[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

darin3

Well that's true, but I was looking for the state that DID have at least one, which is Maine, which was answered already. :D
What is your source and how are you measuring? Rhode Island looks (and informally measures) a shorter distance (~120 miles) around the 3 sides that border other states (I excluded the coastline) then what Maine borders New Hampshire (~165 miles)

Edit: Now that I reread the question, were you looking for just a number (only 1 state borders Maine), or a distance?

Edited by cdrudge

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20. Which city was the first to be lighted by electricity?

Wabash , Indiana

Not according to the source I used.

#10 - According to this link, New Hampshire. However this would mean that #2 couldn't be New Hampshire. However I'm not sure that New Hampshire is correct for #2. If you are only counting coastline as bordering on an ocean and only considering states on the ocean, NH would be correct. However if you consider all states, I would have thought any state that doesn't border a coast (length=0) would count. But then do you count the coastline on a lake? How about a river?

Edited: Looks like you already ruled on the New Hampshire being used twice while I was typing up this post. The rest still hold true though.

#15 - It should be Alaska (I'll admit, I used Google Earth for the cordinates, I didn't know them off the top of my head)

Attu Island (western most island of Alaska) 52°55' N 172°26' W

Hyder, AK (eastern most city) 55°54' N 130°01' W

1692.71 miles point to point.

28°24' N 178°21'W Kure Atole

19°30'N 154°48' W Eastern most tip of the Island of Hawaii

1607.11 miles

For a state to have the shortest coastline, it would actually have to HAVE a coastline.

As for Alaska vs. Hawaii, several sources state Hawaii is correct. Just Google it.

I think this depends on what counts as being lighted by electricity. My initial thought would be for what city had installed street lights over a substantial area, not just one (or a few) lights at a central point done as an experiment.

Makes sense ...guess we have to see darin's ruling ...lol

20. Buffalo

:D Uhhh... jeez, I didn't think this would be this much work. According to the source I used for this, it's just the first city to be "lighted electrically".

I was fairly certain Alaska was the state that had the most river miles and a New York city was the first state that had electricity (because of Niagara Falls) until Darin's source told me I was stupider. :D

Edited by TimC

I was fairly certain Alaska was the state that had the most river miles and a New York city was the first state that had electricity (because of Niagara Falls) until Darin's source told me I was stupider. :D

Clear out yer inbox. :D

As for Alaska vs. Hawaii, several sources state Hawaii is correct. Just Google it.
I did. And I can find supporting evidence BOTH ways. Most sites list the Hawaii distance somewhere between 1500 and 1600 miles. This site states the east-west distance, including the Aleutian Islands, is 2,400 miles. If you can include all the uninhabited atolls and islands in the far west of Hawaii, you also have to count the Aleutian Islands as part of Alaska.

Not Alaska? With all of that land, all of those mountains, all of that snow, and the temperate coast? :D

Then it has to be somewhere in the Gulf. Mississippi?

:D According to the source I used for this, it's not Alaska or any Gulf state.

Since we're having trouble with this one, I'll say that the Missouri River plays a part.

Since we're having trouble with this one, I'll say that the Missouri River plays a part.

Lots of tributaries in Kansas and Nebraska, but I'll guess Missouri itself. :D

If not, I give up. :tup:

I'd guess Montana. However this list shows that Alaska has nearly twice as many miles of rivers as the next closest, and that's Texas even, not Montana.

W?

:D

You're right about NC. Fayetteville, according to my source. :D

I also edited to add reply to question on what was first city in US to be lighted electrically :

Answer is Cleveland

Now give me some more props Darin ..lol

Not Alaska? With all of that land, all of those mountains, all of that snow, and the temperate coast? :D

Then it has to be somewhere in the Gulf. Mississippi?

12. Which state has the most miles of river? Alaska (cdrudge)

Hey, I guessed Alaska before he did! :D

20. Which city was the first to be lighted by electricity?

Wabash , Indiana

It ends up that Wabash was the first city that was commercially lit up. Prior to Wabash being lit up March 31, 1880, there was a demonstration in Cleveland of 12 Brush Arc Lamps in a park atop 120 foot polls. Cleveland itself would not purchase any lamps until after Wabash, Indiana did. So Wabash can rightfully say it was the first city that was lit exclusively by electricity, but Cleveland was the first to have some part (but not all) lit.

It ends up that Wabash was the first city that was commercially lit up. Prior to Wabash being lit up March 31, 1880, there was a demonstration in Cleveland of 12 Brush Arc Lamps in a park atop 120 foot polls. Cleveland itself would not purchase any lamps until after Wabash, Indiana did. So Wabash can rightfully say it was the first city that was lit exclusively by electricity, but Cleveland was the first to have some part (but not all) lit.

Huh, interesting. Those crazy Indianananans... :D

11. Where is the oldest minor league baseball stadium?

19. Which city was the first to have one-way streets?

OK let me just kill this now... both of these may have questionable answers (from the source I used for this bad boy).

Oldest minor league baseball stadium is apparently in Spartanburg, SC.

City to use one-way streets is supposedly Eugene, OR... which is fishy because it's not that old of a city. :D