[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Still looking for my television.... when is the best time of year to buy?

Duchess Jack

Here's what Consumer Reports has found re reliability (12/2006).

I have a 32" Toshiba 32HL66 LCD since September, 06.

the models a few years ago may have been different....I'm speaking on my recent shopping experience

:D

I'm sure I compared the Tosh which is still available today to your Sony or last year's precursor. I take it you have a 32S2... or 32XBR? As I said, I liked the XBR picture a little better.

But it just goes to show that different shoppers come away with different opinions. You decided that extra money was worth it to get the absolute best picture. I didn't and bought mine with warranty for $1250. Who got the best deal? Both of us based on our priorities.

:D

I'm sure I compared the Tosh which is still available today to your Sony or last year's precursor. I take it you have a 32S2... or 32XBR? As I said, I liked the XBR picture a little better.

But it just goes to show that different shoppers come away with different opinions. You decided that extra money was worth it to get the absolute best picture. I didn't and bought mine with warranty for $1250. Who got the best deal? Both of us based on our priorities.

ahaha no problem...I have the umm KDL-32S2010...it was the best looking TV I saw for the size...

Our local electronics store has a 12 month no interest and LCD flat screens for $1500 for a 42" Sharp Aquios.

that is the TV i bought (and the price i bought it at) a few months ago, and i had to hunt like hell to get that price and still pay for shipping. pretty screaming deal for a 42" 1080p.

when do the new models come out? seems like it's right around now. if so, now is the perfect time to buy one of last year's models.

i didn't research plasma or projection much, but if you go LCD stick with sony, samsung, sharp and you should be in good hands.

that is the TV i bought (and the price i bought it at) a few months ago, and i had to hunt like hell to get that price and still pay for shipping. pretty screaming deal for a 42" 1080p.

when do the new models come out? seems like it's right around now. if so, now is the perfect time to buy one of last year's models.

i didn't research plasma or projection much, but if you go LCD stick with sony, samsung, sharp and you should be in good hands.

the new models are coming out right now and since the past 2 months....

aquos is a wise decision...sharp does well with them, but I'm not sure the new Sharp LCD's are aquos....I don't recall seeing the name on the TV....

of the brand new TV's, I've already listed which brands are flexxing their strength...

Samsung has made serious strides the past few years and they probably offer just as good a TV as Sony with more features.....I wanted a Samsung, but they were sold out...

The only thing in 1080p will be movies. There are no plans for any system to broadcast 1080p. At this point in time, I think 1080p is overkill and not worth 1) the extra money or 2) waiting for.

The only thing in 1080p will be movies. There are no plans for any system to broadcast 1080p. At this point in time, I think 1080p is overkill and not worth 1) the extra money or 2) waiting for.

regardless what the opinion on 1080p is...I'd still suggest waiting 1 more year....

Side note to anyone. I found CNET.com to be very useful with free HDTV advice. Plus they have tons of reviews.

Here's the link to their HDTV reviews. I check it every week or so to see the new stuff that's out.

Also, here is their HDTV page with all kinds of getting-to-know HDTV info that is good for beginners.

Alright... I did some research and the place I have planned for my TV... they say 37" is the perfect TV (based upon where my couches will be).

So... I am going to wait for a good 37" - 42" TV

Rather than have to reach a bunch of technogarble that I cannot understand..

what are the top five things (in order) that I should be looking for...

I think at this point I am happy with a 720... (unless the others come down some)

What are the other relevant numbers and what is the lowest I should consider?

you want to target 2x HDMI or more....the most I've seen is 3....

people will tell you that component is just as good...but HDMI is neater, an easy hook-up and offers the best quality period...

and after that....that's about it IMO...you're going HD and don't have to worry about HDCP anymore....so yeah, this is all you should worry about...

HDMI cables can be had on the cheap at monoprice.com ...you'll at least want to hook up your cable box via HDMI.....

good luck with your search..

Contrast?

Resolution (does the first number matter much?)

Aspect Ratio?

Pixel Pitch?

Signal Compatability?

Input Video Signal?

What is the basment on any of these so when I find a good TV, I can just go...check, check, check...etc

sorry for harrassing all you about this... I just figured that its the tailgate and we all hang out here lookin for a reason not to be workings... so if you've the time. Also.. I am not too much a research guy - I tend towards impulse buying - but I know a lot of you cats are tech junkies and live for this stuff. I'd love to benefit from your wisdom despite the fact that I could teach myself.

Edited by Duchess Jack

Contrast?

Resolution (does the first number matter much?)

Aspect Ratio?

Pixel Pitch?

Signal Compatability?

Input Video Signal?

What is the basment on any of these so when I find a good TV, I can just go...check, check, check...etc

sorry for harrassing all you about this... I just figured that its the tailgate and we all hang out here lookin for a reason not to be workings... so if you've the time. Also.. I am not too much a research guy - I tend towards impulse buying - but I know a lot of you cats are tech junkies and live for this stuff. I'd love to benefit from your wisdom despite the fact that I could teach myself.

Here is what you need to know. 1080i at a minimum. Don't worry about 720p so much. Most HD is broadcast 1080i right now. Like Avernus said, make sure you have enough inputs, especially HDMI. Aspect Ratio is 16x9. That's widescreen. If you plan on using the remote that comes with the TV, make sure the ergonomics fit you and your hand well.

As far as contrast is concerned, this is not the answer you're looking for, but it is really important that you do this. When you are looking at the television in the store, take the remote, access the contrast control. It most likely will be set at 100. This is called "torch mode". They are set that way at the factory to make them look better under the lighting in the stores. It also cuts down the lifetime of the sets about half (more relevant to projection TVs than LCD or plasma but it will contribute to burn in if your not careful). Cut that down to 50. That's when you can better appreciate what you're looking at.

No matter how big a TV you buy, it will look small in the room after about 3 weeks. Be prepared for that little but of remorse to kick in.

Don't get hung up on the numbers. Go and look at the TV sets and their pictures and buy the one that fits your budget, ergonomics and that you like. In the flat screen world right now, both Sony and Panasonic have very good products. If you stick with one of those brands you won't be dissappointed. Others to think about are Samsung and Sharp Aquos (sp?).

yeah, numbers are really alot of mumbo-jumbo...

look online for reviews and get the one that fits your price range and has the best performance within that...

also...720p/1080i doesn't really matter because they are almost the same except the 720p reproduces the images sideways...which favors fast action...ala sports..

while 1080i does 540 lines interlaced or whatever and this is done vertically....so this favors movies that are more drama and slower moving action...

it doesn't matter to me, though...ALMOST everything I watch in "real" HD is worth the money.....but that's me..

you want to target 2x HDMI or more....the most I've seen is 3....

people will tell you that component is just as good...but HDMI is neater, an easy hook-up and offers the best quality period...

and after that....that's about it IMO...you're going HD and don't have to worry about HDCP anymore....so yeah, this is all you should worry about...

HDMI cables can be had on the cheap at monoprice.com ...you'll at least want to hook up your cable box via HDMI.....

good luck with your search..

my tv only has 1 hdmi.... and since i hooked it up last nov it's been really good, but i felt it could be better...

i had the hdmi connected to my dvd/stereo (tv to sattelite was component)....

:D sharper and sound is coming in better :D

As for the question "what time of year to buy", I had always heard that prices were lowest in the week before the Super Bowl. My wife and I had our eyes on the Panasonic 61" LCD for about 3 months, and sure enough it was reduced $400 at Circuit City 5 days before the Steelers/Seahawks game. We asked nicely, and the sales guy even knocked off the $50 delivery charge. We've been thrilled with it ever since.

You like the purchase? I'm a big fan of Sharp and like the Aquous line.

As for the question "what time of year to buy", I had always heard that prices were lowest in the week before the Super Bowl. My wife and I had our eyes on the Panasonic 61" LCD for about 3 months, and sure enough it was reduced $400 at Circuit City 5 days before the Steelers/Seahawks game. We asked nicely, and the sales guy even knocked off the $50 delivery charge. We've been thrilled with it ever since.

the best time is right now and in the past few weeks as stores have been putting out new TV's and putting the old ones on clearance...

you can get a great TV, brand new....but up to half the price...

Yeah, you really can't compare the claimed contrast ratios between brands. There is no standard.

If I might add to what Kid said...

When you go to access the TV's menu, find the factory reset option. That should be somewhere in the picture setup section or main menu. Hit that first before turning the contrast down. You never know what shmoe has been in playing with other settings before you got there.

This little exercise also gives you a chance to judge ease of the on-screen menus and remote. Those kind of details could be a tie-breaker if you're stuck between choices.

Yeah, you really can't compare the claimed contrast ratios between brands. There is no standard.

If I might add to what Kid said...

When you go to access the TV's menu, find the factory reset option. That should be somewhere in the picture setup section or main menu. Hit that first before turning the contrast down. You never know what shmoe has been in playing with other settings before you got there.

This little exercise also gives you a chance to judge ease of the on-screen menus and remote. Those kind of details could be a tie-breaker if you're stuck between choices.

Excellent info here.

my tv only has 1 hdmi.... and since i hooked it up last nov it's been really good, but i felt it could be better...

i had the hdmi connected to my dvd/stereo (tv to sattelite was component)....

:D sharper and sound is coming in better :D

hmmmm.... sound is much better, but there's some graininess in the background with the picture. went back and forth... picture is better with the component cables.... is it the hdmi cable?

help.

Edited by Bier Meister

hmmmm.... sound is much better, but there's some graininess in the background with the picture. went back and forth... picture is better with the component cables.... is it the hdmi cable?

help.

It shouldn't be. Are there any power cables near to or parallel to the HDMI cable that might be causing interference?

by power cables..... tv, sattelite, and dvd/stereo?

lot of cables back there... how do i avoid that?

Twist ties from loaves of bread. Tie all your power cables together and run them down one side of your rack. Try and not have your AV interconnects near them but if they must cross, have them cross at a 90 degree angle. The only other thing you can do is get better interconnects with better shielding. I've seen some guys that go so far as to build little train bridges so that interconnects and speaker wires don't actually touch the power cables they have to cross. :D