[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brick steps - DIY or no?

TimC

For $500 I'd probably have it done, assuming that includes materials and labor.

+1

This sounds like a good price if the materials are included. Plus you have the advantage of the fact that your neighbor has already had the work done. If you like what his steps look like and he has no complaints about the contractor then go with the same guy.

The 3 main reasons why I would consider doing projects like this myself are:

a. the price (try to save money)

b. avoid dealing with contractors

c. I'm sure I can do the job as well as a contractor

If the price sounds reasonable to you and your neighbor can vouch for the contractor, I'd say leave the work to the pros and go enjoy your weekend.

The beaners down the road had a brick mailbox put in and they still haven't cleaned up the cut bricks and stuff. We're about to go green card on them.

That's the patio that's coming up in the backyard. I do love stamped concrete. Not for the garage though.

My neighbors did the stamped concrete for their patio and I don't really like the look of it. It always looks wet and glossy for some reason. We went with pavers for ours and we have to deal with spraying roundup to kill the grass and weeds growing up through, not as bad this year though.

+1

This sounds like a good price if the materials are included. Plus you have the advantage of the fact that your neighbor has already had the work done. If you like what his steps look like and he has no complaints about the contractor then go with the same guy.

The 3 main reasons why I would consider doing projects like this myself are:

a. the price (try to save money)

b. avoid dealing with contractors

c. I'm sure I can do the job as well as a contractor

If the price sounds reasonable to you and your neighbor can vouch for the contractor, I'd say leave the work to the pros and go enjoy your weekend.

But what does your wife say? :D

Remember with wood steps you can cut your treads to design-example... two 8 1/4" steps(maxium by code) or you could make the treads for a 7 1/2" step etc. Whereas, a brick step is 6" per rise, so if you had 18" to you door threshold it would be two 6" brick steps with the third step you take taking you into the house.

Remember with wood steps you can cut your treads to design-example... two 8 1/4" steps(maxium by code) or you could make the treads for a 7 1/2" step etc. Whereas, a brick step is 6" per rise, so if you had 18" to you door threshold it would be two 6" brick steps with the third step you take taking you into the house.

um, could you repeat the part about the stuff where you said all about the things?

Another option that would be cheaper and maybe easier is to do your own wooden steps. Since I built a very large detached garage a few years ago we recently converted our attached garage into a den. We were planning on making it an Arts & Craft room but since I did such a nice job in there we made it a den. I bought some risers, treads, rungs and a rail from Lowes. I stained and installed them. I painted the toekicks. I am not a carpenter so I hope I used the proper names. I had 3 steps and don't think I spent more than $200. I did not use the oak because of the cost. I think it was popular but not sure.

My neighbors did the stamped concrete for their patio and I don't really like the look of it. It always looks wet and glossy for some reason.

Most companies put that plasticized sealer over their stamped concrete when they do the different colors simulating stonework. The top color dust gets sprinkled on then powerwashed off in places leaving a two-toned effect. But to keep that top color in place (very thin layer)...they topcoat it. :D

I'm not enamored by it either....my neighbor had his walkway done years ago when it was still sorta new technology. It's slippery. :D

There's a way around this.....you can have them stamp the detail into the natural concrete....then do the coloring with an acid wash concrete stain. Easy to mix different colors or go with one color. Personally...I love this technique. Nice look.

Most companies put that plasticized sealer over their stamped concrete when they do the different colors simulating stonework. The top color dust gets sprinkled on then powerwashed off in places leaving a two-toned effect. But to keep that top color in place (very thin layer)...they topcoat it. :D

I'm not enamored by it either....my neighbor had his walkway done years ago when it was still sorta new technology. It's slippery. :tup:

There's a way around this.....you can have them stamp the detail into the natural concrete....then do the coloring with an acid wash concrete stain. Easy to mix different colors or go with one color. Personally...I love this technique. Nice look.

Yup .........by stamped .....i ment pressing a design into the fresh crete and finish with colors like Bunz said.........may i suggest a big Star with Silver & Blue........... :D

:D I have a concrete sidewalk going from the back porch to the back door of the garage I was going to tear up when they poured the stamped concrete. You mean I might not have to? :D

Yup .........by stamped .....i ment pressing a design into the fresh crete and finish with colors like Bunz said.........may i suggest a big Star with Silver & Blue........... :D

This is what the people across the street have. It does have the glossy look (I sorta dig it). Star with Silver Blue. Hmmmm, great idea!! :D

Should I put a picture of Roger Staubach in the circle where the patio table will go???

This is what the people across the street have. It does have the glossy look (I sorta dig it). Star with Silver Blue. Hmmmm, great idea!! :D

Should I put a picture of Roger Staubach in the circle where the patio table will go???

Go with Dandy Don on the Patio........ :D