[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you wear a "blue tooth" (phone headset)?

BeeR

I will not speak to someone if they keep one of those damned things in their ear. I've had salesmen call on me wearing those things and have told them straight up that nothing will get sold today if they don't put their toys away.

For that matter, I feel the same way about cell phones in general.

I carry one and use it often, but I also remember when we didn't have them. The simple fact that you have the luxury of having someone leave you a message, being able to retrieve it wherever you are, and call them back should be enough. People who make a habit of always answering their cell when talking to someone else face to face should be beaten. If you are expecting an important call and politely excuse yourself, that's another thing.

Exactly, well said.

And CEO, in the car I could see one OCCASIONALLY or if there's a "real need" - however many of these cyborg wannabe dorks use cell phones/blue toofs/etc while driving to ask the wife if they should pick up a gallon of milk, or worse, just to call up their buddy to say "yo dawg" (or whatever).

But even beyond the car thing, we have these dorks work walking around w/em on - sometimes not even talking to anyone. :wacko: I'm all for technology but this phone obsession BS has long ago gotten unbelievably ridiculous. Earth to tards: you/your life is NOT that extra-important or impressive, and nobody who sees you yapping on the phone thinks it is because you are. Try paying attention to your life where you actually happen to be at for a change......ESPECIALLY if you're on the road.

And I don't want people over 50 to be allowed on the roads between 8-9am and 5-6pm, but sometimes life isn't fair.
? People over 50 aren't inherently more dangerous (in fact they're on avg far safer drivers than younger people, except maybe when you get up into the seriously old coots) - but people yapping away on cell phones while driving are.

oh and smoking while driving should be illegal too

:D Analogies aren't exactly your strong suit are they?

Likewise to people going "yeah but kids or chatty passengers (etc) are distracting too!" So? Kids are a whole different thing. You don't NEED to jabber away on cell phones while driving, but you do need to cart the kids off to wherever. And how are you supposed to ban (never mind enforce the ban on) chatty passengers?

I have to use the phone while driving
:D I seriously doubt it. Why do you "have" to?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, well said.

And CEO, in the car I could see one OCCASIONALLY or if there's a "real need" - however many of these cyborg wannabe dorks use cell phones/blue toofs/etc while driving to ask the wife if they should pick up a gallon of milk, or worse, just to call up their buddy to say "yo dawg" (or whatever).

But even beyond the car thing, we have these dorks work walking around w/em on - sometimes not even talking to anyone. :wacko: I'm all for technology but this phone obsession BS has long ago gotten unbelievably ridiculous. Earth to tards: you/your life is NOT that extra-important or impressive, and nobody who sees you yapping on the phone thinks it is because you are. Try paying attention to your life where you actually happen to be at for a change......ESPECIALLY if you're on the road.

? People over 50 aren't inherently more dangerous (in fact they're on avg far safer drivers than younger people, except maybe when you get up into the seriously old coots) - but people yapping away on cell phones while driving are.

Likewise to people going "yeah but kids or chatty passengers (etc) are distracting too!" So? Kids are a whole different thing. You don't NEED to jabber away on cell phones while driving, but you do need to cart the kids off to wherever. And how are you supposed to ban (never mind enforce the ban on) chatty passengers?

You are quite the tool - but most knew that already.

I use my bluetooth on the road. I actually find that I'm worse when I'm flippin' CDs in and out & messing w/ the radio than while on the phone. Also, I've got to admit that if I try to dial the cell while driving, it is a definite distraction. So unless I'm calling someone w/ one-touch functionality, I either wait until a red light or get to where I'm going or actually pull off the highway to make the call.

my phone has a feature called DIGIT DIAL..i push one button and then can have it dial any number I say or any

number from my phone book

Exactly, well said.

And CEO, in the car I could see one OCCASIONALLY or if there's a "real need" - however many of these cyborg wannabe dorks use cell phones/blue toofs/etc while driving to ask the wife if they should pick up a gallon of milk, or worse, just to call up their buddy to say "yo dawg" (or whatever). so they dont make the call about picking up a gallon of milk on the way home after a long day at work....they then get home after said long day at work and have to get back in the car and schlep out to the store for a gallon of milk? I wonder just how alert of a driver they are being at that point...after all there are also studies that show most accidents occur close to home...my guess is that the store they would go to get the milk at would be within that "close to home" range.

But even beyond the car thing, we have these dorks work walking around w/em on - sometimes not even talking to anyone. :wacko: I'm all for technology but this phone obsession BS has long ago gotten unbelievably ridiculous. Earth to tards: you/your life is NOT that extra-important or impressive, and nobody who sees you yapping on the phone thinks it is because you are. Try paying attention to your life where you actually happen to be at for a change......ESPECIALLY if you're on the road. We agree that they are dorks for walking around and using them in public like they are King Tut.

I wonder what that study on people using cell phones would show if they broke it down....you know like how many accidents were drivers under the age of 18, 21, 30 ...over 50, over 60, over 70...how many had their DLs less then 2 yrs, more then 50 yrs etc...i think you get the picture...my guess is that a LARGE PORTION of all accidents are caused by inexperienced drivers cell phones or not...also can a study be done on how much road rage those old drivers create that then cause accidents that the old driver wasnt in?

ummm i made a statement not an analogy but i have to ask, are you a smoker?

Likewise to people going "yeah but kids or chatty passengers (etc) are distracting too!" So? Kids are a whole different thing. You don't NEED to jabber away on cell phones while driving, but you do need to cart the kids off to wherever.

so its ok to allow certain distractions in a car :wacko: I wonder if there are any studies done on how many accidents have multiple people in them vs just a single driver?

And how are you supposed to ban (never mind enforce the ban on) chatty passengers? Legislate that all automobiles must have a sound proof drivers area so that they cant be distracted, sorta like how passengers cant talk to the pilot in an airplane :wacko:

fwiw I have no doubts that there are MANY things that are distractions and add to unsafe conditions on what are known as our roads and highways but what really gets me is when someone creates a study to support something they want supported....why cant kids drive at age 13? because its not safe...i really really would like to see the ages or average ages of people in accidents caused by cell phone use...i bet dollars to donuts as a majority it is "kids"

Edited by keggerz

I'll bet you $50 that you're wrong.