[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Still looking for my television.... when is the best time of year to buy?

Duchess Jack

I know I am going about this the wrong way (Kid Cid) but I am getting antzy... I never pull the trigger when I am supposed to. I've missed insaine deals...

My question though -

Outside of Black Friday and such - what holiday sales tend to be the best for television.

strange question, I know.

oh.. and :D

Go Dolphins!!

Our local electronics store has a 12 month no interest and LCD flat screens for $1500 for a 42" Sharp Aquios. I am really tempted, but I don't watch TV in the summer, so it will sit for 4 months (we've even considered cancelling cable). They also have Onyk(sp) 7.1 digital surround sound for 499.

I know I am going about this the wrong way (Kid Cid) but I am getting antzy... I never pull the trigger when I am supposed to. I've missed insaine deals...

My question though -

Outside of Black Friday and such - what holiday sales tend to be the best for television.

strange question, I know.

oh.. and :D

Go Dolphins!!

If the question is "when is the best time to buy a new TV?" then the answer is "When you're ready to pull the trigger."

There always seems to be a better deal around the corner or some new widget or gizmo that's coming down the road that you want to wait for. Don't do it. When you've decided that you're ready for a new TV, go find the best deal you can and pull the trigger. Period. You'll drive yourself crazy if you do it any other way. One thing to understand is that much like computers, it will be "obsolete" very quickly. Don't beat yourself up over that either. I tend to make a loarge purchase like this with an eye towards holding it 10+ years regardless of what else is out there. If it's still working great after 10 years, I may hold on to it longer. Just remember that you were exceptionally happy when you bought it, nothing has really changed with it since then.

Not a bad TV at a decent price. You'll need your cable/satellite box plus a cable (HDMI) to connect the two. I don't know if you do DVD but you'll need a cable to connect that to the TV as well. The TV has two HDMI inputs so you may need a second HDMI cable, check the outputs from your DVD player to see what it has available. You may have to go composite for the DVD connection. The last thing you'll need to answer is if you'll be connecting to a 7/5.1 channel sound system or if you're going to let the TV sound do the work. You'll need interconnects for that as well.

Have I confused you yet? It's not as bad as it sounds.

Not a bad TV at a decent price. You'll need your cable/satellite box plus a cable (HDMI) to connect the two. I don't know if you do DVD but you'll need a cable to connect that to the TV as well. The TV has two HDMI inputs so you may need a second HDMI cable, check the outputs from your DVD player to see what it has available. You may have to go composite for the DVD connection. The last thing you'll need to answer is if you'll be connecting to a 7/5.1 channel sound system or if you're going to let the TV sound do the work. You'll need interconnects for that as well.

Have I confused you yet? It's not as bad as it sounds.

I have direct TV w/ Tivo. I will likely leave the Tivo on the non-HDTV to save the money for now.

I have a decent Sony Surround System but its like 8 years old. Nothing too spectacular, so nothing really lost if I cannot hook it up the right way. As it stands... I don't even have the speakers behind me or in front of me.

Can I use a regular DirectTV box and use the channels cast in HD?

So... right now... likely a...

DirectTV Box w/ HDMI

HDMI for the DVD player.

What would I need a second or a third HDMI for? I have a PS2 and Xbox. I don't see myself going to the next gen of systems until they come seriously down in price.

Can I use a regular DirectTV box and use the channels cast in HD?

Check with DirectTV. You may not be able to view HD content without a HD upgraded box. That's how it was with Time Warner Cable when I upgraded.

At any rate, check to be sure that DirectTV box has an HDMI before you buy the cable. Its pricey.

ETA: Same for the DVD.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Check with DirectTV. You may not be able to view HD content without a HD upgraded box. That's how it was with Time Warner Cable when I upgraded.

At any rate, check to be sure that DirectTV box has an HDMI before you buy the cable. Its pricey.

ETA: Same for the DVD.

just called

I would need a new box and dish. $99

If I want the box to have tivo, its $299

I can still keep my old Tivo and put it on a different TV with no additional charge.

How important is one of those crazy surge protectors

Edited by Duchess Jack

Alright....this is just my opinion...

if you're going with a new television....you should get 1080p...

and if you get 1080p, I'd wait 1 more year..

I mean, you're not even going to take advantage of HDTV anyways...you might as well wait another year and save a couple more bucks for something of better value and definately 1080p...

1080p will be the HD standard for the next 5 years or so until they come with a new format that will be too expensive anyways...

you'll be helping yourself out in more ways than one by waiting another year..

JVC tends to make faulty televisions.....

I like JVC as a company for other things, but TV isn't their strength anymore...until they prove otherwise, I'd stay away...

Panasonic is making good TV's as is Sharp and Samsung...along with the obvious Sony...

Hitachi is a tweener and Mitsubishi is decent..

right now you want to stay away from the no-names, JVC and Toshiba....

and I'm not too sure about LG...

just called

I would need a new box and dish. $99

If I want the box to have tivo, its $299

I can still keep my old Tivo and put it on a different TV with no additional charge.

How important is one of those crazy surge protectors

get your surge protector from amazon.com.....

and it's as important as your TV and everything you plug into it...

you only need to spend about 30-40 bucks if you go to amazon.com..

Audiovox?

the sony is still looking like the best, I think

yeah, the Sony is still looking the best...by far...

I still think you are a year off.....take this from someone who just spent about the same amount of money on a TV....

I just bought a 32" sony flat-panel LCD for about 1600 bucks after the warrantee...

3 weeks later they came out with new TV's as the same price with 1080p...

It would mean the wench is right..... again :D

you'll be thanking yourself later...

edit: she also may be saying to wait because she doesn't want a new TV.....be strong and stick to the 1 year gameplan if you do decide that choice...

Edited by Avernus

It would mean the wench is right..... again :D

Jack, if you feel like you need to get a TV now, look for warehouse clearance sales from local electronics stores. There's a store that has them twice a year around here at their warehouse, which is conveniently tight around the corner from my house. I have bought a ton of stuff there at a significant discount.

Then you can be justified as buying a 'hold me over' tv, which can later be relocated to make room for the new one :D

Promise the Wench extra rations :tup:

Jack, if you feel like you need to get a TV now, look for warehouse clearance sales from local electronics stores. There's a store that has them twice a year around here at their warehouse, which is conveniently tight around the corner from my house. I have bought a ton of stuff there at a significant discount.

Then you can be justified as buying a 'hold me over' tv, which can later be relocated to make room for the new one :D

Promise the Wench extra rations :D

the TV I have is already on closeout at Sears for about 1100 bucks......

look around...there are definately some deals at these department stores for TV's that are last years model and are getting pushed out of the stock room..

As you probably don't remember (unless you are T-Bone), I was searching for an HDTV this past year and ended up getting a hold me over 27' flat screen SDTV for like $369...its a great TV and will be moved to the bedroom when I get the HDTV next year...

Edited by alexgaddis

Panasonic is making good TV's as is Sharp and Samsung...along with the obvious Sony...

Hitachi is a tweener and Mitsubishi is decent..

right now you want to stay away from the no-names, JVC and Toshiba....

It all depends. As with everything HDTV. :D

Here's what Consumer Reports has found re reliability (12/2006).

LCD and Plasma ~

3% repair rate. :tup:

Recommend against Dell LCD. Recommend against Phillips and Vizio plasma.

Projections ~

10% repair rate :D

Recommend against JVC and RCA.

I have a 32" Toshiba 32HL66 LCD since September, 06. Love it. I did side by side comparisons to Sony, JVC, and Samsung in the same size. I like the Sony XBR LCD a little better, but it was 60% more in price. :doh:

Regarding 1080p: Unless you get a screen 50" or bigger, everything I've read says Joe Average will not be able to tell the difference between a 720 and 1080 screen from the appropriate viewing distance. ETA: And the difference is not so much that Joe would care - unless he was looking at a very large screen. I think the main consideration should be when you can afford/want to upgrade to HD satellite. Then just go for it.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

It all depends. As with everything HDTV. :D

Here's what Consumer Reports has found re reliability (12/2006).

LCD and Plasma ~

3% repair rate. :tup:

Recommend against Dell LCD. Recommend against Phillips and Vizio plasma.

Projections ~

10% repair rate :D

Recommend against JVC and RCA.

I have a 32" Toshiba 32HL66 LCD since September, 06. Love it. I did side by side comparisons to Sony, JVC, and Samsung in the same size. I like the Sony XBR LCD a little better, but it was 60% more in price. :doh:

Regarding 1080p: Unless you get a screen 50" or bigger, everything I've read says Joe Average will not be able to tell the difference between a 720 and 1080 screen from the appropriate viewing distance. I think the main consideration should be when you can afford/want to upgrade to HD satellite. Then just go for it.

1080p is fine with 42" and they will be doing things with movies that really encourage 1080p...

you'll get the best deal a year later....

and Toshiba may be fine for you...but the picture quality next to a Sony is just not there...

also you're talking about TV's a few years ago....

when you see the TV's out now, you can tell the difference between a Sony or Toshiba...and the Sony blows the other 2 away....

the models a few years ago may have been different....I'm speaking on my recent shopping experience as I went to several stores to make sure I came away with the TV I wanted...

Edited by Avernus