[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

M.Bell...any chance this guy becomes "The Guy" again in Denver?

SpinalTapp

Why was M.Bell pushed back to full back duties...was it because he did not perform or because Selvin was just that good - perhaps a combo?

Could Bell become the guy again...or realistically if Selvin falters is Sapp or another guy more likely to be in line? There is the obvious...who friggin knows...answer with Shanny...so...any educated guesses?

I am pretty comfortable that Shanahan would have his second best RB taking the 2nd most carries. Mike Bell already got his shot and did very little with it. That's not to say that Shanahan won't mix and match if one guy doesn't take clear control but we already know what Bell and Sapp are like. IMO either Young takes it and is the primary back as a replacement for Henry (assuming he is suspended) or it will be another one of those years where you just never know for sure what Denver is going to do week to week.

But Young gets his shot and he has looked pretty good so far.

Loved Mike Bell last year. Was somewhat shocked he got moved to fullback, but then again he's similar to T.Henry (Young's a nice change of pace from all their other rostered backs). Bell doesn't wow you in any one area, but has great vision.

I wouldn't be surprised if when all is said and done that Bell or Sapp is the primary with Young the change of pace.

I'm not convinced Young can handle the full load (didn't in HS or college) or can hang onto the ball.

omfg, why can't people just come to accept Young is the guy.

Spoken like a true S.Young owner ;o)

I don't believe a word Shanny ever says about any of his backs. So, I don't trust that Young is the guy just yet.

Edited by SpinalTapp

IMO either Young takes it and is the primary back as a replacement for Henry (assuming he is suspended) or it will be another one of those years where you just never know for sure what Denver is going to do week to week.

+1

I wouldn't be suprised, if Henry does get suspended, the Denver RB situation goes the later before too long.

I hate to have to mention the obvious, but I don't believe anything that spills from Shanahan's mouth.

Some guy snaked Young from me because i was sleeping at the wheel but I picked up Bell just because....Butt I will ride the Pothead until he's suspended. I changed my team name from IrishPride to Puff Puff Pass Pride.........Between S.Smith,Delhomme,Henry......My season is close to over but I will huddle on........If I can get a couple or three weeks out of henry..........Maybe portis will be injured by then.......

Not that I always put stock in what Peter King says....but he was asked about this situation on a Boston radio show earlier this week.

His answer was that at Texas, Sel;vin Young was pushing Cedric Benson for the starting job, and just may have gotten it had he not broken his ankle. he akle kept him relatively unnoticed by NFL scouts, which is why he went undrafted.

Apparently his undrafted status has nothing to do with his talent level (not that I think Cedric Benson is the best benchmark of talent), and he has the type of tools to succeed in the Broncos running attack. Sounds to me like Mike Bell will continue to sit.

Not that I always put stock in what Peter King says....but he was asked about this situation on a Boston radio show earlier this week.

His answer was that at Texas, Sel;vin Young was pushing Cedric Benson for the starting job, and just may have gotten it had he not broken his ankle. he akle kept him relatively unnoticed by NFL scouts, which is why he went undrafted.

Apparently his undrafted status has nothing to do with his talent level (not that I think Cedric Benson is the best benchmark of talent), and he has the type of tools to succeed in the Broncos running attack. Sounds to me like Mike Bell will continue to sit.

Thank you.

According an article, he was not pushing Benson for the starting job, he was only pushing for playing time. Big difference.

The same article that says he was vying for playing time said he couldn't keep the starting tailback job once he got it (after Benson went to the NFL).

http://www.rookiepedia.com/index.php?title=Selvin_Young

In other articles, it tells how he climbed over Vasher to become the top back-up to Benson. Nothing about almost taking the job.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/ind...hange_well_id=2

http://texas.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=23294#bio

Of course, on Benson bio pages everywhere, you won't find Selvin Young info.

Benson ended his career at Texas as the #6 all-time rusher in NCAA history, tied for #3 in career TDs in NCAA history, and one of 5 RBs to ever rush for over 5,000 yards in his college career. Record 37 straight games with a TD. Blah, blah, blah

He wasn't in danger of losing the starting job.

Just another fluff piece trying to pump up the FF player of the week.

Young is decent, but has some big issues staying healthy.

Edited by Riffraff

According an article, he was not pushing Benson for the starting job, he was only pushing for playing time. Big difference.

The same article that says he was vying for playing time said he couldn't keep the starting tailback job once he got it (after Benson went to the NFL).

In other articles, it tells how he climbed over Vasher to become the top back-up to Benson. Nothing about almost taking the job.

??? Vasher was a DB.

Going into 2004, the plan was to split carries between Benson and Young...

:D

Benson went on to an 1800yd season and the rest is Chicago Bears RB controversy history.

IMO, Young literally had a bad break. The broken ankle he suffered was so bad it was considered career threatening. After that he really was NEVER playing healthy until 2006 and even then they had him split carries with Charles. He also had one semester of academic eligibility issues but worked his way back to become a primary UT team leader.

Young didn't have a perfect 4 years as a college athlete which largely contributed to scouts overlooking him. There are articles from this offseason, IIRC, that say that he didn't completely recover from that bad ankle break until the end of 2006 and AFTER last season at UT.

Sure, Young carries an injury risk but it's not like he's had a bunch of nagging injuries that have limited his effectiveness and availability. A lot of guys go their entire career and never experience an injury as severe as Young in '04. I don't think that warrants the label "injury prone", just a very unlucky, bad break.

If anything, he doesn't have the wear and tear of a guy like Benson coming out of college.

ALSO... I really don't understand the view of Young being a change of pace type back. His body type isn't anything like Tatum Bell... the prototypical height and weight but with a skinnier build. Go to Young's NFL.com page and look at some of his highlight videos. Young's build is somewhere in between Henry and Tatum... but most importantly he's a downhill runner like Henry and/or any of the other RBs that have excelled in Shanny's system.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/ind...hange_well_id=2

http://texas.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=23294#bio

Of course, on Benson bio pages everywhere, you won't find Selvin Young info.

Benson ended his career at Texas as the #6 all-time rusher in NCAA history, tied for #3 in career TDs in NCAA history, and one of 5 RBs to ever rush for over 5,000 yards in his college career. Record 37 straight games with a TD. Blah, blah, blah

He wasn't in danger of losing the starting job.

Just another fluff piece trying to pump up the FF player of the week.

Young is decent, but has some big issues staying healthy.

I'm only repeating back what Peter King said...and as I said I don;t believe everything I hear from him, I just thought it was worth adding it to the discussion in this case.