[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

didn't see it elsewhere

Bier Meister

DirecTV's strategy is definitely to differentiate themselves from other mutlichannel video providers by providing more and better HD. Cab;e is trying to compete based on having broadband/voice/triple play, which satellite cannot offer, at least not without some sort of strategic partnership. DISH is trying to compete on price, which I think is a weak strategy for the long haul. And DirecTV is trying to set themselves apart through HD, even for local channels.

One wierd thing I noticed was on some of the new HD channels when a show was not being broadcast in HD, the black side bars (pillarbox) were not as wide as they are on my old HD channels when a show was not being broadcast in HD. Anyone else see that or is it just me?

The wife got them to drop the entire $300 upgrade and they threw in NFL Superfan for free too. Amazing what happens when you tell them you'd like to disconnect.

Good thing the wife talked to them instead of you.... you would have ended up paying $600...and had to pay for NFL ticket all over again. :D :oldrazz:

Good thing the wife talked to them instead of you.... you would have ended up paying $600...and had to pay for NFL ticket all over again. :D :oldrazz:

That's why I handed it over to her. It would have been like that or we'd have fuzzy snow on our TV right now and I'd be on the phone with DirectTV telling them I was only joking. :D

i got hosed a little on sunday.

last year had sunday ticket, superfan, and hd package..

watching games and wasn't getting the ones in HD (higher channels) called them to find out Suffering succotash! was up. was on hold a long ass time to find out that they didn't automatically renew the superfan... asked for a discount and was denied. so had to tack on addition $$ for that SF.

generally speaking they have been pretty good (upgraded 3/4 receivers, knocked off misc on this and that over the years, etc)... so just let it go.

A&E (Channel 265)

Animal Planet (Channel 282)

Big Ten Network (Channel 220)

CNN (Channel 202)

The Discovery Channel (Channel 278)

The History Channel (Channel 269)

The Movie Channel East (Channel 544)

NFL Network (Channel 212)

Showtime West (Channel 540)

Showtime too (Channel 538)

The Smithsonian Channel (Channel 267)

The Science Channel (Channel 284)

Starz Comedy (Channel 519)

Starz East (Channel 522)

Starz West (Channel 540)

Starz Edge (Channel 520)

Starz Kids and Family (Channel 518)

TBS (Channel 247)

TLC (Channel 280)

Versus / The Golf Channel (Channel 604)

The Weather Channel (Channel 362

You list 21 there loaf... just like they advertised. However.... I was having problems finding them and so after a 1/2 on their site where I could find nothing...I called them. The lady on the phone said that they were having "glitches" and that only 11 were actually up and running.

In addition....it's a bit of a fib.... Take A&E for example... there isn't a HD channel for them... it is just the regular channel and if A&E ever runs a HD show then you would get it in HD.... but it isn't an extra channel that we got. They really didn't add many channels at all in fact.... just made some of the ones we already have HD capable. Not only that...but they show the networks available in HD ... but then you find out that those aren't free...and not part of the HD package.... you have to subscribe special to get them.

I was told when I got my HD package 2 years ago that they would have 100 channels by the end of that year. All in all I guess they can't tell time very well... but they are adding them slowly but surely.