[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wanna buy some Art?

alexgaddis

That's just crazy, I could paint that, and I'd sell it for 1/10th of that.

Next time you're in Houston go to the Rothko Chapel. It's free. The walls are covered with gigantic dark paintings that took him like a decade (or some ridiculously long time) to paint. Though, I have no idea what took so freakin' long.

Rothko (and any of th abstract expressionists) are easier to understand if you can relate to what they were trying to accomplish in the concept of tribal memory.

Thier work was meant to evoke a common emotional and subliminal reaction in anyone viewing it, to dredge up a certain ingrained memory of our species. Pollack did it first with cave art-type symbology, then drip painting. Rothko decided to use color to elicit an emotional response. It's success varies on the individual, I suppose.

Did anybody see the 60 Minutes piece on the former truck-driving woman who thinks she owns a Jackson Pollock painting that could potential be worth tens of millions of dollars, but after very close inspection by art experts it was controversally decided that it probably wasn't Pollock's work so the painting is basically worth nothing.

The discrepancy in the worth of the painting based upon whether or not Pollock actually painted it basically shows that modern art is crap.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/03/...in2758110.shtml

The discrepancy in the worth of the painting based upon whether or not Pollock actually painted it basically shows that modern art is crap.

what an utterly retarded statement. there have also been numerous controversies with regard to the authenticity of works attributed to more traditional artists, like rembrandt and michelangelo. convincing forgeries have targeted every style of art.

Biro's fingerprint match didn't change many minds in the art world, but it was good enough for at least one art collector, who offered Teri $2 million for the painting. She said no.

Why didn't she take it?

"I know what it's worth," she argues.

"There would have been some people say, 'Look, $2 million. You spend $5 on this painting. You’re offered two million. Take the money and run,' some people would say," Cooper remarls.

"True," Teri says. "But it was not a fair offer. Be fair with me and I'll sell it."

"So you’re not really sure, at this point, what you would take for this painting?" Cooper asks.

"No. I'm not gonna let 'em steal it from me," she says.

So I am assuming she plans of giving the thrift store half the profit when she sells it for a "fair price"??

what an utterly retarded statement. there have also been numerous controversies with regard to the authenticity of works attributed to more traditional artists, like rembrandt and michelangelo. convincing forgeries have targeted every style of art.

ok, then all art is crap

(or rather--there are a whole lot of people that buy art who are crap)

Edited by wiegie