[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guns - different slant

xMRogers

So saw the poll, and figured somehting I've always brought up in these discussions I'd throw out here.

If you could snap your fingers, and all guns (define it however you want, but I'm just saying 'guns'") will disappear from the earth forever....would you?

Obviously, changes a lot of things - recreational shooting/hunting would be done/change, but guarantee archery/bow hunting would increase to take some of the place.

Would actually make police/authority work harder (if anyones been in a situation with a cop's gun drawn while you are just screwing around....you stop screwing around real quick) as for the most part the gun part is an advantage on the cops part - now if someone was willing to take on the authority be more "even footing". However, I think that's a short viewed look probably - in many places the cops are unarmed, but are still very effective. For the most part, the cops being involved in something as the "law" is enough if both parties are unarmed or both armed.

War would be definitely different - not sure how it would work it out honestly as the "definition" of gun would matter.

Mainly, my question is guns are both positive and negative - and it seems many people have them 60/40 one way or the other (the 90/10 folks either way don't really matter in this question, which is kinda true in any poll). So, you can eliminate them forever in this theoretical world? Do you?

Interesting hypothetical. On balance, no, the NRA would just turn to flamethrowers instead.

Seriously, I don't believe guns are the problem, they're just the means of execution (excuse the unfortunate choice of words). The problem, as always, is that people haven't advanced a whole heck of a lot from cavemen and continue to think small and short term.

Guns are a tool.

Obviously, when it comes to putting holes in living things, there are few tools more effective, but I'm sure people would figure something out.

Seriously, I don't believe guns are the problem, they're just the means of execution (excuse the unfortunate choice of words). The problem, as always, is that people haven't advanced a whole heck of a lot from cavemen and continue to think small and short term.

Yup.

< Nod >

Guns aren't the problem. Many people want to eliminate them because they believe by doing so it will eliminate the problem ... but humans would just find other ways to kill people.

Then why do so many people choose to do it with a gun?

Guns aren't the problem. Many people want to eliminate them because they believe by doing so it will eliminate the problem ... but humans would just find other ways to kill people.

True.

But killing 30 people with a pitchfork is a little more work, and it takes longer.

The electric pitchfork - sounds like a good band name....

While people would elminate others still, I think the lack of guns would cut down on the damage one person could do in a short amount of time from a distance.

The suicide bomber reference is interesting, but do think that's usually a unique circumstance, and the person who is looking to kill with a gun, but then there are no guns, wouldn't turn to that - it's a different mindset needed.

Definitely agree with the "people kill people" although realize any accidental killings would also be eliminated here.

My biggest fear in a world like this is a rwanda type situation - the horrors of the mutiliations there that were not gun caused gives me pause, but if my understanding is right, that wasn't due to lack of guns so much as a conscious choice by the folks in charge to use the machette to instill even greater fear.

id rather people use guns than strap themselves with home made explosives.

Interesting point. Why don't they do that? Is it the difficulty in getting the explosives, the difficulty in making a bomb or is it that shooting people is more "fun" to a nutcase?

My biggest fear in a world like this is a rwanda type situation - the horrors of the mutiliations there that were not gun caused gives me pause, but if my understanding is right, that wasn't due to lack of guns so much as a conscious choice by the folks in charge to use the machette to instill even greater fear.

Sierra Leone was even worse.

I'd use my wish to make automobiles disappear rather than guns.

:D

My main problem with people that are anti guns is not that they are anti guns but that many of their views are so short sighted on the subject. despite the fact that is is impossible to get rid of guns they want to ban guns. I mean if a person seriously wants to try to come up with some kind of solution on guns they have to leave guns in the picture(since you cannot get rid of them) and go from there. I mean don't get me wrong. if you don't believe in guns that is your right. but you must add in the fact that you CANNOT get rid of guns to your equation when deciding what a person thinks should be done about them.

you must add in the fact that you CANNOT get rid of guns to your equation when deciding what a person thinks should be done about them.

But what if you could get rid of them? That's the question here (theoretical as it is). Would you, knowing there's long list of "pros and cons" for guns in general, although some of them are based on the opposite of the initial premise (ie, guns for protection against other guns)

But what if you could get rid of them? That's the question here (theoretical as it is). Would you, knowing there's long list of "pros and cons" for guns in general, although some of them are based on the opposite of the initial premise (ie, guns for protection against other guns)

That is a tough question. part of me wants to say yes..I would eliminate them. then part of me thinks if guns were gone gangs would have much more power and become a very big trend.

I would have to vote unsure.

I remember a Chris Rock standup talking about guns and he said something that made a lot ot sense.

"Make all bullets cost $1,000. And guns weren't the problems it was the bullets." Something along those lines but I think this would be interesting.

That would open up a market for some knucklehead to make bullets and sell them. creating a underground is IMO the biggest problem that will come from banning guns or their ammo.

My main problem with people that are anti guns is not that they are anti guns but that many of their views are so short sighted on the subject. despite the fact that is is impossible to get rid of guns they want to ban guns.

My main problem is when people invent fictitious stupid arguments and then assign it to everyone who thinks differently from them.

Find one person on this site (other than maybe Randull) who has ever suggested banning all guns. Then, go ahead and argue with them... but please don't publicly argue against the people who exist only in your head. It's not healthy.

The fact is, anyone in the country can go and legally acquire all the guns they want, and these moranic martyr "People want to take all my guns away" arguments are totally unfounded paranoia.

I remember a Chris Rock standup talking about guns and he said something that made a lot ot sense.

"Make all bullets cost $1,000. And guns weren't the problems it was the bullets." Something along those lines but I think this would be interesting.

Those of us that load our own ammo would be rich!!!

:D

It is not very hard to buy the equipment necessary to make your own ammunition, my father has done it for years.