[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Still looking for my television.... when is the best time of year to buy?

Duchess Jack

my tv only has 1 hdmi.... and since i hooked it up last nov it's been really good, but i felt it could be better...

i had the hdmi connected to my dvd/stereo (tv to sattelite was component)....

:D sharper and sound is coming in better :D

yeah alot of times the quality depends on how well the show was being broadcast....if the sound comes in like crap, it will translate this way regardless what hook-up you have...

and having the receiver hooked to it gets a :tup:....you're getting your moneys worth right there..

hmmmm.... sound is much better, but there's some graininess in the background with the picture. went back and forth... picture is better with the component cables.... is it the hdmi cable?

help.

no...grain is actually a good thing :D ...film grain is something that can't be taken away....some movies naturally have more grain than others..

component will be a bit blurrier and suffers even more when you view non-HD stations....when the bitrate is high, grain is more noticable because everything is detailed...

Edited by Avernus

no...grain is actually a good thing :D ...film grain is something that can't be taken away....some movies naturally have more grain than others..

component will be a bit blurrier and suffers even more when you view non-HD stations....when the bitrate is high, grain is more noticable because everything is detailed...

That is a good point, but there really shouldn't be a noticible difference in the PQ between component and HDMI.

Bier, the best thing to do is to connect your DVD player to the TV through one of the cables and check it out, then switch to the other cable. You should view a the exact same scenes of a DVD for each cable. This way you will be able to eliminate variables. If there is still a difference, then your options are 1) use component cables to connect video and buy better audio interconnects or 2) buy a better HDMI cable. You can see where this is a leading. ONe way or another I can see a trip to the A/V store in your future. :D

That is a good point, but there really shouldn't be a noticible difference in the PQ between component and HDMI.

Bier, the best thing to do is to connect your DVD player to the TV through one of the cables and check it out, then switch to the other cable. You should view a the exact same scenes of a DVD for each cable. This way you will be able to eliminate variables. If there is still a difference, then your options are 1) use component cables to connect video and buy better audio interconnects or 2) buy a better HDMI cable. You can see where this is a leading. ONe way or another I can see a trip to the A/V store in your future. :D

yes...the HDMI should not look worse than component....there would have to be something wrong with your plug...

separating the cords seems to be helping.. i'll check it again in the morning.. but i tthink that's going to do it.

an off brand... but very well rated

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-42-Plasm...roductDetail.do

A thread you may want to read through...I have no idea what it says but if there's anything good or bad about this TV, you will find it here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=666442

• 3 weeks later...

After doing some research, reading this thread, and talking to people, just pulled the trigger on this baby

Pioneer '42

looked at Sony, Samsung, and Panasonic, and at $1340 shipped, this Pioneer was too good to pass up. Wanted to pass it along- not too many better buys out there. 2006 model, that went for about $3200 new. Was torn between LCD and Plasma, but the Pioneer at this price made the decision easier....

from looking.........- the Sony Bravia series is outstanding, and the Panasonic plasmas are the best bang for the buck by far IMO. Samsung is niice as well.

Edited by wildcat2334

also...one point I'd like to add in regards to 1080p....

where 1080p really comes into play is up-conversion...

when you are playing a standard DVD on an up-conversion player capable of 1080p...this is where it makes the movie look better, regardless if TV broadcasts only do 720p/1080i for the time being and for the forseeable future...not to mention all Blu-ray players and a few HD DVD players being capable of 1080i...

this is where 1080p has it's strength...in high-def movies and up-conversion as it can make the movie look even closer to high-def....especially if you own a super-bit movie...

just wanted to add this for people who are interested...

• 14 years later...

Bumping an old thread for a new birthday toy. Just got my new Samsung QN90A yesterday. I've already watched some of Desolation of Smaug, Alice in Wonderland (live action), Browns vs Broncos & Star Wars - Bad Batch. I must say that it is absolutely glorious compared to my old 32" Sharp Aquos which, if I remember correctly, cost around the same price if not more.

Anybody have any must-sees on a new Ultra HD TV?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

I'm guessing the movie avatar since the video was spectacular, but i didn't care for the movie

The great wall with matt damon was a great movie and visually great.

Crouching tiger hidden Dragon?

What other visually great movies are there... That are also good?

The Revenant is another I'm itching to watch again. 

• Thanks 1

Nice TV, I got a Samsung Q70 series 65" a couple years ago when my longtime Panasonic 60" Plasma stopped working. Great TV and being able to do so many things with it, and my new Samsung phone may have even more connectivity to it.

For me it would be Sci-Fi action type flicks, Star Wars and the like, though I'm also a fan of the LOTR/Hobbit movies. I even did some NFL game streaming from my phone to it last year when I didn't have access to some games thru my TV provider.

The blacks are amazing, a couple times I paused a recording on a screen with no images, walked back into the room and thought I turned it off.