[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kevin Jones catching passes

Randall

Jones plans to put up a fight

Running back won't give in to Bell, says he expects to play season opener in Oakland.

Terry Foster and Krysten Oliphant / The Detroit News

No contact yet though.

ALLEN PARK -- Injured Lions running back Kevin Jones plans on being the starter Sept. 9 in the season opener at Oakland.

He took a step toward his goal by catching passes Thursday for the first time since injuring his left foot late last season.

Strength and conditioning coach Malcolm Blacken fired passes to Jones, who caught balls and made cuts against imaginary defenders.

"It was a good day," a smiling Jones said. "I felt good. The bottom line is, it was feeling better so I said, 'Let's do some reps.' We are going day by day."

Jones spends most of his time running sprints, riding a stationary bike and going through rehabilitation while teammates prepare for Thursday's exhibition opener against the Bengals at Ford Field. Jones underwent surgery shortly after injuring his foot Dec. 10 against Minnesota.

Jones was irked by comments from Tatum Bell, who said he expects to be the starter and go-to back for the Lions.

"I have to deal with competing for a job against him as a competitor," Jones said. "But when he says, 'It is mine,' that is when I have a problem. If I was 100 percent, it would not be a question. My goal is to come back and it (starting) won't be an issue. I am the better back and I will be the starter."

Jones was drafted in the first round in 2004, but has missed eight games in three years because of injuries. His best season was his rookie season, when he rushed for 1,133 yards. But he has run for 1,353 yards since. The Lions traded for Bell in the offseason as insurance.

Bell ran for 1,025 yards for the Broncos last season.

Jones said his relationship with Bell is cordial, but he is ready to fight for his job.

"If I weren't injured, he wouldn't even be here," Jones said.

This is a guy who if you can get later in the draft that can win you a championship if he gets on the field game 1, he's going to catch a lot of passes.

This is a guy who if you can get later in the draft that can win you a championship if he gets on the field game 1, he's going to catch a lot of passes.

Totally agree. Jones is one of those guys that you will most likely be able to get late that can "save" you. Not comparing him to MJD, but MJD saved me last year when I made Dom Davis my first RB pick (had picked Steve Smith with the 1.13). As we know, Davis never even saw the field.

If you can get Jones on your roster late in the game, and you don't have to rely on him as a RB1 or a RB2, then he may be able to help you. But I'm not a believer at all this season. I can see him coming out strong and putting on a brave face (trying to save his starting job) and probably actually producing really well... for a week or two. This linsfranc injury is going to haunt him this year guys. If you put yourself in a position where you NEED for Kevin Jones to produce each week, then he is going to end up killing you.

If you can get Jones on your roster late in the game, and you don't have to rely on him as a RB1 or a RB2, then he may be able to help you. But I'm not a believer at all this season. I can see him coming out strong and putting on a brave face (trying to save his starting job) and probably actually producing really well... for a week or two. This linsfranc injury is going to haunt him this year guys. If you put yourself in a position where you NEED for Kevin Jones to produce each week, then he is going to end up killing you.

In the Ladder leagues he is going in round 6. I picked him to help week 6 or later. He needs to wait until he is healthy even if it's week 8.

In a reception points league, KJ is definitely worth a flyer once you have your starting RBs. He was looking great last year in fantasy terms until of course he was injured again. He was averaging 5.5 catches per game and 48 receving yards - that's nice with one point per catch, it's like a free TD per game.

What was the time table for his injury? I heard he was ahead of schedule. I'm impressed with his fighting spirit and competitive nature. The man doesn't think he should be pushed aside for tinker Bell and rightfully so. Martz is not one to use RBBC so who ever starts will put up good numbers. I'll be watching this one very closely during the pre-season. Thanks for the update Randall.