[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lawyer: 'Rape' girl should be 'glad of attention'

spain

Lawyer: 'Rape' girl should be 'glad of attention'

A barrister provoked outrage yesterday by claiming that the victim of an alleged gang rape was so fat she would have been 'glad of the attention'.

Sheilagh Davies, defending one of three boys accused of raping two girls, said the 16-year-old girl had 'slimmed down a lot' since the alleged attack.

She told Inner London Crown Court: 'She was 12st 6lb ? not quite the swan she may turn into. She may well have been glad of the attention.

'It is all too unrealistic that sexual encounters between boys and girls who have never met before must be against the girls' will. They are learning to be sexually attractive, perhaps before their time.

'It is all about, "Let's try it, let's get on with it".'

The boys, who were all 13 at the time of the alleged attack, are accused of stealing the girls' mobile phones on a bus and raping them repeatedly in a park.

The 16-year-old victim said she was made to perform a 'disgusting' sex act and her friend, also 16, claimed she was forced to strip and lie face down while she was raped in a park in Churchdown, Bromley, on November 23 last year.

The defendants, all from Catford, South- East London, allegedly told the girls they would be killed if they called police.

All three were arrested within a few days of the attacks but claimed that either nothing had happened or the girls had consented to sex. Two defendants have since turned 14.

The three deny various charges of robbery, rape, attempted rape and sexual assault.

The trial continues

That's just so wrong...but I got a good laugh out of it.

When I was a law clerk, I was tasked with preparing a response to a motion. I couldn't find any authority to support our position. When I reported this to the attorney who gave this assignment to me, she said "Well, if we don't say something, we lose."

Sound advice.

When I was a law clerk, I was tasked with preparing a response to a motion. I couldn't find any authority to support our position. When I reported this to the attorney who gave this assignment to me, she said "Well, if we don't say something, we lose."

Sound advice.

True enough. But there are some things that you can say that may make your loss worse. The judge/jury could become so enraged by the stupid lawyers comments, that a much stiffer penalty may be assessed that the client wouldnt have received otherwise.

Edited by spain

True enough. But there are some things that you can say that may make your loss worse. The judge/jury could become so enraged by the stupid lawyers comments, that a much stiffer penalty may be assessed that the client wouldnt have received otherwise.

Pissing off a jury usually isn't the way to go.

I think this is why people don't like your profession. If there is no merit to someone's position, why don't the lawyers just turn down the case?

I think this is why people don't like your profession. If there is no merit to someone's position, why don't the lawyers just turn down the case?

Someone has to take a criminal defense case. Doesn't matter if the guy is a seriel killer, someone should represent him to the best of their ability.

Well, when you represent the defendant, you typically get involved at the beginning of a case before you know all of the facts. If you represent the defendant, and you have no legitimate defense, you settle the case. But you still have to zealously represent your client. As I recall, in that particular case, we emphasized the facts and equity, and deemphasized the law.

But, from a plaintiff's perspective, a lawyer should not file a complaint if he/she knows that the case does not have merit.

Well, when you represent the defendant, you typically get involved at the beginning of a case before you know all of the facts. If you represent the defendant, and you have no legitimate defense, you settle the case. But you still have to zealously represent your client. As I recall, in that particular case, we emphasized the facts and equity, and deemphasized the law.

But, from a plaintiff's perspective, a lawyer should not file a complaint if he/she knows that the case does not have merit.

well, that does seem reasonable enough to me--thanks for the reply

Sound advice.

Did you win?

I don't recall.

He has to say that--if he says "no" then we will know that he is a crappy lawyer, but if he says "yes" then we will know that he is a weasily lawyer.

:D

Holy crap that is dead on the money! :D