[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kevin Jones

Randall

Lions debating what to do with Jones

by Tom Kowalski

Monday August 27, 2007, 12:06 AM

Jeff Schrier/Saginaw News

Running back Kevin Jones works out on a machine at Lions practice earlier this month.

ALLEN PARK -- The battle over Kevin Jones will begin to brew with more intensity now.

Jones, the Detroit Lions running back, is currently on the Physically Unable to Perform list and the club has until Sept. 1 to make a big decision - either activate him to the roster or keep him on PUP where he'll miss the first five games of the season.

There are differing viewpoints within the organization: the offensive coaching staff -- desperate to get their running game cranked up -- want Jones back as soon as possible while the front office wants to be more cautious.

Neither side is going to expose Jones to any unnecessary risk, but there are valid points on both sides of this issue.

Jones is recovering from Lisfranc surgery on his left foot and Jones said Saturday that he expects to be re-examined Dr. Richard Anderson, who performed the surgery, within the next week or so. Even if Jones is medically cleared to play, there still is a huge unknown concerning the injury.

While Jones looks good at this point running and cutting, there's a big difference between cutting when you're anticipating it and cutting when you're in full pads, getting hit, spinning and bouncing off defenders and putting unnatural torque on the foot. No one knows if Jones' foot is going to hold up until he actually goes through that process.

Because of the league rules regarding the PUP list, however, the Lions can't put Jones in pads -- not even in practice -- until he's moved to the active roster. The reason the front office is hesitant to do that is because, while Jones is on PUP, he does not count against the active roster. If he's activated and suffers even a minor setback, he could be sidelined for several weeks and Jones will be taking up a valuable spot on the roster -- which would leave one position short-manned.

Right now, Jones is only 8½ months removed from his surgery and the front office wants to be cautious and not let temptation sway their decision.

However, as the regular season draws closer -- and Detroit's running attack still is struggling -- the anxiety level of the coaching staff is rising sharply.

Here's the crux of the debate concerning Jones: Even the most optimistic scenario has Jones missing one or two games to start the season. The coaches believe, though, that having Jones available for those two or three -- or maybe even four -- extra games could make the difference in the Lions' quest to make the playoffs.

When the Lions traded for Tatum Bell in the offseason, it was clear that he was considered an insurance policy and would supply good depth to the running back position. The plan all along still was to get Jones back in the starting lineup as soon as possible.

The reason Jones is so valuable is because he not only has the speed and receiving ability to be effective in the spread formations, but he can run with power out of Detroit's base offense and that's vital to coordinator Mike Martz.

While Martz always is going to think pass first, he knows that he has to have a power running threat to get what he wants. If the Lions can force a defense into putting eight men in the box, that means the opponent will have to put single coverage on at least one -- if not both -- outside receivers. Martz can envision Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson running deep downfield, giving the poor free safety a split second to pick his poison.

Martz needs versatility in his offense because each game will bring a different matchup challenge and he believes Jones gives him the best option out of the backfield.

Again, no one wants to put Jones in harm's way, but the regular season is rapidly approaching and the behind-the-scenes debate is starting to heat up.

When the Lions traded for Tatum Bell in the offseason, it was clear that he was considered an insurance policy and would supply good depth to the running back position. The plan all along still was to get Jones back in the starting lineup as soon as possible.

Many have been touting Tatum as someone that will supplant KJ. Tatum is very brittle and I always cringed when many suggested he's in for a huge season behind a Detroit OL.

KJ is their best RB, injury or no injury. As long as they don't rush him back, I don't see any reason that KJ can't return to form.

Many have been touting Tatum as someone that will supplant KJ. Tatum is very brittle and I always cringed when many suggested he's in for a huge season behind a Detroit OL.

KJ is their best RB, injury or no injury. As long as they don't rush him back, I don't see any reason that KJ can't return to form.

No matter what this is good news as to whether he will be healthy enough to play this year.they would not be debating on letting him come back to start the season off if he was not looking good.

That being said, as a Kevin Jones owner in a couple leagues I hope they sit him the 1st 6 games of the year. he is injury prone enough without them rushing him back from such a serious injury.

I too think they should put him on PUP to be safe.

This I don't understand-Why can't he even practice in pads if a doctor wants to test his health?

Because of the league rules regarding the PUP list, however, the Lions can't put Jones in pads -- not even in practice -- until he's moved to the active roster. The reason the front office is hesitant to do that is because, while Jones is on PUP, he does not count against the active roster. If he's activated and suffers even a minor setback, he could be sidelined for several weeks and Jones will be taking up a valuable spot on the roster -- which would leave one position short-manned.

As a Bell owner, I hope they rush Jones in there and his foot disconnects from his ankle.

Classy.

As a Lions fan, I hope KJ can stay on the field. A month or so ago, most folks in the area assumed KJ would be on the PUP list. I hope that he comes back when he is ready to be a full-time contributor without risking his health. KJ is the type of runner who needs to be able to cut. If there's any chance in re-injuring himself, I hope the Lions give him the extra time. If it's as healed as it can be, let's get some wins!

Classy.

As a Lions fan, I hope KJ can stay on the field. A month or so ago, most folks in the area assumed KJ would be on the PUP list. I hope that he comes back when he is ready to be a full-time contributor without risking his health. KJ is the type of runner who needs to be able to cut. If there's any chance in re-injuring himself, I hope the Lions give him the extra time. If it's as healed as it can be, let's get some wins!

Well said. Anyone who actively roots for an injury in FF just to better his/her team is a complete moran in my book.

I would think that this conversation wouldn't even be taking place if he was feeling good, getting valuable camp work, etc. But the reality is Jones is not ready to contribute. If the Lions are wise, he will sit out at least until Week 3 or 5, if not the full 6.

I would not expect him to be anything more than a change of pace back until after the midway point and then depending on the Lions' playoffs hopes things will start to get interesting.

I would think that this conversation wouldn't even be taking place if he was feeling good, getting valuable camp work, etc. But the reality is Jones is not ready to contribute. If the Lions are wise, he will sit out at least until Week 3 or 5, if not the full 6.

I would not expect him to be anything more than a change of pace back until after the midway point and then depending on the Lions' playoffs hopes things will start to get interesting.

Sorry but he hasn't gotten to the point of cutting hard in his rehab yet.

If he is on PUP he loses 5 games because of the Lions bye this year.

I wasn't expecting him back for a significant portion of the season, perhaps all of it. The fact that he's in shape and willing to play says a lot to me.

Well said. Anyone who actively roots for an injury in FF just to better his/her team is a complete moran in my book.

Anyone who actively gambles in FF and pretends that they are not doing cartwheels in the back yard about his team winning due to a timely injury to a rival's player is a moran in my book.

To further this point, anyone who pretends that they do not agree with the above statement is not being honest with themselves and should go back to being a male cheerleader.

Anyone who actively gambles in FF and pretends that they are not doing cartwheels in the back yard about his team winning due to a timely injury to a rival's player is a moran in my book.

To further this point, anyone who pretends that they do not agree with the above statement is not being honest with themselves and should go back to being a male cheerleader.

BullSega!

Gambles? This is gambling? :D

Dude, get yourself a reality check. If you think playing FF is real gambling then you have issues. Further, this injury is not timely, it's well documented over many months. Do yourself a favor and get out once in a while before you start tossing around big words you don't understand -- like "moran" -- around.

I guess I actively "gamble" on Fantasy Football...

I'm a packer fan...

And I want Kevin Jones to be 100%

I don't want anyone, even Randy Moss to get hurt, despite what I may tell Sleeping King.

I guess I should be a male cheerleader now...

Or maybe because I'm not an a$sclown... :D

Gambles? This is gambling? :D

Dude, get yourself a reality check. If you think playing FF is real gambling then you have issues. Further, this injury is not timely, it's well documented over many months. Do yourself a favor and get out once in a while before you start tossing around big words you don't understand -- like "moran" -- around.

:D

We also need to remember that Warrick Dunn suffered the same injury a few years back and was ready to go week 1. Kevin Jones had the surgery the same week that his injury took place. I don't think that he'll be pupped, I think we'll see him in week 2 or 3...

I think that was the year Warrick Dunn was on the cover of Cat Fancy.