[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The NFC

coachharry

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference is Dallas, unlike New England for the past 6 years, actually have to show up and play hard on the 6 weeks they play inside of their division instead of getting a bye.

This was always my problem with the 49ers of old..Not taking anything away from them because they were loaded with talent (Montana, Rice, Craig, etc) but they went relatively unscathed through the regular season almost every year..Meantime Dallas was having NFC east wars

The difference is Dallas, unlike New England for the past 6 years, actually have to show up and play hard on the 6 weeks they play inside of their division instead of getting a bye.

This was always my problem with the 49ers of old..Not taking anything away from them because they were loaded with talent (Montana, Rice, Craig, etc) but they went relatively unscathed through the regular season almost every year..Meantime Dallas was having NFC east wars

The claim is nonsense, anyways. Since 2001 there has been at least one other playoff contender in the AFC East

AFC East since 2001:

Pats 11-5*

Dolphins 11-5*

Jets 10-6*

2002 change to 4 team divisions

Jets 9-7*

Dolphins 9-7

Pats 9-7

Bills 8-8

Pats 14-2*

Dolphins 10-6

Pats 14-2*

Jets 10-6*

Bills 9-7

Pats 10-6*

Dolphins 9-7

Pats 12-4 *

Jets 10-6*

NFC East Since 2001:

Philly 11-5*

Redskins 8-8

2002* change to 4 team divisions

Philly 12-4*

Philly 12-4*

Cowboys 10-6*

Philly 13-3

Giants 11-5*

Redskins 10-6*

Cowboys 9-7

Philly 10-6*

Cowboys 9-7*

Giants 8-8*

*Made playoffs

Which division looks more competitive? :D I'd say the AFC East.

A little fact check always helps :D

Edited by Caveman_Nick

The claim is nonsense, anyways. Since 2001 there has been at least one other playoff contender in the AFC East

AFC East since 2001:

Pats 11-5*

Dolphins 11-5*

Jets 10-6*

Jets 9-7*

Dolphins 9-7

Pats 9-7

Bills 8-8

Pats 14-2*

Dolphins 10-6

Pats 14-2*

Jets 10-6*

Bills 9-7

Pats 10-6*

Dolphins 9-7

Pats 12-4 *

Jets 10-6*

NFC East Since 2001:

Philly 11-5*

Redskins 8-8

Philly 12-4*

Philly 12-4*

Cowboys 10-6*

Philly 13-3

Giants 11-5*

Redskins 10-6*

Cowboys 9-7

Philly 10-6*

Cowboys 9-7*

Giants 8-8*

*Made playoffs

Montana was on the 49ers in 2001 ? Tim made the post about NE..My post was about the 49ers of the 80s and even the Steve Young 49ers come to think of it..

Montana was on the 49ers in 2001 ? Tim made the post about NE..My post was about the 49ers of the 80s and even the Steve Young 49ers come to think of it..

It seemed like you were agreeing with him by drawing a correllation to another team. I figured it was easier to quote you in my debunk than go searching for Tim's post... :D

:D

Edited by Caveman_Nick

It seemed like you were agreeing with him by drawing a correllation to another team. I figured it was easier to quote you in my debunk than go searching for Tim's post... :D

:D

Understood..Good day to you Sir..

AFC East since 2001:

Pats 11-5*

Dolphins 11-5*

Jets 10-6*

Jets 9-7*

Dolphins 9-7

Pats 9-7

Bills 8-8

Pats 14-2*

Dolphins 10-6

Pats 14-2*

Jets 10-6*

Bills 9-7

Pats 10-6*

Dolphins 9-7

Pats 12-4 *

Jets 10-6*

NFC East Since 2001:

Philly 11-5*

Redskins 8-8

Philly 12-4*

Philly 12-4*

Cowboys 10-6*

Philly 13-3

Giants 11-5*

Redskins 10-6*

Cowboys 9-7

Philly 10-6*

Cowboys 9-7*

Giants 8-8*

*Made playoffs

This is 2007, and the Jets, Bills and Phins all suck. Id be surprised if any is over 500, and that is with them getting to play each other twice. The worst team in the NFC East, is the 2nd best in the AFC East.

This is 2007, and the Jets, Bills and Phins all suck. Id be surprised if any is over 500, and that is with them getting to play each other twice. The worst team in the NFC East, is the 2nd best in the AFC East.

I wasn't responding to anything anyone said about 2007. TimC's comment was about 2001-2006. I was just putting the correct history out there.

:D So we agree the Pats have a sh*tty schedule.

They have some relatively easy games on their schedule...although I generally consider division games to be 'tougher' than the division opponent's records. For all teams and all divisions.

You also have to recognize that the Pats have a ton of very tough games on their schedule, like Pit, Indy, Dallas, SD, Philly, Bal. Cincy should not be a walkover, and Washington seems to have turned the corner.

I think their schedule has some soft spots and some rock 'ard spots. Just like everyone else's schedule. I certainly don't think it's easier than Dallas' schedule, if that's what you are implying. Cake walks against STL, NYG x2, Min, Car, NYJ, BUF, the Lions. I mean, isn't that the same thing?

I seriously try not to put too much stock in the schedule until the game comes to town. SD could have been viewed as a 'tough' game for the Pats, but they were not prepared well and didn;t play well. Same thing could be said about the Dallas Bears game.

It's all relative.

Okay, am I going out on a limb with this? Am I looking at this at too high of a level and not breaking it down into more tangible elements of the CHI/DAL game (probably, I'll never make a good analyst)?

The Bears D had injuries that sidelined significant players. Briggs did not play in the second half, Vasher left the field around mid-third quarter and Harris had to leave around mid-fourth quarter.

The time of possession for the Bears was only about 8:22 during the last half of the game (about 7:16 if you leave out the final 1:06 of the game that the Bears had possession) I have to think the Bears D was getting pretty gassed. Wrecks certainly didn't help matters by cutting two series very short by throwing picks.

I'm not making excuses for the Bears, but I'm trying to put this game into perspective. As others have said, the Bears D plan didn't make the necessary adjustments in the second half and let things happen over and over. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. If so, someone can bitch-slap some sense back into me.

After three weeks, how can people say that the Cowboys are better than the Patriots (or vice-versa)? I don't think we will really know until they both meet on the field. How will DAL cover Randy Moss? Will they be able to bring the heat against Brady? How will DAL exploit the weaknesses in NE D?

I also hate to admit this, but I'm also wondering how Romo, hell, the Cowboys for that matter, would handle the pressure of being down one or two scores in the waning minutes of a game? Does Romo make the opposing team say "Crap, we left a minute on the clock for Romo to win the game"?

Of course, there are two more games to play before the Cowboys meet the Patriots. I feel very, very good about the Cowboys chances over the next couple of weeks, but "any given Sunday" and all that jazz.

Meh, FWIW...

After three weeks, how can people say that the Cowboys are better than the Patriots (or vice-versa)? I don't think we will really know until they both meet on the field. How will DAL cover Randy Moss? Will they be able to bring the heat against Brady? How will DAL exploit the weaknesses in NE D?

Too many people hang on the whole AFC > NFC mantra. That's why they say certain teams are better than others.

I think a 3-0 team is exactly that. It's silly to try to take anything away from one or the other because of their schedule. This isn't college ball.

Another big test will be to see if either the Boys or Pats trip over easy opponents this weekend. Both games should be winnable, although as a Boys fan I have all too often been burned by the "easy win" teams. I don't think the Pats trip up on MNF though. Hopefully they'll both still be undefeated when they finally get to dance in Dallas.