[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How much to donate to my neighbors?

TimC

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the neighbors that helped us by shoveling this winter since I couldn't, knee replacemnet surgery in Jan., we gave both families gift cards to the local grocery store. One of the neighbors went and bought food and made meals for us saying they loved helping. I will be mowing their yard when I am able to.

I say give them a gift card to a local restaurant or grocery store.

I dropped the $20.00 at the neighbor's house last night that was collecting the money. Boy, do I feel cheap. They said they had almost $300 to give (between 6 other neighbors I reckon). One gave over $100. :D

Looks like new spinners this summer. :D

I dropped the $20.00 at the neighbor's house last night that was collecting the money. Boy, do I feel cheap. They said they had almost $300 to give (between 6 other neighbors I reckon). One gave over $100. :D

Looks like new spinners this summer. :tup:

Does Az live in your neighborhood? :D

Count me among those who thing the money gift is pretty tacky. I'd always vote for another gift that shows support without looking like a hand-out. The argument against the food seems sort of lame. I'd make them something and just walk it over myself. In fact, I'd go so far as to try to get the other neighbors on board as well. Sign up for meals over the next week or so the way people tend to do when somebody has a baby.

You should have offered to have the lawnmower tuned up for them.

I mean, after all, that blade probably took a real beating chewing thru all that bone and flesh. :D

But it is a bummer your generous donation now makes you look rather skint...here's hoping the neighbor who started the collection doesn't blab to everyone about what each person donated.

When people in my department go to the hospital, I bring them flowers, books, and home-cooked meals; I do not give them a card with $20 in it.

2nd-ed...or is it 3rd-ed. I would offer a card and flowers or some other token of thought with an offer that if they needed assistance with something to ask. It's an open invitation that if they need help with a meal, maybe some grocery shopping, a ride for one of the kids because the parents are at the hospital, etc.