[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fuel oil

Front Row

It's up to $2.79 here and they're saying that it could hit $4.00 this winter. :D

We're actively shopping for a pellet or gas stove.

So you burn this stuff in a stove? What are ventilation requirements like?

??

Are you asking about the oil? #2 heating oil. Very common in the northeast. Boiler in the basement makes our hot water and runs our forced hot water heating system. :D

The pellets for a pellet stove are pressed wood from sawdust, etc. They look like woodstoves. Pellets cost about $229-269/ton.

Gas stove? We'd be using bottled propane because we don't have NG up here.

??

Are you asking about the oil? #2 heating oil. Very common in the northeast. Boiler in the basement makes our hot water and runs our forced hot water heating system. :D

The pellets for a pellet stove are pressed wood from sawdust, etc. They look like woodstoves. Pellets cost about $229-269/ton.

Gas stove? We'd be using bottled propane because we don't have NG up here.

wild, we use natural gas to create electricity in these parts.

:highfive: ...to Yuk's ZERO...

Cut four loads of oak (about 2 cords) this weekend. Don't know how you gas/oil burners do it. Literally sending the money right up the chimney. Plus, the fireplace is EXTREMELY cozy on those chilly evenings. :D:wacko::D:D

An open fireplace is extremely inefficient though. Most of the heat is going straight up the chimney. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but if I put in an alternative heating source, I'm all about the efficiency.

If I put in a chimney for a wood stove, it's going to run me about $1500, so far as I can tell. That duravent stuff is mighty expensive and my house is a two story colonial. Ka ching.

Do any of you have wood stoves in the basement, relying on the heat radiating up to warm the first floor of the house?

I got a fireplace insert in my basement. The fireplace upstaris is blocked off, for show only. I'll keep it running low and the dowstairs will be about 75 degrees and the upstairs will be about 65. Perfect as we spend most of our time down below. I just split 2 cords of oak for the winter, that should be enough to get me through. I'll still go through 1 tank (250 gals) of oil though. All I can say is that thankfully, I don't have electric heat.

I have an inclining that all you that don't know what fuel oil is, are going to know by spring. It will be in the news all winter due to the fact that it is very expensive and it is the same product that is used to transport all goods across the US. Everything is going to go up in price. Diesel fuel and fuel oil are used to grow your food, transport it to the processor and transport it to the store. All the things that Walmart and any other store sells are transported by trucks that use diesel fuel. If fuel oil goes up diesel goes up and so do the prices that we pay for things.

Early 80's my mom's 2 flat was costing $2500 w/ an oil boiler. We put a new gas boiler in (~$2700) and the gas bill the next year was ~$800. She paid off the new boiler in 2 years.

For those that can't get NG, isn't LP cheaper than oil? :D

Edited by rocknrobn26

We rented an old farm house that was oil heated, five years ago. I was chitting a brick every time we had that tank filled, and that was when it was only $1.30-$1.65 gallon. Of course, I don't think the house had any insulation in the walls. That little 900 sqft house cost more to heat back then, then it does to heat our 3,000 sqft house now. :D

Never will go back to heating oil again.

I'm just glad I filled in spring. I was called foolish at the time by some friends.

We'll be using the fireplace alot this year and hopefully get by on one tank for the whole year.

Are you asking about the oil? #2 heating oil.
Yes.

Just called. $2.94 cash. $3.04 credit. No competition to call, either.

Ouch!!, good thing for you it doesn't get to cold in Packerland. :D

We'll be using the fireplace alot this year and hopefully get by on one tank for the whole year.

That is amazing , 1 tank will get me through the entire summer.

We average about 4-5 tank fulls a yr, depending on the severity of the winter; quite the heating budget recently.

That is amazing , 1 tank will get me through the entire summer.

We average about 4-5 tank fulls a yr, depending on the severity of the winter; quite the heating budget recently.

Do you set your temp to 90?!?!

We have a small house - I don't know the footage, but 2 bed and a basement (we have an upstairs but don't heat it at this time). We keep our temp at 62 and usually go through 2 tanks in the winter (250 gallons).

Why do you Yanks hate the environment? Surely there are cleaner sources of fuel.

I may hate the environment, but at least I don't have to live in Texas. :D

And, besides, global warming is good for us way up here. :D

Do you set your temp to 90?!?!

We have a small house - I don't know the footage, but 2 bed and a basement (we have an upstairs but don't heat it at this time). We keep our temp at 62 and usually go through 2 tanks in the winter (250 gallons).

I'm not sure what your average temperature is, but you may want to check into adding some insulation. Either additional batting in the attic or having the foam blown into walls can pay for itself in only a couple of years.