[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is a more likely cause of WW III?

muck

What is a more likely cause of WW III?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. What is a more likely cause of WW III?

• access to energy sources (oil, natural gas, etc)
    • access to drinkable water
    • One will cause WW III and one will cause WW IV
    • Neither; it'll be something else
    • There won't be a WW III

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason I have a hard time thinking that drinking water will ever be an issue. I mean the world is made up of mostly water. Surely if things start taking a bad turn we can build enough water purifiers to satisfy our thirst. Maybe this is how the US can become a major manufacturer in the world again. By supplying it with drinking water.

You need to read Cadillac Desert.

Edited by bushwacked

I'm reading that right now. Not done, but doesn't that book deal more with the agricultural uses of water, rather than drinking water?

Yes, the western water supply and the self-sustainability of the American west (along with a great revistation of historic events). I think the long term demand for fresh water in the arid and semi-arid western United States will prove to be a big and rather immediate challenge for the United States. I'm not sure how that (or the drinking water) might directly contribute to WW3 however. I was just trying to emphasize that many educated hydrologists and scientists see our fresh water supply in the western US as a rather significant issue.

Our company works on a project in Wyoming where the state is installing a series of water supply wells along the Platte river, pumping out of a confined aquifer to satisfy an agreement with the state of Nebraska. Nebraska is guaranteed X cubic feet per second surface water discharge when the Platte croses the state line. This excercise is as counter-intuitive and retarted as it comes across. A tremoundous waste of "fossil water."

No religion choice? How about radical Islam vs. the West.

That's what I think it'll be if it happens. Iran vs. US: most others choose sides. Even with the poor popularity of the US, I tend to think most countries will side with us when it comes to freedom versus religious fanatics.

Would a small, but deadly exhange of say 5-6 nukes between 2 of China/India/Pakistan that results in millions dead fall under the "WW3" label? I think that's the most likely horrible thing to happen though I ,for sure, hope I'm wrong.

I do think we should let nature take it's course and let Arizona and California dry out it if the water situation becomes critical. That's what you get for living in the desert. Like Africa, move to where the water is.

How much will owning over one fifth of the entire world's supply of fresh water make Canada a major player? :D

The canucks are with us and on our side so we should be set with fresh water , maple syrup and hockey players for a very long time :D

Yes, the western water supply and the self-sustainability of the American west (along with a great revistation of historic events). I think the long term demand for fresh water in the arid and semi-arid western United States will prove to be a big and rather immediate challenge for the United States. I'm not sure how that (or the drinking water) might directly contribute to WW3 however. I was just trying to emphasize that many educated hydrologists and scientists see our fresh water supply in the western US as a rather significant issue.

Supplying water for cities is not the problem. We have technological ways of doing that, and the impact of doubling the price of water (which desalination easily does, not including capital) will be minimal for homeowners and most industry. Supplying water cheaply enough to keep farmers happy without draining every last drop of every last river, however, is a problem. There will be a confrontation/decision point between farmers and environmental folks regarding water and agriculture in the naturally arid parts of the American West. My guess is that the economic paradigm of agriculture will have to change to adapt. As contentious as this will be, it will not be war or crisis scale, unless you are one of the farmers affected.