[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Teach me about motor oil

AtomicCEO

Me too. I definitely think it's worth investing some money into. It's only got like 90K on it.

I'm tough on cars... but not THAT tough. I've only had it for the last 20K.

You need to find out how much it's going to cost to fix it. Problem is, if they tell you it's a head gasket and pull the head off to find out it's rings, you're SOL and have to pay for a rebuild. I have a connection to get cars at the Denver auction for $500 over the sell price. This is what the dealers pay for used cars when they buy them, and you can save thousands off buying one from a private party. PM me if you're interested. BTW - you can go down to the auction and start the car up and drive it.

90K is nothing for a Honda, but running low on oil is going to kill any engine. It's burning a lot right now, and if drop a valve or worse it's gonna cost you big. I'd find a reputable mechanic and get an estimate soon.

lol, I bet burning 4 quarts per 2K is just smashing great for the environment.

You've caused more damage in the past 6 months than all us God fearing types and our trucks the past 6 years. foktard.

im sure he pays for his carbon credits :D

lol, I bet burning 4 quarts per 2K is just smashing great for the environment.

You've caused more damage in the past 6 months than all us God fearing types and our trucks the past 6 years. foktard.

Whatever... :D

Whomper's hair makes more than 4 quarts of oil in two months.

Gotta love the slow burn.

Exactly..When you find one thats been out there a while you feel so violated

Edited by whomper

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the local oil change/car wash yesterday.

They took a look at the heads and there was no oil leakage around them. :tup:

However... the installed oil pan gasket was not designed for my car, so whoever installed it made up for the poor fit by gluing it in place. :D There was a ton of stains around it from leaking oil.

Replaced the oil pan gasket, and supposedly the problem is fixed. Total cost: $170 including oil change and car wash. :D

You know, I met you once... I didn't realize you were a chick... a very, very ugly, androgenous chick.

I still don't have stains in the garage. The stains were on the oil pan.

The seal weakened when the engine was hot, and it just dripped out very slowly.... probably when the car was moving.

Edited by AtomicCEO

I meant to ask this first time around in this thread but since it's been resurrected...

Anybody got any thoughts on synthetic oil vs regular? I always have synthetic oil put in mine at service time - it's supposed to reduce wear and last longer between changes.

Am I right or is it just a waste of money?

I meant to ask this first time around in this thread but since it's been resurrected...

Anybody got any thoughts on synthetic oil vs regular? I always have synthetic oil put in mine at service time - it's supposed to reduce wear and last longer between changes.

Am I right or is it just a waste of money?

I remember Consumer Reports doing a study of this and finding that for the vast majority of drivers there is no benefit to using synthetic. I'll look for the report later and copy it here.

Synthetic oil only here. I'm a believer. In my opinion, it is better in every way.

Do you change oil every 5,000? I do a short commute and I'm reluctant to go much more than 4,000 even though I use synthetic.

I remember Consumer Reports doing a study of this and finding that for the vast majority of drivers there is no benefit to using synthetic. I'll look for the report later and copy it here.

Cool - thanks!

I change mine about every 5,000 miles. Of course, the Chevy LT1 and LS1 recommend synthetic only. It may be overkill for a daily 4-banger beater I guess, but when it comes to something as important as oil, I'd rather have the overkill. If the manufacturers are saying use it in their higher-end engines, I'd use it in the other engines as well.

Plus I'm helping the environment by not changing oil every 3k miles. :D

Actually I've heard synthetic is better if you are making frequent short commutes.

(Edit to add: This is an endless argument for many on which is really best.)

Edited by TimC

I use synthetic only and my car tells me when to change the oil. I no longer am on a regular schedule unless I spend some time on the track. Then it's done before and after.

Cool - thanks!

I can't find it on their site anywhere :D