[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Auction Strategy

Trots

A little background. 13th year this league has been in existence. 2nd year of the auction format. $100 available with set rosters of 2 QBs, 3 RBs, 4 WRs, 2 TEs, 2 Ks, 2 Ds and 1 Flex of any position. Last year, most of the top players went for crazy amounts of money. (i.e. Peyton $44, LT $43, Chad Johnson $27, Gates $19, etc)

Is the best strategy to sit idle for awhile and let everyone spend their cash like drunken sailors? One team did that last year and was able to get a lot of bargains. Will the spending be more in line this year? What can I expect? :D

I always tier players and have a max amount of money I'm willing to spend on that said tier. Most people screw up when they get overly competitive in the bidding process. They lose focus of value and want to "win" the player thats up for auction. I refuse to pay over what I view as there real value.

Is the best strategy to sit idle for awhile and let everyone spend their cash like drunken sailors? One team did that last year and was able to get a lot of bargains. Will the spending be more in line this year? What can I expect? :D
There is no pat answer to this. Bargains are great - to a point - but remember, the point isn't simply to get the best bargains, but to field the best team. As for whether to spend a lot on a few studs and hope for bargain "upside" players to pan out or field a more balanced team with better depth.....no pat answer there either. I've seen teams do well or not w/both strats.

Basically I'd get a good feel for what you're willing to spend on each player in your cheatsheet and MORE OR LESS stick to it - anyone who says don't ever stray from it by even $1 shouldn't be taken seriously about auctions, because one thing about an auction is it's very dynamic (changeable) - plus if you've targeted a player and someone bids your max - so what if you have to spend a measly extra buck to get him? Odds are you can find a bargain or 3 later to compensate anyway. Course on the other hand, don't go nuts getting caught up in a bidding war either.

Having said that, based on some of the prices you've said, yeah I'd probably let people stupidly overpay like they apparently did a lot last year (lmao @ $44 for Manning).

A lot of owners at auctions like to see what kind of pace is going to be set in the beginning of the draft. You want to be the one who sets the pace. That means go for it right out of the gate IMO (at least for your #1 RB).

Also, don't be afraid to put someone up for bid who you know you don't want (so that someone else can take that player instead of the guy that you really want). But make sure you throw him out for the minimum so you don't get stuck with someone you hate.

it is all very dynamic. you have to watch and see what players are going for vs. your projections. if you feel that many owners are overbidding early vs. fair value, then you can be confident that many bargains will be there later. if you see guys going for fair value, then you need to get in and get the players you like before they vanish.

most auctions have a point where things change over from fair value to bargains, and it varies from one auction to the next as to when that point happens. you don't want to get caught if it happens late, because the talent pickings will be thin (albeit cheap). if it happens early, then those with the most money left will rule the draft.

as stated, i always bring up players i don't want to try and suck money out of the collective. it is also of major importance that you track everyone's rosters and $$ left, so you know who you may be competing with for key positions.

But make sure you throw him out for the minimum so you don't get stuck with someone you hate.
Note: this does NOT apply to the top players in the draft. I hate when people go "LT.....one dollar." :tard: At least get semi-near the very bottom of what you know he'll go far and not waste people's time.

But when you get to about the mid and esp late rounds, yeah definitely never more than a buck, and don't up bids by more than a buck either (in $100 leagues at least).

You didn't mention how many owners are in your league. I'm in a 16 team auction, 19 spots to fill and $175 to spend. There are VERY few bargains after the studs are gone because so many owners need players. In our league you better be willing to spend money to get who you want. The fun is bidding up the price for the other saps for someone you don't want. We've had owners hold onto their $$ and they ended up paying top dollar for average players because they waited for bargains that never materialized.

DMD has a great article (in the archives I believe) about three different strategies for auctions.

I definitely agree with throwing out high $$ names early that you know you don't want and will draw out a large % of anther owner. But I think a smart strategy can be to throw out a second tier player that you really like and attach a decent $ to him with your opening bid. It's a surprise, and often times other owners will not pull the trigger on a $5-$10 bid while there are so many big guns still out there and they might be entertaining bids on them. Another factor is whether you hold over any players or not, if so, a good young player at a good price can be a great thing moving forward. You can sometimes save a few $$, fill in a spot or two on the roster, and have a little more to be more competitive and targeted later on.

This year seems to hold some interesting possibilities for Auction Strategy.

Honestly, you've got LDT, Jackson and Gore at RB and then a massive dropoff as you move to other guys that should be stud RBs. Do you really want to drop 30-35% of your salary on guys like Westbrook (with his injury risk), LJ (who may hold out and will definitely play behind a depleted line), Alexander (foot, depleted line, and age/mileage adding up). This draft seems especially likely to generate some major "1st round" RB busts (think Lamont Jordan, Cadillac Williams last year.

With that said, I would be looking to grab a RB1 at half the price (guys with upside like Henry, R Brown or even Cadillac) this year, and then investing my savings on studs elsewhere (Manning, Gates, Chicago or Balt DST, Vinatieri). It's not all that unlikely that Henry, Brown and/or Cadillac eclipse a lot of the names in the #4 - #9 RB spots, and at half the price.