[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mountain Bikes

alexgaddis

I wouldn't buy a bike from Walmart or target unless you are only looking to ride once a year.

Can you explain why? Once a year? A bike from Wal-Mart or Target is only good for one ride a year, or should i say 60 times or so and then its junk? :D

Man, this has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever read :D

Edited by Hat Trick

Can you explain why? Once a year? A bike from Wal-Mart or Target is only good for one ride a year, or should i say 60 times or so and then its junk? :D

Man, this has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever read :D

Uhh, because bikes sold there are pieces of crap?

This plethora of information and other information like it is why I recommend visiting a bike shop. They will help you get a product that fits your needs.

Although I do not think you need to spend $600 on a bike to ride around with your kid. At the very least I think it would be worth your time to go fact finding, and then make a decision. If you chose to reward the bike shop with your business once they have helped you figure out what you need....well.....that will help them be there next time you need to know something. But, there's no rule that says you need to buy from them.

Like I mentioned, you don't need to spend $600 unless you want a true mtn bike (hardtail).

If you can afford it, I think you should spend $400 and the major reason is the quailty drivetrain you will get. You want shifters that don't slip and constantly go out of adjustment. Also if you have to shift quickly they are really true and the bike chain won't fall off. Same goes for the brakes-they don't constantly need adjusting. On a $400 bike, you will normally get 24 gears to help with hill climbing and a cassette built to climb hills. If you are out of shape it will be a lot easier to climb with the right ratio cassette on the bike.

Once over the say $500 range for a bike w/o a suspension you are basically just getting a lighter bike. More alloy parts and aluminum frame. The drive train is better, with the shifters able to take the abuse of a lot of shifting and shifters and the derailleur (sp?) will last longer.

Be careful, many $400 bikes have expensive frames, but cheap components. It's better to buy the best drivetrain components and go for a cheap frame. Cheap frames are just heavier and double butted to withstand a hard crash. I personally would only buy shifters and derailleurs made by Shimano or SRAM and brakes made by Shimano, SRAM or Hayes.

If you buy used off of Craigslist, go to a bike shop and learn how to fit yourself first so you know what size frame you get.-it's easy but really important.

One tip for women, there are women's specific bikes now but most are built for men. The length of the bar between the headset and the seat post is often too long. You won't really know it's a problem until you've been on the bike for an hour. The back of the neck starts to ache from being too stretched out. Try to find a bike with the shortest distance. Your better bikes can be retrofitted with angled curved alloy pieces to shorten that distance if it becomes a problem.

Don't forget when budgeting for a helmet, bike pump (I like having a stand alone pump for the garage), and frame pump that is fixed on your bike or in pack for emergencies. They are a\pain to use on a regular basis so I like having a floor pump for the garage. Don't forget to buy a tire repair kit and learn how to change a tire on the road. As you go up in price on helmets you get better and easier adjustability, lighterweight, and more importantly more venting for better ventilation on hot days-16 vents, I'd say is minimum.

Don't forget when budgeting for a helmet, bike pump (I like having a stand alone pump for the garage), and frame pump that is fixed on your bike or in pack for emergencies. They are a\pain to use on a regular basis so I like having a floor pump for the garage. Don't forget to buy a tire repair kit and learn how to change a tire on the road. As you go up in price on helmets you get better and easier adjustability, lighterweight, and more importantly more venting for better ventilation on hot days-16 vents, I'd say is minimum.

Oh right, so I can get beat up by the 15 year olds when I zoom by??? :D

I have this exact bike that I also purchased from Target last year. It is fine for what you want if for, which is what I also use it for. I did spend $30 on a very comfortable seat from the bike shop however.

Any problems with the derailler or chain??

That may be true, but for putzing around the 'hood with the wife a Schwinn from Target will work fine. Although I do like your Craiglist Giant idea for $150. Those are quality bikes.

Any problems with the derailler or chain??

None at all. I only ride it sporadically however. When I went to the bike shop to purchase the seat I asked the guy what the difference is in their 26" Schwinn versus the Target one (other than $100). He mentioned that they are manufactured differently for the discount stores (bearings may not have enough grease, etc.) If I was really into biking, I definitely would have spent more money and got a better bike. No need for what I use if for. The new seat however, is a must.

As pointed out by Puddy above......which bike I have......I have to disagree. It's not a piece of crap, the bike I had previously was a piece of crap. I love my new bike and I ride about 20 miles a week with it. I agree with Puddy a new seat is a must, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Edited by Hat Trick

None at all. I only ride it sporadically however. When I went to the bike shop to purchase the seat I asked the guy what the difference is in their 26" Schwinn versus the Target one (other than $100). He mentioned that they are manufactured differently for the discount stores (bearings may not have enough grease, etc.) If I was really into biking, I definitely would have spent more money and got a better bike. No need for what I use if for. The new seat however, is a must.

As I mentioned in a previous post, make sure the seat is comfortable and an easy upgrade.

I looked at this Schwinn bike online and it's not bad. Schwinn is reputable (I still own a Schwinn Moab that I have around for vistitors) and the drivetrain is SRAM and Shimano. I couldn't tell if the seat post is adjustable and that is imperative-I'm assuming all bikes are-not sure. If you are going to buy cheap, go Schwinn. I'd stay away from Huffy and all the other weird brands I saw on the Target website. Many didn't even list the components brands on the bikes.

AG, the bikes at the big box stores are probably fine, but generally heavier than you might like if you decide you enjoy it and want to get more serious.

If I were you, I would look for a name brand like

Trek

Giant

Fisher

Cannondale

Specialized

Etc. through craigs list/paper/yard sale, whatever. Also, check college newspapers as sometimes students sell their bikes at the end of the school year, you can get a good deal and your timing is about right. You should be able to get a solid chromoly hardtail at a decent price that way, with a good frame and more than adequate drivetrain, as all these brands make quality products. Also if you decide to resell it, you will be able to get your money back out of it. I don't know that that would be as easy with a big box bike.

You might want to go to a bike shop under the auspices of "just looking" to get measured so you are looking for the right size. And if you do go used, if you decide to do something like go camping with it, I would take it to have it serviced first just to be safe, so you don't get stuck somewhere.

Edited by Bonehand

AG, the bikes at the big box stores are probably fine, but generally heavier than you might like if you decide you enjoy it and want to get more serious.

Trek

Giant

Fisher

Cannondale

Specialized

Etc. through craigs list/paper/yard sale, whatever. Also, check college newspapers as sometimes students sell their bikes at the end of the school year, you can get a good deal and your timing is about right. You should be able to get a solid chromoly hardtail at a decent price that way, with a good frame and more than adequate drivetrain, as all these brands make quality products. Also if you decide to resell it, you will be able to get your money back out of it. I don't know that that would be as easy with a big box bike.

You might want to go to a bike shop under the auspices of "just looking" to get measured so you are looking for the right size. And if you do go used, if you decide to do something like go camping with it, I would take it to have it serviced first just to be safe, so you don't get stuck somewhere.

this post is good info. i wouldn't buy an $80 dollar huffy from walmart, but that may be your second best option. for what you describe, i don't see any need to walk into a bike store and drop $350+. get a quality bike from a garage sale, maybe take it in to a shop and have them tune it, and you're good to go.

Trek

Giant

Fisher

Cannondale

Specialized

Right, that's what I meant by "piece of crap", although I didn't realize Target carried Schwinn. That may be doable, actually.

And this is why I suggested a cheaper (or used) bike like a Trek, Giant, etc... if he in fact decided to take the bike off-road (sans daughter I imagine) he's not going to want to be on a $150 hunk of steel bought from Wal-Mart. Just my opinion.

Alex, you can have mine if you want. It's pretty old, but you know me...it was a pretty good model at the time. It has 2 flat tires, but thats all thats wrong with it.

Actually, it might be too small for you. Anyways, check it out sometime.

Otherwise, I saw a place on Lyndale (right behind the CC Club) called Re-Cycle. They sell used bikes. Looked like a cool place, and it would make you cool. You could tell all your "suburban" friends like JR, that you bought this cool bike in Uptown!!

Actually, it might be too small for you. Anyways, check it out sometime.

Otherwise, I saw a place on Lyndale (right behind the CC Club) called Re-Cycle. They sell used bikes. Looked like a cool place, and it would make you cool. You could tell all your "suburban" friends like JR, that you bought this cool bike in Uptown!!

:D

boy do I miss the days of being a hipster in Uptown...:D

So I made the mistake of going to a bike shop and now I want a Marin...I would link to the site but it is blocked at work...very cool affordable road bikes from a company in San Diego I think...

Edited by alexgaddis

So I made the mistake of going to a bike shop and now I want a Marin...I would link to the site but it is blocked at work...very cool affordable road bikes from a company in San Diego I think...

:D Marin Bikes are from.... Marin County. Got the state right at least.

Marin has been around for a long, long time. Quality bike.

Make sure you don't put a mirror on it, though. :D

:D