[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hurt Knees

Duchess Jack

My buddy hurt his knee going for a volleyball around a month ago. He's a kicker and torqued in a weird way.

Its still pretty bad, but he does not want to get it checked out yet - because he is afraid that he'll be laid up for a bit and he won't top playing volleyball (or kicking while playnig). We play once to twice a week crazy, bloody games.

What is he risking by playing?

What feelings should he be worried about (in his knee)?

Generally, twisting the knee causes damage to the meniscus or cartilage in the form of tears.

If he expereiences alot of pain when climbing stairs, he probably has damaged the meniscus and should see a doctor.

Tell him to quit being an idiot and go see a doctor.

I have been, but was hoping to find some worst cases to pitch him. He said he's fine on missing out of Football season, but that he won't miss out of volleyball season. And despite everything, he continues to kick.... either planting the bad leg or kicking with it... either way, not too bright

tell him to get it checked out by doctor.

FWIW, buddy of mine and I both blew our ACLs and slight miniscus tears within a month of each other. Both of us saw a doctor early in the injury. I had the surgery right away and rehabbed. Stayed away from sports for a good year, but exercised to strengthen the knee. No problem since. My buddy kept on playing ( softball, volleyball, wakeboarding)until summer was over, couldn't miss out on a season of said sports. Had the surgery but didn't give it time to rehab. continued with basketball right after Xmas. Needless to say I think he's had about 6 knee surgeries cuz he's gotta stay active. missing a little time in the grand scheme of things will pay off later down the road IMO.

Just remind him that joint injuries move up.

not taking care ofankle injuries leads to knee injuries.... not taking care of knee injuries leads to hip injuries. Hip replacement is no joke (well, neither is knee or ankle surgery, but they are a lot less damaging)

Tell him t oget it checked... volleyball season is not worth being in a wheelchair or walking with a cane for the rest of your life.

hurt my knee in 92... rehabbed it. reinjured it.. rehabbed it.. reinjured it.... decided to go in for surgery.. replaced acl early 94 (mcl and maniscus was also damaged). was religious about pt and kept myself away from sports for about 9 months...... it's been solid since.... knee is prob at 90% of what it was prior to the injury.... back then i had less weight and was pretty fast. definitely lost a step.... noticed it most when playing basketball...almost always got my first step on someone... it then took extra to do so.

i think not getting it looked at runs the risk of further damage

Ok, but hurting your knee while playing volleyball because you kick the ball instead of diving like a man is pretty ghey.

Beach rules, so kicking is acceptable. We've three people that I play with who have golden feet. I've no complaints with two of them. I do feel that the guy we are talking about (the third) goes for lower percentage kicks when a good dive and dig is more appropiate.