer or a Saftey. He WILL NEVER BE A NUMBER ONE WR! Gauranteed. Look at Az Hakim. He was a flop as a #1 or even a #2. A guy like Curtis can not get off a jam from a top corner and get himself open. He had 40 catches and 479 and 4 TD's. Whoopdie doo! WAY too much money here for this guy. No need for him to be on any fantasy roster.

If Philly uses him in the slot where he belongs then cool. They will have payed a slot WR 5 Million per year.

Yes, picking a #1 or #2 WR from a team that has a Pro Bowl QB who tosses the rock 65-70% of the time is a terrible idea. Perhaps he should retire from football altogether? :D

Curtis won't be an all-pro...but he'll put up better numbers than Stallworth..not because he might be better...but because of the fact he doesn't have a chronic hamstring problem...

Curtis has never put up better numbers than Stallworth before. :D

Curtis has never put up better numbers than Stallworth before. :D

Curtis also has never had a chance to be a #2 WR.

Curtis also has never had hamstring issues. Assuming he is a healthy #2, he'll certainly put up numbers in 16 games that are better than what Stallworth did in 10 games.

I was looking over GAMESCANS here at the Huddle (great resource by the way...) to back up something else I was going to say about Kevin Curtis, but I'll go ahead and throw out this figure for those interested in this nearly beaten topic.

Last year, 86 WR had the ball thrown to them more than 48 times over the course of the season (4 attempts/game seems like a reasonable number).

Kevin Curtis ranked 8th in that group, catching 67.2% of the balls thrown to him.

Donte' Stallworth ranked 67th catching 48.1% of the balls thrown to him.

3 pages on Kevin Curtis. :D

There's the sign of a slow offseason.

Nah - it's the classic argument about some people's perception of a player as nothing more than mediocre vs other's perception that he's very talented but wasting away behind a vet on another team. Those types of discussions always provide a lot of passion, especially when there's evidence to support each side.

Curtis never had a chance to play much with Bruce in his way, and the STL was apparently way too loyal to Bruce despite his advancing age issues to allow Curtis to compete equally. When Curtis did get the opportunity to play as the #2 WR for a limited time in '05, he put up per-game numbers that would have been equivalent to the 7th best WR for yardage & the 3rd best WR for TDs last season.

So you get the argument of Curtis never doing much for an entire season vs his performing at a top 6/7 WR level when he got the chance. And you've got the argument of Curtis not being capable of being a #1 WR and his success in his limited chance being due to Holt drawing the top coverage away vs Curtis still putting up some great numbers regardless of who was running with him during that short stretch in '05. Then there's the "can he produce over an entire season at that level?" question.

The point is that Curtis is going to a team that likes to throw the ball a lot, and it doesn't have a legit #1 WR or stud TE on the roster. He's got enough experience, savvy, and physical ability to at least take over Stallworth's spot in the offense, IMO.

If you pro-rate out Stallworth's numbers over 16 games last season, he would have gone for 55 catches, 1055 yds, and 7 TDs. So that's kind of the baseline for projecting Curtis in the coming year. IF you think Curtis can't take over Stallworth's spot adequately, you probably ought to be projecting something around 44 catches, 845 yds, and 6 TDs - that looks like his downside, which would have put him at a solid #3 WR in FF. If you like him to take Stallworth's spot exactly, he projects out to a solid #2 WR in FF. If, like me, you expect him to perform better than Stallworth, Curtis probably projects out somewhere to 70 catches, 1200 yds, and 9 TDs. That would make Curtis a legit top 10 WR.

I would have to guess based upon where he'll be available in FF drafts this coming season that he'll be a risk worth taking & will be a good value. I see him going in the Hines Ward/Lavernues Coles/Chris Chambers range or more probably even later, which means he'll be getting drafted as a #3/#4 FF WR - which I see as his downside in PHI. I look at a guy like Furrey last year getting into a good situation and being capable of helping carry a FF team to a championship, like Furrey helped my team - and I see Curtis being capable of the same kind of impact on a FF team.

That also leaves a lot of room for varying opinions in the discussion.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Bennett's got a pedigree at least, and some serious height.

I like Curtis as a player, but he got more money than both Bennett and Stallworth, who are more accomplished players. I'm perplexed by that as much as anything.

I am curious can he handle roll coverage. The no.1 corner or no. 2 corner in th league on him. Can he handle the bump and run of the real deal corners in his grill. When you go Torry Holt and Issac Bruce along with Steven Jackson or M. Faulk and a pretty good QB in K. Warner and M. Bulger. Being a no.3 WR is too easy. VS the Eagles McNabb is good but what if he goes down like and he got AJ Feely throwing to him and then you got Westbrook he is good but hes out for the game. That leaves him and Brown. Can he handle taking over a game. I dont think so. Dont get me wrong Eagles are a great team when healthy. But Curtis and the boat load of money is a risk. I think this may be the biggest mistake they could have done. He had great WRs around him and he could be great. But you dont pay that kind of money for a could be great player. The system he came out of and the talent around him makes me wonder what will he do with the attention on him and not the other top 2 recievers. In reality I can see the no.1 corner covering him because he is fast, but I can see him being blanketed all night like he was never on the field. Then he do succeed roll coverage comes. I just dont see Reggie Brown being guarded two on one. I see manning up on both and defense having their way.

Edited by loyalboyd

I am curious can he handle roll coverage. The no.1 corner or no. 2 corner in th league on him. Can he handle the bump and run of the real deal corners in his grill. When you go Torry Holt and Issac Bruce along with Steven Jackson or M. Faulk and a pretty good QB in K. Warner and M. Bulger. Being a no.3 WR is too easy. VS the Eagles McNabb is good but what if he goes down like and he got AJ Feely throwing to him and then you got Westbrook he is good but hes out for the game. That leaves him and Brown. Can he handle taking over a game. I dont think so. Dont get me wrong Eagles are a great team when healthy. But Curtis and the boat load of money is a risk. I think this may be the biggest mistake they could have done. He had great WRs around him and he could be great. But you dont pay that kind of money for a could be great player. The system he came out of and the talent around him makes me wonder what will he do with the attention on him and not the other top 2 recievers. In reality I can see the no.1 corner covering him because he is fast, but I can see him being blanketed all night like he was never on the field. Then he do succeed roll coverage comes. I just dont see Reggie Brown not being guarded two on one. I see manning up on both and defense having their way.

Obviously you weren't aware that the Eagles yds/game were higher when Stallworth was out, huh? So, who was the #1/#2 CB covering then? Baskett/Lewis/Avant? 2 rookies and GLew. I think the #2 rated offense in the league last year will be just fine, thank you very much.

Obviously you weren't aware that the Eagles yds/game were higher when Stallworth was out, huh? So, who was the #1/#2 CB covering then? Baskett/Lewis/Avant? 2 rookies and GLew. I think the #2 rated offense in the league last year will be just fine, thank you very much.

This is very true. But you must have confidence that AJ Feely can step right in and do what Garcia did. Now I know He did do great things a few years ago. But you must really feel that Westy and McNabb will be healthy all year. My main worry is McNabb.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133361

Donovan McNabb

Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yds YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate

2002 Philadelphia Eagles 10 10 361 211 58.4 2289 6.34 59 17 6 28/166 27 3 86.0

2003 Philadelphia Eagles 16 16 478 275 57.5 3216 6.73 59 16 11 43/253 44 9 79.6

2004 Philadelphia Eagles 15 15 469 300 64.0 3875 8.26 80 31 8 32/192 50 20 104.7

2005 Philadelphia Eagles 9 9 357 211 59.1 2507 7.02 91 16 9 19/112 27 6 85.0

2006 Philadelphia Eagles 10 10 316 180 57.0 2647 8.38 87 18 6 21/140 44 14 95.5

He is 31 years old this year well in Nov. Hes been gettin hurt since 2002. I dont think injuries get better with age. IF you had Garcia still I would say its a possiblity. As far a Basket/Lewis/ Avant. I like Basket and Avant. I think that the college stats says alot about them. They know how to get open and do what they got to do. They were both no.1's on thier prospective teams and saw some real good corners then.

Then you can look at Westbrook as well.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302144

Year Team G GS Att Yds Avg Lg TD 20+ 1st

2002 Philadelphia Eagles 15 3 46 193 4.2 18 0 0 11

2003 Philadelphia Eagles 15 8 117 613 5.2 62 7 6 27

2004 Philadelphia Eagles 13 12 177 812 4.6 50 3 7 38

2005 Philadelphia Eagles 12 12 156 617 4.0 31 3 5 27

2006 Philadelphia Eagles 15 14 240 1217 5.1 71 7 8 60

His workload increased but stayed healthy somewhat. But if you think about it. Since 2003/2004 He's been hurt. I cant remember which time he took over the full-time gig. But if you look at 2004 to be on the safe side missed 2 games. 2005 missed 3 games. Increase work load missed 1 game and a half. He is 27 years old and in his prime if his workload increase because McNabb goes down again do you really think they can keep it up with Garcia gone. Just a lot of ifs. But I want to see Curtis on a no.1 or No.2 corner. Because anyone can beat a defense with speed on the no.3 cornerback.

This is very true. But you must have confidence that AJ Feely can step right in and do what Garcia did. Now I know He did do great things a few years ago. But you must really feel that Westy and McNabb will be healthy all year. My main worry is McNabb.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133361

Donovan McNabb

Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yds YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate

2002 Philadelphia Eagles 10 10 361 211 58.4 2289 6.34 59 17 6 28/166 27 3 86.0

2003 Philadelphia Eagles 16 16 478 275 57.5 3216 6.73 59 16 11 43/253 44 9 79.6

2004 Philadelphia Eagles 15 15 469 300 64.0 3875 8.26 80 31 8 32/192 50 20 104.7

2005 Philadelphia Eagles 9 9 357 211 59.1 2507 7.02 91 16 9 19/112 27 6 85.0

2006 Philadelphia Eagles 10 10 316 180 57.0 2647 8.38 87 18 6 21/140 44 14 95.5

He is 31 years old this year well in Nov. Hes been gettin hurt since 2002. I dont think injuries get better with age. IF you had Garcia still I would say its a possiblity. As far a Basket/Lewis/ Avant. I like Basket and Avant. I think that the college stats says alot about them. They know how to get open and do what they got to do. They were both no.1's on thier prospective teams and saw some real good corners then.

Then you can look at Westbrook as well.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302144

Year Team G GS Att Yds Avg Lg TD 20+ 1st

2002 Philadelphia Eagles 15 3 46 193 4.2 18 0 0 11

2003 Philadelphia Eagles 15 8 117 613 5.2 62 7 6 27

2004 Philadelphia Eagles 13 12 177 812 4.6 50 3 7 38

2005 Philadelphia Eagles 12 12 156 617 4.0 31 3 5 27

2006 Philadelphia Eagles 15 14 240 1217 5.1 71 7 8 60

His workload increased but stayed healthy somewhat. But if you think about it. Since 2003/2004 He's been hurt. I cant remember which time he took over the full-time gig. But if you look at 2004 to be on the safe side missed 2 games. 2005 missed 3 games. Increase work load missed 1 game and a half. He is 27 years old and in his prime if his workload increase because McNabb goes down again do you really think they can keep it up with Garcia gone. Just a lot of ifs. But I want to see Curtis on a no.1 or No.2 corner. Because anyone can beat a defense with speed on the no.3 cornerback.

So, no matter who the WRs are the Eagles are screwed because the QB and RB are going to get hurt. Damn...there goes the season. :D

But I want to see Curtis on a no.1 or No.2 corner. Because anyone can beat a defense with speed on the no.3 cornerback.

So you give no credibility to Curtis' success when he replaced Bruce as the #2 WR in '05 as a result of injury?

If you don't because it was Martz's STL O as opposed to Reid's PHI O, or because it was for a limited period, that's cool. I'm just wondering why you're completely ignoring that.

Edited by Bronco Billy

So, no matter who the WRs are the Eagles are screwed because the QB and RB are going to get hurt. Damn...there goes the season. :D

My point is that a QB makes a difference. Speed kills a 3rd CB. Speed dont kill a no.1 or no.2 CB. You got to know how to read coverage and get open. Beat press coverage and etc. Baskett and Avant arent small by any stretch of the imagination. They know how to get open. I just want to see Curtis beat man coverage, bump and run find the hole in the zone. Baskett did that the last game of the year and proved he could do it. With no real sure fire no.1 unless you calling Reggie Brown that. But I think its a lot of money to go to a WR that was playing in a Rams uniform that has Holt, Bruce, Jackson in it along with a pretty good QB. To go to the no.1 option and or no.2 option is a big thing to do when you have been playing no.3 pretty much your whole life. Can he make the switch this easy. Thats my questioning of him.

So you give no credibility to Curtis' success when he replaced Bruce as the #2 WR in '05 as a result of injury?

If you don't because it was Martz's STL O as opposed to Reid's PHI O, or because it was for a limited period, that's cool. I'm just wondering why you're completely ignoring that.

Im not question much but again he did have who throwing to him. He did have what Running back behind him. And better yet he did have what other WR drawing coverage like crazy. I think a guy named Holt. I am just saying Pro-Bowl players all round vs where hes going. They stay healthy he could be good but what if it hitz the fan like it suggest over 2-3 yrs and both are getting older. Then he got rolled coverage. Because you cant tell me that Holt was manned up all game and the defense wasnt keying on Curtis. Again Coverage looks and the whole 9. I can see him being somewhat sucessful if everyone stays healthy. But I would like to see what he will do when the DC got plans to shut him down. Thats the great thing about football you never know. But I know Leinhan would not let him leave if he knew he could be the playmaker everyone making him out to be.