[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anybody ever heard of the Jena 6?

KSUChiefsTarheelFan

So I came across this not too long ago, when a relative of mine in Louisiana sent me a clip. It disturbs me that this is still happening in our country. After doing some research, I found more cases similar to this one. Clips of those are soon to come. Watch them in order from first to last...

Jena 6 pt 1

Jena 6 pt 2

Jena 6 pt 3

PS- It's safe for work. U will need a few minutes though

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is safe for work... I mean if those kids go to prison, we will be paying their way. I'm sure stuff like the overcrowding of prisons isn't a major concern of most. Especially since they are overcrowded due to DA's such as the one who charged these teens, dead set on something to prove. Does Durham DA Nifong ring a bell? And that story was played ON EVERY NEWS STATION FOR A YEAR!

I don't think any of this suprises anyone. there is people of all races who are prejudice and that will continue to be how it is.

That being said...what many whites get mad about is you only see the racism from 1 side of the fence and not both.

They don't show Detroit schools where white kids are forced to drop out because of the racism of some black students.they don't show some of beatings some of these kids take. they don't show what the white kids have to put up on daily basis there. they don't show on TV what white kids have to put up with the week after roots is shown on TV.

As someone who went to all black schools I can tell you. if you were what blacks called " a rock n roller" you got jumped on a regular basis. you had to leave out of back doors(if your parents made you go to school) at school and start off running home. I can think of about 4 or 5 other whites besides myself who mostly made it through easy and that was because of sports and no other reason.

There is alot of ignorance out there by all races. and this Jena 6(which is the 1st I have heard of it) is very sad and very tragic.maybe they will get enough press to help these kids out(if they are truely innocent). but the invisibility by the press of black racism only hurts the cause.

I take my son for haircuts in a barber shop in East Saint Louis, and invariably the talk turns to questioning me in terms of race. (In case you, the reader do not know, I am lily white, my son black.) It is amazing to the black folks there that we don't really think about racism or even discuss it much in our culture. It is a major topic of conversation in the black community. They can sometimes be convinced that any slight or negative that happens in thier lives can be attributed to the color of thier skin. Driving while Black, your sin is your skin, etc. Things like this show why that can be.

It is a worry of mine that as my son grows into his teenage years, he will run into such bias as this. He has white friends, white parents, is growing up in an upper middle class family. He may not be prepared for the reality that folks will judge him differently solely based on his race. Although, he already gets it from the black kids at school. He is both too dark and too light. His skin is dark (think Marshall Faulk), so the black kids at school last year took to calling him monkey, burnt, etc. BUT a by-product of living with us is he speaks well, dresses well and acts "white". So he gets blasted for that, too.

It's kinda crazy that he is exposed to MUCH more racism for people of color than any white person he has come across. Maybe he hasn't grown old enough to get pulled over from being in the wrong neighborhood, or driving the wrong car. Or stopped because he "fit the description of the perpetrator". I don't know.

I don't think any of this suprises anyone. there is people of all races who are prejudice and that will continue to be how it is.

That being said...what many whites get mad about is you only see the racism from 1 side of the fence and not both.

They don't show Detroit schools where white kids are forced to drop out because of the racism of some black students.they don't show some of beatings some of these kids take. they don't show what the white kids have to put up on daily basis there. they don't show on TV what white kids have to put up with the week after roots is shown on TV.

As someone who went to all black schools I can tell you. if you were what blacks called " a rock n roller" you got jumped on a regular basis. you had to leave out of back doors(if your parents made you go to school) at school and start off running home. I can think of about 4 or 5 other whites besides myself who mostly made it through easy and that was because of sports and no other reason.

There is alot of ignorance out there by all races. and this Jena 6(which is the 1st I have heard of it) is very sad and very tragic.maybe they will get enough press to help these kids out(if they are truely innocent). but the invisibility by the press of black racism only hurts the cause.

::beatschest:

WHITE POWER!

I am bi-racial...or mixed for lack of a better term. I get it from both sides. I was in an all white private school all of my life, and got teased by the white kids. And when I saw my black friends that went to the public school, I got teased for being a basicly a sell out. I understand alot from both sides. I do get tired of some of my black friends saying that the white man is holding them down. It's just a cop out. But at times, when is right there is front of everybodies face, then it's written off as anything but racial.

I googled Jena six and came across this on Wikipedia

On June 26, 2007, the first day of trial for defendant Mychal Bell, Walters suddenly agreed to reduce the charges for Bell to aggravated second-degree battery and conspiracy to commit aggravated second-degree battery.[9] A charge of aggravated battery requires the use of a "deadly weapon". Walters thus argued that the tennis shoes that Bell was wearing and used to kick Barker were deadly weapons, an argument with which the all-white jury agreed. Bell was found guilty and will face the possibility of up to 22 years in prison when he is sentenced on September 20, 2007.

:D

I am bi-racial...or mixed for lack of a better term. I get it from both sides. I was in an all white private school all of my life, and got teased by the white kids. And when I saw my black friends that went to the public school, I got teased for being a basicly a sell out.

You are someone who truly understands racism more than any of us.I hope you held your ground and your head up high through all the ignorance.