[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Current and ex members of the Armed Forces

MojoMan

I just read that, in addition to being Rosie O'Donnell and denouncing their own gummint, http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...ational/Europe/

now these ex-hostages are selling their stories to the press like frickin' reality show participants http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...8/nturney08.xml

Suffering succotash! is going on? Do they still teach "Name, Rank, and Serial Number?"

These British "warriors" are an embarassment to themselves, their gummint, and real soldiers everywhere. :D

I just read that, in addition to being Rosie O'Donnell and denouncing their own gummint, http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...ational/Europe/

now these ex-hostages are selling their stories to the press like frickin' reality show participants http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...8/nturney08.xml

Suffering succotash! is going on? Do they still teach "Name, Rank, and Serial Number?"

These British "warriors" are an embarassment to themselves, their gummint, and real soldiers everywhere. :D

They acted in their own interests by not putting up a fight that would have ended in their certain deaths. Do you feel the same way about the airmen shot down in Iraq during the first Gulf War when they were paraded in front of the cameras and recited scripted propaganda?

Get over yourself. They came home alive and every family still has them - so what's the problem?

Here big man: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Peters_%28pilot%29

Go find him and say what you just said to his face.

Edited by Pope Flick

did you even read the articles you linked to?

Military officials scoffed at this, noting that British military personnel are trained to submit to their captors in order to maintain their safety if there is no chance of escape.

"As far as the statements that they had to make on Iranian television, you only had to look at them," said Sir Jock Stirrup, Britain's chief of defence staff. "You only had to listen to what they had to say to be able to draw your own conclusions. They did exactly as they should have done, from start to finish in this entire episode, and we are extremely proud of them."

well, part of me wishes these guys all had the stones to keep their mouths shut while they were hostages....because i don't think the iranians were quite stupid enough to actually harm them. but i can't really blame them for not taking that gamble, especially since that's apparently british military policy.

as far as cashing in now....again, part of me wishes they wouldn't, but hey, if someone offered me a wad of cash to tell about an ordeal i went through there's a pretty good chance i'd be positively inclined as well.

as far as cashing in now....again, part of me wishes they wouldn't, but hey, if someone offered me a wad of cash to tell about an ordeal i went through there's a pretty good chance i'd be positively inclined as well.

But it does appear a bit distatsteful given that British Army lost several over the weekend. They can't sell their stories because they're now dead. The timing isn't so hot.

Also, it's clear much diplomacy went on to make this happen, clearly as this guy got released days efore the British were. Oh wait, seeing links like that means I need to put this on :D , right?

Adml Sir Alan West, the former First Sea Lord, said: "I am surprised that someone would even consider selling their story while they were still serving."

I'm surprised the military regulations allow it at all, Sir Alan. :D

well, part of me wishes these guys all had the stones to keep their mouths shut while they were hostages....because i don't think the iranians were quite stupid enough to actually harm them. but i can't really blame them for not taking that gamble, especially since that's apparently british military policy.

I agree with part one of this ..not so sure on part two ...but not being in their shoes throughout all of this , I will not criticize them

Really? You know this how?

Because I don't live in Oklahomo where you apparently still use tin cans and kite string instead of modern technology. Interviews from the commanders on scene describe being surrounded at least 6 to 1, with belligerent Iranians training RPGs, hi caliber machine guns and ramming of their vessel.

You don't believe him why?

I have no problem with it.

Our soldiers sell/tell their stories too.

Most war movies have portions of real lives portrayed in them.

Imagine no Band of Brothers or such.

People go to listen to War Heroes / Medal of Honor recipients speak at conventions. They are selling their stories while on stage. It's a paid speaking engagement.

History channel talking to anyone is a paid encounter.

It would be the same as an anyone else with a biography, autobiography, made for TV movie of the week, etc.

Iran wouldn't be so dumb as to hurt those troops/detainees because they'd be drawn into a war that they wouldn't win...wait :D:D silly me. Ofcourse they can bully us/Britain around...since we have a demonKrapic gubamint now that really has no spine. We are already setting withdrawl deadlines and threatning to cut military spending. Why wouldn't they test the waters...after all that is what Iran was doing. They poked the Brits in the chest to see if they'd move and... they didn't. What did the Iranians learn from their "poKe" test? Industrialize their nuclear enrichment process.

My take as a prior service Army guy...Those guys were probably introduced to some terrifying tactics that probably made them chit their pants. They probably thought they would or could die. The Middle Eastern people tend to have a sick way about them. We were taught name, rank, SS#...and that's all fine and good...but when they are foking with you...like really foking with you...there is no telling how you'd cooperate. Unless ofcourse you were trained to deal with torture/interrogation tactics.

Edited by SuperBalla

since we have a demonKrapic gubamint now that really has no spine.

:D We have a WHAT??

We really showed that Osama Bin Laden a thing or two. Plus that masterful stratergie in Iraq. If I was a radical islamic extremist, I would be quaking in my boots.

Thanks Republican leadership! :D

You said 'certain death', you don't know that.

There rules of engagement must differ from ours, cuase the American officers I have heard couldn't believe the brits allowed this to happen to them.

Get a clue, dumbass.

American servicemen have the Military Code of Conduct which specifies what they should do to avoid becoming a POW and what behaviors to do if they do end up a prisioner. Article 3 of the Code states:

If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and to aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

Perhaps Britain has no such code that their servicemen are taught? It made me sick to see the prisoners accept the "gift" bags that were given them when they were released along with wearing civilian clothes. I blame the officers that were responsible for their training and conduct. Shame.

They weren't POWs due to the simple fact we're not at war, so your summary judgements don't really apply.

I take it you guys think this was worth starting a war over? Rubbish, they handled themselves as well as can be expected and kept their eye on the prize: by not firing a shot diplomacy carried the day and no war was started on Iranian terms which is better for us, seeing as how Republican leadership (balla) has allowed us to get stuck in a quagmire which woudldn't be worth making worse over these 15 sailors.

They weren't POWs due to the simple fact we're not at war, so your summary judgements don't really apply.

I take it you guys think this was worth starting a war over? Rubbish, they handled themselves as well as can be expected and kept their eye on the prize: by not firing a shot diplomacy carried the day and no war was started on Iranian terms which is better for us, seeing as how Republican leadership (balla) has allowed us to get stuck in a quagmire which woudldn't be worth making worse over these 15 sailors.

I blame the Brit officers who gave the order to search the vessel and did not give adequet protection to the sailors carrying out the orders. The conduct of the sailor/guests was deplorable.

I blame the Brit officers who gave the order to search the vessel and did not give adequet protection to the sailors carrying out the orders. The conduct of the sailor/guests was deplorable.

Only deplorable if you think they should have disobeyed orders.

Because I don't live in Oklahomo where you apparently still use tin cans and kite string instead of modern technology.

LOL

Oh cmon, you know those wacky Iranians are peaceniks at heart. They prolly woulda just made em go time out in the corner or something.