[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UT Lady Vols

spain

Now I know how Unatateve feels:

Wednesday, 04/04/07

Rocky Top romp: Lady Vols are champions

Seventh title ends a nine-year drought for UT

By MIKE ORGAN

Staff Writer

CLEVELAND — For a team in a drought, Tennessee's women's basketball team made quite a splash Tuesday night.

The Lady Vols, who hadn't won a national championship in nine years, bounced back atop of the women's basketball world by overcoming their shooting struggles and methodically disposed of a scrappy but outmatched Rutgers squad 59-46.

Many of the 20,704 fans, most wearing orange, at Quicken Loans Arena sensed long before the final horn that the Lady Vols were on their way to capturing their seventh national title.

It came 20 years after Tennessee claimed their first title.

"This team decided they wanted to be good in the off-season, and they worked really hard, came together, and they've been very, very coachable," Tennessee Coach Pat Summitt said. "We just grew as a team, and our goal all along was to win a national championship. I felt like they were a team that was not going to be denied and was going to do what they had to do to make it happen."

What the Lady Vols (34-3) did against Rutgers (27-9) was make it through another sub-par shooting performance (20-of-58 on field goal attempts for 34.5 percent) and win with another stellar defensive effort and by overwhelming Rutgers on the boards.

Defense and rebounding

The Lady Vols earned the berth in the national title game by holding North Carolina, the nation's top scoring team, to a season-low 50 points in Sunday's semifinals.

That defensive effort spilled over against the Scarlet Knights, who never were allowed to settle into an offensive rhythm.

The Lady Vols won the rebounding battle 42-34.

"Before the game we talked about the importance of playing defense and rebounding the basketball," Summitt said. "I've always believed that rebounding wins championships, and tonight we saw the effort on the boards was significant in this win, and our defensive play was obviously a difference-maker."

With 10:08 left to play, Tennessee pulled ahead 46-30 and, other than a brief run by Rutgers, which closed the gap to 50-42, coasted the rest of the way.

Lady Vol All-American Candace Parker, who actually looked human on the offensive end where she made just 5-of-15 shots, stepped up after Rutgers narrowed the gap and sank six consecutive free throws building UT's lead back up to 56-44.

But Parker, who finished with a team-high 17 points, had plenty of help in this game. Point guard Shannon Bobbitt was the key in helping UT pull away in the second half. Her fourth 3-pointer gave Tennessee a 40-28 lead.

And it was center Nicky Anosike who wreaked havoc on the board finishing with 16 rebounds.

Plenty of weapons

"I've said all year long that we're not a one-person team and you saw that tonight," Parker said. "It's pick your poison against us. You take away one thing or one person and we'll do something else, or someone else with step up."

Rutgers Coach C. Vivian Stringer found that to be true. She actually was satisfied with the job her team did on Parker, but embarrassed by how well Bobbitt played.

"Candace is capable of a 50-point performance," String-er said. "You are witnessing the best player in the world. There's nobody that comes close to her. But I tell you what broke our backs, it wasn't Candace Parker. We could have withstood that. The person that broke our back was Bobbitt. I was upset because Epiphanny (Prince) came out and we told her the girl has four-point range. What else to we need to say?"

Bobbitt, who finished with 13 points, said she "took what the defense was giving me."

Kia Vaughn led Rutgers with 20 points and 10 rebounds.

Edited by spain

They sucked Spain in, who's next Furd and H8?

Women's BBall Spain? You just compared it to how Unateve feels after the Gator's championship. What's wrong with you man?

Unless you are :D Which now that I think about it is probably the case.

:D

Edited by chiefjay

They sucked Spain in, who's next Furd and H8?

Women's BBall Spain? You just compared it to how Unateve feels after the Gator's championship. What's wrong with you man?

Unless you are :D Which now that I think about it is probably the case.

:doh:

:D:tup: