[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Antonio Gates

HowboutthemCowboys

Just finishing up an non-TE mandatory league draft and he was the 14th receiver taken at the 4.05 spot. He went before guys like Javon Walker, Deion Branch, Mark Clayton and Donald Driver (shouldn't have). I think this is about right. If he performs then you can pretty much count on around 80/1000/9.

If it is a non mandatory TE league than I would let someone else take him to high. you can get a slightly lesser productive WR instead and his matchups will be easier to evaluate than a TE's.

Matchup? Wouldn't Gates be a guaranteed starter every week, no matter what the matchup?

Anyways, I think his value will be even higher than it was last year.

1) Rivers will be more developed as a QB

2) LT will still be amazing, but won't repeat last year. This will give a larger opportunity for passing plays.

3) Marty out, Norv in. While Turner isn't quite Mike Martz, he will be more bullish with passing plays than it has been in the past few years.

4) Vincent Jackson will be a MUCH better #1 this year than McCardell was last year. This will help take pressure off Gates.

To answer your question, he has been going around number a 15-20 wideout in non-TE required leagues. On the more valuable side in PPR leagues.

Edited by blueapple

If it is a non mandatory TE league than I would let someone else take him to high. you can get a slightly lesser productive WR instead and his matchups will be easier to evaluate than a TE's.

TEs are more consistent scorers than wideouts. Even if he doesn't score a TD one week, he'll be sure to at least have a few grabs and some yardage, unlike good receivers who commonly have games mixed in where they only have one or 2 receptions the entire game.

I have Gates having a better year than Huddle projections. With Norv Turner in town Gates will be called on less to block and more to be involved with making plays for the offense. Norv always accentuates his skill players(see F Gore), and Marty was without question holding Gates back. We will all see what Gates is really about. He will be lined up in the slot and wide more than he will be in a three point, you can bank it, it wont be close. They have blockers in SD, they dont need Gates in there doing it. Why else would they let McCardell and the rest of the WR leave? He will explode with Norv's play calling. You will see more multi back sets and less of the 2 TE look. He will be mismatched on LB and nicklebacks all year, with a pretty good schedule to boot. I look for 88/1100/13, and without all that blocking of 300 lbs guys he used to have to do under Marty, a more fresh Gates in time for Fantasy Playoffs, and isnt that what its all about? After all, how many TD's would Ocho Cinco and M Harrison have if they had Marty making them block D Freeney and other D lineman for most of the season? And Gates STILL had 10+ TD's a season.