[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TIVO

untateve

I have directv. I've never gotten around to getting TIVO. I am naive and helpless.

Do I need to buy any equipment?

What's the best way to get TIVO...do I go through directv?

Is there a method to getting a deal?

I implore the assistance of those who have gone before me. My appreciation knows no bounds.

Agree with Bear. In fact, I think if you have Directv, you MUST go through them to get TIVO. The two companies have a contract that says everything goes through Directv.

TIVO (and DVR's for non-Directv users) is life-changing. Never again will you stress about missing part of a favorite show or a game. For example, if you're gonna watch the game but you get home 20 minutes after kickoff, instead of being pissed that you missed part of it, just have your TIVO record it, then start watching the recording while TIVO continues to record. When you get to commercials, you just FF through them. That 20 minute cushion means you can zap through 20 minutes of commericals until to "catch up" with real time.

TIVO = best invention since cans.

I have directv. I've never gotten around to getting TIVO. I am naive and helpless.

Do I need to buy any equipment?

What's the best way to get TIVO...do I go through directv?

Is there a method to getting a deal?

I implore the assistance of those who have gone before me. My appreciation knows no bounds.

do you have standard tv or hdtv? for standard tv, there's the R10 receiver, which has two tuners and is tivo-based. however, i think that's been replaced with the R15, which, i believe, is not tivo-based -- instead it's directv's proprietary service. you can still find the R10 online, though, i'm sure. i have that one and the hr10-250, which is the tivo-based HD-DVR. directv is no longer offering that one, but, again, i think you can find it online. it's a lot better than the one directv offers (hr20-700).

I bought my TiVO at best buy in 2000 for $100.00 It only had like 20 hours of memory. It got fried in a thunderstorm in about 2003. I called direct TV and they sent me a new one for free. With like 70 hours of time. I think I paid $5.00 a month for the service back in 2000. They stoped charging me that fee years ago.

Personally, if I were just starting my TiVO revolution and already had directtv, I'd just call them directly. I've never been anything but 100% satisfied with their customer service.

You will love TiVO. You will hate staying at hotels after you strat using it.

You should be able to get DirecTV and get a TIVO box (as opposed to the DVR DirecTV is now shilling out). TIVO is waaaaay better then the box DirecTV gives you. I love DirecTV, but hate their DVR boxes.

There's a previous thread in the Tailgate on this somewhere....

You should be able to get DirecTV and get a TIVO box (as opposed to the DVR DirecTV is now shilling out). TIVO is waaaaay better then the box DirecTV gives you. I love DirecTV, but hate their DVR boxes.

There's a previous thread in the Tailgate on this somewhere....

I didn't know that. I don't know the last time directtv sent me the receiver unit but the one I got from DirectTv is the DirecTV DVR R-10 with the TiVO logo on the unit. Not a sticker, either but more like an emblem I guess. It's on there pretty solid.

If DirecTV tries to charge you a lot for a TiVo box... I probably have a dual tuner one in storage from 2000 or 2001. I don't have DTV anymore, but I had paid for it up front.

I imagine they have some deal on a newer box that would make my offer worthless though.

I didn't know that. I don't know the last time directtv sent me the receiver unit but the one I got from DirectTv is the DirecTV DVR R-10 with the TiVO logo on the unit. Not a sticker, either but more like an emblem I guess. It's on there pretty solid.

DirecTV ended their deal with TIVO a couple of years ago so I am guessing you got it before the deal was ended (as did I).