[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Straight Up Giddy about AP

stevenmann

Could it have been any better yesterday? I heard all the pre -game talk about splitting carries. I like many others didn't have the courage to start him. Like other AP owners I wanted to see how the carries were divided and how the situations were allocated. All I really wanted was for him to prove himself worthy of 20 carries minimum per game. Boy did he ever have an impressive debut. Yes the ATL D was soft. BUT WOW!!!! I am not sure how long Taylor is out for,but if I am on the Min coaching staff I think we have a few things to discuss. Going into the game I figured teh split would be 60-40 Taylor. I think (and hope) that Taylor will be lucky to get 40%. How can you keepthis kid off the field? Thoughts?

I was lucky enough, after serious self debate, to start AP and I am very thankful. I am worried though that even after that awe inspiring performance that Minnesota will continue to split carries once Taylor is back. Who would have thought that going into the week with Steven Jackson and AP I would have gotten more production out of AP. Thank you fantasy Gods. Do the right thing Minnesota!

I had a shot at AP in the 7th round of my 10 team local and for some reason thought I could get him in the 8th. Took M. Lynch instead. My thought process should have been opposite. My definate one mistake of that draft. AP went two picks later. Still will have league high score this week but wish I had AP at this point.

They both looked better than I expected.... Lynch and AP are gonna put up 1000 yard seasons.. Yesterday I started Jamal over AP... NEVER AGAIN! (insert organ music) I AM BELIEVER NOW!!!!

Yeah..Lynch took me more by suprise after how he looked in the preseason and playing the Broncos. but as a Lynch owner in a couple leagues I was happy to see it.

No Doubt, always great to see your "rook with upside" show and prove in week 1. Lynch, Calvin and AP were all really nice yesterday. How long is it till Brady Quinn joins the club? As a Jamal Owner (thats sounds terrible, look away... Yes I drafted Jamal) I hope its next week.

Yeah..Lynch took me more by suprise after how he looked in the preseason and playing the Broncos. but as a Lynch owner in a couple leagues I was happy to see it.

yup- I am str8 loving Lynch - grinded out a nice day in game 1 vs a tough D - dude is gonna have a real nice year. Great all around back.

I think he will end up with better numbers than AP -

AP is a stud tho and think he will end up carrying the load fairly soon.

The injury is what just cost Taylor his job. now everyone has seen what AP can do and IMO Taylor will be good to get 10 carries in a game when he comes back.

I disagree with this take. Peterson's health will always be in the game plan considerations of the Purple, at least early on. Childress has maintained the split and fresh angle for both backs, and Taylor has looked great both in preseason and on his limited work yesterday pre-injury. In my opinion, to try to make Peterson a full time back with Taylor being so effective is not smart. Maybe after proving his mettle, yes, but it makes no sense to me to hang him out there full time. The kid goes full tilt on every play, and RB's take too much punishment. Games coming up include Green Bay's good defense (twice), The Bears, San Diego, Philly and Dallas - so health should be a priority.

There have been plenty of hints that both backs will be on the field from time to time, which also makes sense considering they like to run a two TE set from time to time.

I disagree with this take. Peterson's health will always be in the game plan considerations of the Purple, at least early on. Childress has maintained the split and fresh angle for both backs, and Taylor has looked great both in preseason and on his limited work yesterday pre-injury. In my opinion, to try to make Peterson a full time back with Taylor being so effective is not smart. Maybe after proving his mettle, yes, but it makes no sense to me to hang him out there full time. The kid goes full tilt on every play, and RB's take too much punishment. Games coming up include Green Bay's good defense (twice), The Bears, San Diego, Philly and Dallas - so health should be a priority.

There have been plenty of hints that both backs will be on the field from time to time, which also makes sense considering they like to run a two TE set from time to time.

I totally understand and respect this line of thinking. I just think Peterson is showing he is just to good to take off the field. the Vikes want to win and having Peterson in as much as possible increases those chances IMO.

Taylor, when healthy, is also pretty good. He'll have his place in the offense I'm sure. The Vikings would be crazy not to use him to some extent IMO. I don't think we can say 100% for sure what will happen, but AP sure looks good right now.

:D

He missed one game last year. That cost him his job? :D

Little different. There was no AP on the team last season.

Look, here is the bottom line. Just see them play and you know AP is better than Taylor period. NOW with that said I don't know what Minny will do in terms of the split. I will say it seems very difficult to not give AP 20 carries a game. That O needs big plays to survive, and he is BY FAR their main threat in that regard. Should be interesting to see what they do when Taylor is healthy, which may be this week, who knows.

I'm a Peterson fan, the guy is from about 40 miles from my hometown, and I watched when he was in high school, and and when he was at OU (I'm a huge Longhorn fan so I watched most of the OU games as well). AD is real good, his only knock is that he is injury prone. All that being said, lets not get ahead of ourselves. He was playing at home on a fast track against a terrible team defense. The huddle had ATL DEF ranked 23rd, on top of that, Coleman arguably their best DL did not play. AD has a great career ahead of him, but let's wait until he puts up some numbers against a real defense before we anoint him the 2nd coming of LT2.

I'm a Peterson fan, the guy is from about 40 miles from my hometown, and I watched when he was in high school, and and when he was at OU (I'm a huge Longhorn fan so I watched most of the OU games as well). AD is real good, his only knock is that he is injury prone. All that being said, lets not get ahead of ourselves. He was playing at home on a fast track against a terrible team defense. The huddle had ATL DEF ranked 23rd, on top of that, Coleman arguably their best DL did not play. AD has a great career ahead of him, but let's wait until he puts up some numbers against a real defense before we anoint him the 2nd coming of LT2.

I aint saying he is better than Tomlinson. just Taylor.

AD's injury history is a bit overblown. He's had some ticky tack injuries but OU used him heavily.

He had a high ankle sprain 2 years ago and a fluke-y busted collar bone about a year ago.

That's actually pretty durable for an RB that's been used so heavily at OU. He has less of an injury history than Gore, Addai, and Edge... as examples.

This is why you never assume anything is logical.

Coach Brad Childress said Monday that RB Chester Taylor will continue to start if healthy, but his status for Week 2 is uncertain because of an oblique contusion suffered Sunday.

(Updated 9/11/2007)

IMPACT

"Luckily, I don't deal in fan polls," Childress said. "Otherwise, I'd invite them all in to run a meeting I'm going to go through here in about 20 minutes. That's what sells your newspapers. You can have those polls that they check those dots and percentage it up." We're not sure what that means, but it's going to be tough to keep Adrian Peterson off the field after his performance in Week 1.