[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm buying two cars

SuperBalla

I did and yer right. I have weighed the financial and we're okay. I am looking for advice on cars and suvs upon personal experience.

I have the kids college rolling and like I said, we're cool.

You have a perfectly good point and one that should have been asked. I asked it myself...a hundred times. This is what she wants and so she gets. (did I mention she is smokin hot) and edit to add: (She got her masters two years ago and this is sort of a late gift and we also had a baby which post-poned the car/suv purchase).

:D

hope that didn't hurt yer feelings chuck :doh:

:tup:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a perfectly good point and one that should have been asked. I asked it myself...a hundred times. This is what she wants and so she gets. (did I mention she is smokin hot) and edit to add: (She got her masters two years ago and this is sort of a late gift and we also had a baby which post-poned the car/suv purchase).

Get yer toys Balla.. gotta give her what she wants. Seriously, PM me if you want me to look into my connections, I can get you cars you'd make money off from if you sold them right away... I know a guy.

you are confirming my suspicion that this is a chick-vehicle. is this true?

edited to ask: anyone here drive one of these?

If driving an SUV with plenty of room, getting well over 20 MPG, that doesn't roll when hit going 30 MPH, costs under 25K with all the options, and will only need spark plugs and oil changed for 150K miles is a chick mobile-then I guess it is.

If driving an SUV with plenty of room, getting well over 20 MPG, that doesn't roll when hit going 30 MPH, costs under 25K with all the options, and will only need spark plugs and oil changed for 150K miles is a chick mobile-then I guess it is.

actually i asked because i like the vehicle and love honda (we have an accord and an odyssey now).

maybe if i get a black one and then put the bengals car helmet on it ... that could work.

shut up menudo.

Wifey drives a new Volvo S-70 Turbo which is pretty nice. We looked at BMW, Mercedes and a couple SUVs, but opted for the Vulva for the saftey/mileage combo. She drives about 130 miles a day near Chicago so i wanted a tank. The turbo gives it nice power for a midsize sedan plus it rides much smoother than my Quattro A4, but lacks the sport suspension and turning radius.

I can also get 2 sets of golf clubs in it which is close to impossible in the Audi without putting the back seats down :D

Here is where we are at.

I have a 2002 Tundra and the lease is up in July 2007. I have an option to buy this truck for $11,100 (roughly) at the end of the lease. We own her 2000 Camry, like I mentioned before. We have someone lined up, we are 95% sure, that they will buy our Camry for roughly $7,000. The dealership said they'd allow that transaction to take place at the dealership. Basically, they'd take care of the paperwork (title, tax, plates, etc.) however...they'd treat the $7,000 like a trade in or cash, which it is. So...I went and took a Toyota Rav4 home tonight for my wife to look at without a salesman breathing down our neck (This will also be our third and fourth new vehicle from the same dealership). She likes it alot. Rav4 limited 4x2 She liked the limited...ofcourse. :D

So...what I am thinking about doing is this. Do this In and Out purchase where we'll have $7,000 towards a vehicle. So...if I terminate the lease and I opt to buy the truck I have, it will cost me $11,100 plus tax. I could take the $7,000 credit and put it towards purchasing my old truck I was leasing. That way I 'd be buying the truck for roughly $5,100. Becasue the intrest rates are cheaper for a "new" car purchase...we'll buy her car without anything down. In a year or two I could pay off the $5,100 and then trade my truck in...for something for me.

Also, I found a 2002 Tundra, exactly like mine with same mileage, at the same dealership selling for $16,985. My point is...why not turn around and sell the Tundra, without a hurry for $16,000 while I only had $4,100 financed. Does that make sense?

Spain...you were hugh with hooking me up with the edmunds.com site. Yer a hero. :D

Edited by SuperBalla

Also, I found a 2002 Tundra, exactly like mine with same mileage, at the same dealership selling for $16,985. My point is...why not turn around and sell the Tundra, without a hurry for $16,000 while I only had $4,100 financed.

What's the Blue book value (wholesale)? I don't think you'll get anywhere near what a dealership is asking, due to a possible warranty, wiggle room, etc.. You could probably get something over wholesale, but no where near retail BB.

What's the Blue book value (wholesale)? I don't think you'll get anywhere near what a dealership is asking, due to a possible warranty, wiggle room, etc.. You could probably get something over wholesale, but no where near retail BB.

plus, a dealer never sells a used car for what they have on the sticker. they just put an exorbitantly high sticker on those so people feel like they're getting a good deal when they "come down". balla, you may come out ahead plunking down 11 grand to buy your truck, but i don't think you'll be coming out 5-6 grand ahead.

plus, a dealer never sells a used car for what they have on the sticker. they just put an exorbitantly high sticker on those so people feel like they're getting a good deal when they "come down". balla, you may come out ahead plunking down 11 grand to buy your truck, but i don't think you'll be coming out 5-6 grand ahead.

I think I'd sell my truck to a person instead of trading it in.

Edmonds.com is a great place to find out what your car is worth. On the site they will give you what you can get for the car if you sell to a private party, what a dealership can expect to get for the car, and what the trade in value is. I haven't sold a car for a while, but I believe you put in a zipcode meaning there's possible data collection for cars sold in your area. You also are able to put in the options you have on your vehicle so if you have alloy wheels, 6 speaker Bose stereo, and sunroof that changes the value. The extra options for each vehicle is listed so you just click on the options you have. You also click whether your car is in excellent, good, or fair condition, and it gives you guidelines on how to select.

It really helped me out a lot. Also go to autotrader.com and see what your truck is being listed for by private parties in your area.

This is the info. I used when selling a car.

When buying a car I went to Edmunds as well. They put you in contact with the dealership's internet manager who will email you what they will sell you a car for-you never even need to talk to the guy if you don't want. Since you are referred from the Edmunds site they are very aware you know the invoice price and the manager will never even discuss sticker. He will just quote you a price above invoice. I then take his quote and call 2-3 other dealerships and ask if they can beat that price. This is how I've been buying cars for 10 years. Sometimes I go with the dealer that first gave me the quote from Edmunds, and sometimes another dealership will beat it.

They put you in contact with the dealership's internet manager who will email you what they will sell you a car for-you never even need to talk to the guy if you don't want. Since you are referred from the Edmunds site they are very aware you know the invoice price and the manager will never even discuss sticker. He will just quote you a price above invoice. I then take his quote and call 2-3 other dealerships and ask if they can beat that price. This is how I've been buying cars for 10 years. Sometimes I go with the dealer that first gave me the quote from Edmunds, and sometimes another dealership will beat it.

I have done this, this week. :D

Edited by SuperBalla

Now she is looking at the Honda CRV. I really think she is going to go with it. She's going to test drive it tommorow. Honda seems to be alot more reasonable than Toyota.

I had narrowed my purchase down to the Rav 4 and CR-V, and had owned a Sub. Outback before that. In 2005, the Rav 4 was smaller than it is now, so that was my main issue. I don't know what it's like now, but the option packages on the Rav 4 were very confusing, and the interior was kind of plastic and cheap.

I ended up with the CR-V SE which was the first year of the "Special Edition" model. I have been happy with it but only has 30K on it. The true test of a car's reliability is when it hits about 80K + It rides really nice, but a common complaint of the CR-V's are they pull to the right. Mine does, but it doesn't bother me. My Outback did way better in the snow and on bumpy forest service dirt roads, and I'd say that's my biggest complaint. I have gotten stuck in my CR-V and never did with the Outback. The other thing I didn't think about is getting bikes on top of the car. The CR-V is taller than the Outback, and a hassle, so I had to buy a rear mount bike rack. I didn't get one with a swing arm so when bikes are on, you can't get the rear door open, but you can get the rear window open to get things out of the back.

What I like better than the Outback is the larger size, you sit higher up, fewer blindspots, and bigger turning radius. The seats are way more comfortable. So, much easier to drive.

I hear ya...but reality is different. How did you buy yer house?

Agreed, but a house is an asset that (under normal conditions) allows a tax write off and constantly appreciates in value. A new car loses value faster than anything with the possible exception of a computer.

Its not easy, I was 11 years into marriage before I realized that debt=the devil, but right now the only debt I do have is my house. Not trying to judge here guys, just pointing out how easy life gets when you don't have a grand in car payments to make every month.

actually i asked because i like the vehicle and love honda (we have an accord and an odyssey now).

maybe if i get a black one and then put the bengals car helmet on it ... that could work.

shut up menudo.

What ? :tup:

What ? :D

maybe he was expecting a comment or two about profiling, or wanted advice about how to pimp his car so he could have a couple of different secret stash areas for his guns and dope.

I had narrowed my purchase down to the Rav 4 and CR-V, and had owned a Sub. Outback before that. In 2005, the Rav 4 was smaller than it is now, so that was my main issue. I don't know what it's like now, but the option packages on the Rav 4 were very confusing, and the interior was kind of plastic and cheap.

I ended up with the CR-V SE which was the first year of the "Special Edition" model. I have been happy with it but only has 30K on it. The true test of a car's reliability is when it hits about 80K + It rides really nice, but a common complaint of the CR-V's are they pull to the right. Mine does, but it doesn't bother me. My Outback did way better in the snow and on bumpy forest service dirt roads, and I'd say that's my biggest complaint. I have gotten stuck in my CR-V and never did with the Outback. The other thing I didn't think about is getting bikes on top of the car. The CR-V is taller than the Outback, and a hassle, so I had to buy a rear mount bike rack. I didn't get one with a swing arm so when bikes are on, you can't get the rear door open, but you can get the rear window open to get things out of the back.

What I like better than the Outback is the larger size, you sit higher up, fewer blindspots, and bigger turning radius. The seats are way more comfortable. So, much easier to drive.

Nice info here...thanks!

Agreed, but a house is an asset that (under normal conditions) allows a tax write off and constantly appreciates in value. A new car loses value faster than anything with the possible exception of a computer.

Its not easy, I was 11 years into marriage before I realized that debt=the devil, but right now the only debt I do have is my house. Not trying to judge here guys, just pointing out how easy life gets when you don't have a grand in car payments to make every month.

:D See...I just want advice about friggin cars/suvs... not the lecture on why they cost so friggin much and/or depreciate. No offense...I just want to know what you bought and why? :D