[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

One Person Sitting at a Table for 4

TDFFFreak

Well I've eaten at Baja Fresh before. Not bad, but now that I'm in Texas, the Tex-Mex is wayyyyyyyyy better than this stuff. As for Panera... had it before and it's good... only had it delivered to office though.

Way I look at it, if I'm gonna have a "quick" lunch, I'd rather not have to spend $12. So I'm either doing fast food, or I'm at a "sit-down" place.

So in a nutshell, I rarely eat at those "in-between" type of places.

I envy your Tex-Mex - any outlets here in SoCal?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to Hijack but along these lines a problem I run into in the city sometimes is when my friend and I are waiting to be seated and there is a table for 2 occupied but the people are done eating and are basically nursing their drinks and talking while people that are ready to eat are waiting. I think if its a busy place when you are done eating you should leave the table shortly after that. Finish up your drink , gather your stuff and move on in a considerate time frame

This is a tough one. I think everyone is entitled to enjoy a realitively relaxed lunch as most people only get an hour. I do think it's the right thing to be aware that people are waiting for a table at crowded times and not take that extra 10 minutes of lingering that you might do when it's not too crowded. Enjoy your lunch time, but be aware of your surroundngs. Rarely is this a problem though.

:D Any restaurant with servers most likely has a hostess that seats you. Am I wrong?

Edit: I don't eat out much, and when I do, it's unfortunately a quick stop at a fast food joint for lunch while out in the field for work. I don't eat at places like Panera or Baja Fresh.

For a few extra bucks you can get such better food (and healthier if you'd like) at a place like Panera or Corner Bakery. As a bonus, you need to walk out of the car and into the restaurant, hence getting a work out. :D

Boy, I am trying to think about that. Not a huge Mexican food fan anyway, but Tex Mex is a bit different. I think the focus here in LA is more about the hard core Mexican, not that watered down Americanized Mexican that is Tex Mex :wacko:

Edited by TDFFFreak

Doubt it.

For a few extra bucks you can get such better food (and healthier if you'd like) at a place like Panera or Corner Bakery. As a bonus, you need to walk out of the car and into the restaurant, hence getting a work out. :wacko:

Boy, I am trying to think about that. Not a huge Mexican food fan anyway, but Tex Mex is a bit different. I think the focus here in LA is more about the hard core Mexican, not that watered down Americanized Mexican that is Tex Mex :wacko:

Eh. I don't find the food at joints like that much better than fast food. :D Maybe I have a poor pallet or something.

And um, Tex Mex is Americanized Mexican food? :wacko: Hope you're :D here. Mexicans have been in the Texas area just as long - if not longer - than in California. So the "Mexican" here is probably MORE authentic than what it is in California. Sure, there are some "Texan" influences to the "Mexican" food here... but I personally wouldn't classify it as watering down slash Americanizing.

Not to Hijack but along these lines a problem I run into in the city sometimes is when my friend and I are waiting to be seated and there is a table for 2 occupied but the people are done eating and are basically nursing their drinks and talking while people that are ready to eat are waiting. I think if its a busy place when you are done eating you should leave the table shortly after that. Finish up your drink , gather your stuff and move on in a considerate time frame

I've done this - but if we're going to linger, I usually let the server know that if they need the table to come and tell us and we'll move to the bar.

Doubt it.

Eh. I don't find the food at joints like that much better than fast food. :D Maybe I have a poor pallet or something.

And um, Tex Mex is Americanized Mexican food? :wacko: Hope you're :D here. Mexicans have been in the Texas area just as long - if not longer - than in California. So the "Mexican" here is probably MORE authentic than what it is in California. Sure, there are some "Texan" influences to the "Mexican" food here... but I personally wouldn't classify it as watering down slash Americanizing.

I don't :wacko: too often, but there is was a little of that stinky stuff going on in that last post.

I like Tex Mex too, but really, I'm guessing that "Mexican" food came before "Tex Mex" kinda like the old testiment came before the new... :wacko: I'm no historian, but pretty sure the Hispanics (Spanish/Aztecs, whomever) had a big foot in California before us white folks came along. It may really be semantics actually.

Boy, you really have gone turncoat on California. Keep drinking that Texas coolaid. What's next, become a Cowboys fan? :wacko:

Edited by TDFFFreak

I don't see a problem with it, as long as it wasn't busy.

If it was busy, it could be argued that it would be a bit of a p.rickish move.

If the 4 seater was the only table left, I'd take it. Otherwise, I'd probably just grab the 2 seater in most cases unless I knew that there will be other seats coming up shortly or that 2 seater was the worst seat in the house. If I have my food, I don't think I'd pass up a table if it meant that I had sit there with food and no table to eat it at.

busy vs not busy is the key..... getting a table vs not getting one as well. also.... what skippy described is perfectly acceptble for someone not quite as svelt as the norm.

I don't :D too often, but there is was a little of that stinky stuff going on in that last post.

I like Tex Mex too, but really, I'm guessing that "Mexican" food came before "Tex Mex" kinda like the old testiment came before the new... :wacko: I'm no historian, but pretty sure the Hispanics (Spanish/Aztecs, whomever) had a big foot in California before us white folks came along. It may really be semantics actually.

Boy, you really have gone turncoat on California. Keep drinking that Texas coolaid. What's next, become a Cowboys fan? :wacko:

I think you're missing the point. Question: did the "Mexicans" settle in California before they settled in Texas? I actually don't know the answer, but I'm guessing the date is pretty close. See what I'm saying? And maybe I'm just clueless but I thought "Tex Mex" was simply Mexican food that was food that the Mexicans developed here :D

I will never be a cowboy fan. Ever.

Tex-Mex is a term for a type of American food which is used primarily in Texas and the Southwestern United States to describe a regional cuisine which blends food products available in the United States and the culinary creations of Mexican-Americans that are influenced by the cuisines of Mexico. A given Tex-Mex food may or may not be similar to Mexican cuisine, although it is common for all of these foods to be referred to as "Mexican food" in Texas, the United States and in some other countries. In many parts of the county outside of Texas this term is synonymous with Southwestern cuisine.[1][2][3]

"Tex-Mex" first entered the language as a nickname for the Texas-Mexican Railway, which was chartered in 1875.[4]

In the train schedules published in newspapers of the 1800s, the names of railroads were abbreviated. The Missouri Pacific was called the Mo. Pac., and the Texas-Mexican was abbreviated Tex. Mex. In the 1920s, the hyphenated form was used in American newspapers in reference to the railroad and to describe people of Mexican descent who were born in Texas.[5]

In the mission era, Spanish and Mexican Indian foods were combined in Texas as in other parts of the Northern Frontier of New Spain.[6]

This cuisine that would come to be called Tex-Mex actually originated with the Tejanos (Texans of Hispanic descent) as a hybrid of Spanish and native Mexican foods when Texas was part of New Spain and later Mexico.

From the South Texas region between San Antonio to Brownsville, this cuisine has had little variation and from earliest times has always been influenced by the cooking in the neighboring northern states of Mexico. The ranching culture of South Texas and Northern Mexico straddles both sides of the border. A taste for cabrito (kid goat), barbacoa (barbecued cow heads), carne seca (dried beef), and other products of cattle culture are common on both sides of the Rio Grande. In the twentieth century, Tex-Mex took on such Americanized elements as yellow cheese, as goods from the United States became cheap and readily available.

Diana Kennedy, an influential food authority, first delineated the differences between Mexican cuisine and Americanized Mexican food in her 1972 book The Cuisines of Mexico. The first use in print of "Tex-Mex" in reference to food occurred in the Mexico City News in 1973.

Award-winning Texas food writer Robb Walsh updated Kennedy and put her comments regarding Tex-Mex cooking into historical and sociopolitical perspective in The Tex-Mex Cookbook: A History in Recipes and Photos (New York: Broadway Books, 2004).

The ingredients used are common in Mexican cuisine, although ingredients unknown in Mexico are often added. Tex-Mex cuisine is characterized by its heavy use of meat (particularly beef), beans, and spices in addition to Mexican-style tortillas (maize or flour), fried or baked (most traditional Mexican cuisine is not so heavily starch-based as Tex-Mex). Texas-style chili con carne, crispy chalupas, chili con queso, chili gravy, and fajitas are all Tex-Mex inventions.[citation needed] Serving tortilla chips and a hot sauce or salsa as an appetizer is also an original Tex-Mex combination.[citation needed] Moreover, Tex-Mex has imported flavors from other spicy cuisines, such as the use of cumin (common in Indian food), but used in only a few authentic Mexican recipes.

Tex-Mex is a term for a type of American food which is used primarily in Texas and the Southwestern United States to describe a regional cuisine which blends food products available in the United States and the culinary creations of Mexican-Americans that are influenced by the cuisines of Mexico. A given Tex-Mex food may or may not be similar to Mexican cuisine, although it is common for all of these foods to be referred to as "Mexican food" in Texas, the United States and in some other countries. In many parts of the county outside of Texas this term is synonymous with Southwestern cuisine.[1][2][3]

"Tex-Mex" first entered the language as a nickname for the Texas-Mexican Railway, which was chartered in 1875.[4]

In the train schedules published in newspapers of the 1800s, the names of railroads were abbreviated. The Missouri Pacific was called the Mo. Pac., and the Texas-Mexican was abbreviated Tex. Mex. In the 1920s, the hyphenated form was used in American newspapers in reference to the railroad and to describe people of Mexican descent who were born in Texas.[5]

In the mission era, Spanish and Mexican Indian foods were combined in Texas as in other parts of the Northern Frontier of New Spain.[6]

This cuisine that would come to be called Tex-Mex actually originated with the Tejanos (Texans of Hispanic descent) as a hybrid of Spanish and native Mexican foods when Texas was part of New Spain and later Mexico.

From the South Texas region between San Antonio to Brownsville, this cuisine has had little variation and from earliest times has always been influenced by the cooking in the neighboring northern states of Mexico. The ranching culture of South Texas and Northern Mexico straddles both sides of the border. A taste for cabrito (kid goat), barbacoa (barbecued cow heads), carne seca (dried beef), and other products of cattle culture are common on both sides of the Rio Grande. In the twentieth century, Tex-Mex took on such Americanized elements as yellow cheese, as goods from the United States became cheap and readily available.

Diana Kennedy, an influential food authority, first delineated the differences between Mexican cuisine and Americanized Mexican food in her 1972 book The Cuisines of Mexico. The first use in print of "Tex-Mex" in reference to food occurred in the Mexico City News in 1973.

Award-winning Texas food writer Robb Walsh updated Kennedy and put her comments regarding Tex-Mex cooking into historical and sociopolitical perspective in The Tex-Mex Cookbook: A History in Recipes and Photos (New York: Broadway Books, 2004).

The ingredients used are common in Mexican cuisine, although ingredients unknown in Mexico are often added. Tex-Mex cuisine is characterized by its heavy use of meat (particularly beef), beans, and spices in addition to Mexican-style tortillas (maize or flour), fried or baked (most traditional Mexican cuisine is not so heavily starch-based as Tex-Mex). Texas-style chili con carne, crispy chalupas, chili con queso, chili gravy, and fajitas are all Tex-Mex inventions.[citation needed] Serving tortilla chips and a hot sauce or salsa as an appetizer is also an original Tex-Mex combination.[citation needed] Moreover, Tex-Mex has imported flavors from other spicy cuisines, such as the use of cumin (common in Indian food), but used in only a few authentic Mexican recipes.

I love this post. :D

The Tex-Mex places that I eat at do not use cheaper, Americanized elements like American cheese...

Eff no. With all the idiots on their cell phones (some on speakerphone), and other annoying types... this should be the last of anyone's worry. Most "two seaters" are very small. I ALWAYS have the newspaper with me and these tables are simply not big enough. Then again, I tend to eat lunch after the lunch rush, so it's never an issue.

Your are not refering to the folks who think the cell phone was just invented and the technology is like connecting two cans with strings so they yell in the phone :D ......are u?

Your are not refering to the folks who think the cell phone was just invented and the technology is like connecting two cans with strings so they yell in the phone :D ......are u?

There are those, yeah.... but then there's also the general contractor on his NexTel direct-connect beeping and talking back and forth on the speakerphone. That... is ridiculous.

Edit: I almost got the balls to ask this one idiot "how much do you pay for rent?" while he was NexTel'ing at a Burger King in Cali. When he - most likely - looked at me quizzically :wacko: ... I would have responded "well this IS YOUR office, right?". Anyways... never happened... :D

Edited by darin3

Tex-Mex is a term for a type of American food which is used primarily in Texas and the Southwestern United States to describe a regional cuisine which blends food products available in the United States and the culinary creations of Mexican-Americans that are influenced by the cuisines of Mexico.

that is the key right there. tex-mex is more tex than mex.

that is the key right there. tex-mex is more tex than mex.

:D I am believing wiki-definitions less and less these days.

I don't understand why this is so confusing. Texas was essentially Mexico back in the 1800's. Perhaps "Tex-Mex" is simply a regional (Mexican regional) version of Mexican food. I don't think it has much to do with Americanization (minus some stating that American cheese is used... which I can attest to.... as it is cheaper, and is sometimes used). Just my opinion.

Thank Bier. I'm still not sure which came first, the Mex or the Tex or the Spanish? :wacko:

In either case, I like both, both give me gas, and darin is now a Cowboys fan.

Mmmm, gas.

I will never... EVER... be a Cowchick fan. NEVER.

:D

I am not :wacko: about eating some good Tex-Mex for lunch tomorrow. :wacko:

I don't understand why this is so confusing. Texas was essentially Mexico back in the 1800's. Perhaps "Tex-Mex" is simply a regional (Mexican regional) version of Mexican food. I don't think it has much to do with Americanization (minus some stating that American cheese is used... which I can attest to.... as it is cheaper, and is sometimes used). Just my opinion.

Mmmm, gas.

I am not :D about eating some good Tex-Mex for lunch tomorrow. :wacko:

So Texas isn't rotting your football brain yet?

Mmmm, gas.

I am not :D about eating some good Tex-Mex for lunch tomorrow. :wacko:

it is a blending of cultures...... tex-mex is not traditional/classical mexican food. what we now know as chinese food is very americanized...getting very similar with mex food.... from the tex-mex influence.

it is a blending of cultures...... tex-mex is not traditional/classical mexican food. what we now know as chinese food is very americanized...getting very similar with mex food.... from the tex-mex influence.

So if we look back, was Tex Mex (just under a different name) around at the same time as Mexican food and could simply be boiled down to a regional cooking style?

mexican was around first.......

mexican was there before the spanish influence, but wa very regional (think of it as aztec, mayan, etc)... spain showed up and imposed it's influence (f'n sheep humpers)... mexican evolved into a spanish/mexican blend... then in the north we saw a merge of american and mexican.. you see this in a lot of countries that boarder each other.

mexican was around first.......

mexican was there before the spanish influence, but wa very regional (think of it as aztec, mayan, etc)... spain showed up and imposed it's influence (f'n sheep humpers)... mexican evolved into a spanish/mexican blend... then in the north we saw a merge of american and mexican.. you see this in a lot of countries that boarder each other.

That's what I thought. Could you now impart this wisdom on darin? :D:D