[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Week 1 Gamblers (Anonymous) Thread

Steeltown Dre

maybe you shouldn't listen to me afterall...

somehow I pulled out Parlays and Browns vs Steelers.....and then you being a Steelers fan...

yeah I'm a big retard...

:D

It's all good dude :D

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read somewhere that last years week one totals were like 3-11 over the total number. 3 overs and 11 unders, any truth to this?

That trend wouldn't shock me. Betting public loves to play the overs in the hope of high-scoring games. Vegas can artifically push the line higher, based on people's ill-conceived notion's. I think they have done this with this week's Philly/GB line...more realistic number would be 38-39.

Also, you may want to check out a past thread from Dre regarding O/U in the preseason. Heavy trend was to the under. In my mind, Week 1 is in some ways an extention of the preseason in that the public really knows very little about the true quality of the teams on field. So for lack of anything else, they bet the over, hoping for a fun game to watch. Kind of like all the people that took the over last night, not really understanding that the Colts defense is a lot better than anyone expected, and the Saints offense not as good as advertised...regardless, Vegas took heavy money on the over and won big.

Pathetic reasoning, but true.

Just a side note on the Pit game. No, zero, zilch first year head coach for the Steelers have won their first game in Cleveland.

With that being said I still love the Steelers -4.5

Edited by SLAYER

Here are my first two bets of the season.... By "teasing" the bet (which means I choose 2 games but have to be right on both to win) the line moves 6 points in my favor. I have had the best luck with these kind of bets ! I usually like the home favorites, but this week I going with 3 road teams DEN, KC, and PIT vs what were some pretty bad teams last year.

2 Team Teaser

Denver Broncos +3 Su

Competitor: Buffalo Bills

Jacksonville Jaguars -1

Competitor: Tennessee Titans

-----------------------------------------------------

2 Team Teaser

Kansas City Chiefs +9

Competitor: Houston Texans

Pittsburgh Steelers +½

Competitor: Cleveland Browns

I read somewhere that last years week one totals were like 3-11 over the total number. 3 overs and 11 unders, any truth to this?

I looked this up earlier, but didn't post on it, because yes, you are close to being correct, but it's misleading.

In 2006 Unders went 12-4.

But, you have to look at it over time.

2005 Unders went 9-7. Same for 2004 and 2003. But in 2002, Unders went 4-12.

Since 2000, the first week Unders have gone 64-47 (58%).

The rest of the weeks (2-17) Unders have gone 51%.

So yes, unders may go "off" a little more on average in the 1st week, but I'd be very suprised if it was ANYTHING like last year's 75%. Expect more like prior years, of 9-7, if you are expecting an "average" turnout.

Be careful on these games guys. Not saying they'll lose, he's got so many he'll win a few, the question is, which ones? Brandon Lang's plays:

Brandon Lang

SUNDAY

20 DIME

CHARGERS

10 DIME

Patriots

Steelers

Eagles

5 DIME

Vikings

Raiders

Buffalo

I got four bets in the books:

Buffalo +3

Philly -3

Pitt -5

Philly/GB UNDER 42

GL to all!

I like a few of those.

Like Buf. I made a couple of smaller plays today. I'm not much of an "action guy" - I play when I see an advantage and I play to win $. I can watch games without money on the line and enjoy them and most importantly - study and learn from them.

As to my plays: small play on Hou, small play on Buf. Don't forget about the fade on the SB loser - 0-10 ATS now for the last 10 years - I checked the last 3 and they all lost, so not sure about years prior. That would be a play on SD. Other favs that could cover but I have not made plays on: Pitt and Sea. Other dogs that may cover: GB, NYJ

Again, I went light this week - not in love w/ any particular play this week. Good luck guys. If you rolled high, hope you get the $$!

2 Team Teaser

Denver Broncos +3 Su

Competitor: Buffalo Bills

Jacksonville Jaguars -1

Competitor: Tennessee Titans

-----------------------------------------------------

2 Team Teaser

Kansas City Chiefs +9

Competitor: Houston Texans

Pittsburgh Steelers +½

Competitor: Cleveland Browns

Why teasers should never be played....

oh, and that PHI/GB under was a gimme....hope you boys jumped on!

I'm on:

Texans -3

Pitts -5

Stl -1.5

Det +2

3 out of 4. Plus 2 units. Yes, I got paid to sit on my ass today. That is what I call a good day. :D