[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A public service announcement

detlef

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't realize that it would cause problems either. Makes sense though. Of course, there is NO way most people are ever going to call back to tell you so it will be easier to chalk it up as a 'cost of doing business'. That way it won't give you an ulcer.

:D @ Puddy as the voice of reason.

Edited by The Wolf

I didn't realize that it would cause problems either. Makes sense though. Of course, there is NO way most people are ever going to call back to tell you so it will be easier to chalk it up as a 'cost of doing business'. That way it won't give you an ulcer.

I avoid ulcers by coming here and venting to/ debating with you all.

The good news for me is that my restaurant does a lot of walk-in business so, even blatant inconsiderate actions (which, BTW, I don't qualify this whole bit as, rather just an example of people not knowing any better) don't tend to hurt us as badly as some. For instance, if a large party just flat out no-shows, we can typically break up the table and seat it with somebody else (of course, that brings up another wrinkle, ie: how long do you hold somebody's table if they're late and don't call. I can assure you, that my opinion of when it is cool and the opinion of the table that walks in 30-45 minutes after their reservation without calling will not be the same and they won't hesitate to make a big freaking stink about it), I digress.

At any rate, the place next door to mine is much higher-end, so they pretty much do almost 100% reservation business. On special occasion weekends, they're always booked well ahead of time and turn many away. They started requiring credit cards to hold reservations on such occasions but, of course, took grief from more than one person despite the fact that they would not be charged anything if they canceled at least 1 day ahead. One such weekend, he decided to just wing it and not require the CC # to see what would happen. Of the 150 reservations they had, 37 no-showed. Because, unlike my place, he didn't have many people just walking in, dude lost out on about $3500 in sales. It seems that people will sometimes make reservations at a number of places on such weekends so they can keep their options open as to where the group wants to go. Lesson learned.

37 no-showed. Because, unlike my place, he didn't have many people just walking in, dude lost out on about $3500 in sales.

Where you at? carolina or some other neck mulletville flat? Do they like your kind there, ya know, the ghey?

High end huh? 37 reso's, lets assume 2 per res, $3500 sales? So a 'high end' place in your neck of the woods is $100 a table for two tops?

Lets assume 10 of those reso's were 4 tops, do they serve anything but coffee and dough nuts?

Where you at? carolina or some other neck mulletville flat? Do they like your kind there, ya know, the ghey?

High end huh? 37 reso's, lets assume 2 per res, $3500 sales? So a 'high end' place in your neck of the woods is $100 a table for two tops?

Lets assume 10 of those reso's were 4 tops, do they serve anything but coffee and dough nuts?

Dude, 37 reservations, as in, 37 people. 37 people/ $3500/ about $100 per person. Pretty much high end in any market.

Now you're just arguing to hear yourself talk. Don't be a putz.

The good news for me is that my restaurant does a lot of walk-in business so, even blatant inconsiderate actions (which, BTW, I don't qualify this whole bit as, rather just an example of people not knowing any better) don't tend to hurt us as badly as some. For instance, if a large party just flat out no-shows, we can typically break up the table and seat it with somebody else (of course, that brings up another wrinkle, ie: how long do you hold somebody's table if they're late and don't call.

I spent a lot of time in the restaurant biz, this stuff really is not all that complicated or stressful, especially since do a good number of walk-in business. When you take reservations leave around 2 dueces open every 45 min for walk-ins, and tell tables of 6 or more that reservations will only be held for up to 15-20 min if they are late and do not call (15-20 is a fairly acceptable time to wait before giving up the table). That way at most a walkin will only have to wait for about 15 min on no shows. If you have a decent bar that always helps. Also track your no show rates nightly and after some time you will probably start to see somewhat of a pattern during different times of the year, nights, etc. You may find that you can actually start overbooking certain time slots considering the no shows, which a lot of busy rest's do. And for good measure take a trip to the walk-in every now and then and take a puff :D

I spent a lot of time in the restaurant biz, this stuff really is not all that complicated or stressful, especially since do a good number of walk-in business. When you take reservations leave around 2 dueces open every 45 min for walk-ins, and tell tables of 6 or more that reservations will only be held for up to 15-20 min if they are late and do not call (15-20 is a fairly acceptable time to wait before giving up the table). That way at most a walkin will only have to wait for about 15 min on no shows. If you have a decent bar that always helps. Also track your no show rates nightly and after some time you will probably start to see somewhat of a pattern during different times of the year, nights, etc. You may find that you can actually start overbooking certain time slots considering the no shows, which a lot of busy rest's do. And for good measure take a trip to the walk-in every now and then and take a puff :D

Thanks for the reply but my place is a bit too small to take advantage of many of the things you describe. Believe me, we have systems in place to mitigate the effects these hassles can cause. As I mentioned on numerous occasions, the situation last night defied all reasonable contingencies. Limited flexibility due to a number of larger parties, higher than average walk-ins that ate up the kitchen bar seating (that is basically there exactly for walk-ins), a few early tables that stayed forever (very unusual as 5:30 walk-ins almost always are among the fastest turns), etc.

We avoid making anything more complicated than it needs to be. Of course, sometimes making things less complicated than they needs to be can be just as bad, especially when you are trying to make money with a smaller restaurant in a market that, unlike larger cities, doesn't support an extended dinner hour. That is, you either find a home for them between 6:30 and 8:30 or they're likely on to another spot.

As for the holding tables deal, that is what we do. Of course, people can be as quick to forget that you told them you wouldn't hold their table as they are to forget that when you gave them that last minute reservation on a weekend night that you could only fit them in if they realized you needed the table back by X. Not most, mind you, but enough to irritate the f out of you.

As for the holding tables deal, that is what we do. Of course, people can be as quick to forget that you told them you wouldn't hold their table as they are to forget that when you gave them that last minute reservation on a weekend night that you could only fit them in if they realized you needed the table back by X. Not most, mind you, but enough to irritate the f out of you.

There is nothing worse the table that is supposed to be out by a certain time. I feel your pain on that one. I remember during certain days of the year like Mothers Day (which is a huge dinning day) we would book tables for only 2 hours at a time. Trying to get people to leave exactly 2 hours later was a nightmare, you usually wind up having to just start forcing them to finish by dropping a check wether they are done or not. Like I said I used to have to take a trip to the walk-in every now and then to keep my sanity. After ahwile you start to realize that the rest biz, once the doors open every night, is one big rollercoaster ride, so you just relax and hold on till the "rush" is over or you will lose it and even worse you start to find you are unable to relax when you go out to dinner somewhere else, you know when you are bussing your own table and telling your friends not to worry about their steak being MW when they ordered it MR and to just eat it anyways because you don't want to bother the server :D Oh yeah been there done that.

I don't understand the "table that is supposed to be out by a certain time".

So, if I drop $400 on dinner between the wife and I, I should know that I'm expected to leave the restaurant within 2 hours instead of having a relaxing enjoyable evening with her? I'm sorry but I'm going to take my sweet ass time.

So, if I drop $400 on dinner between the wife and I, I should know that I'm expected to leave the restaurant within 2 hours instead of having a relaxing enjoyable evening with her? I'm sorry but I'm going to take my sweet ass time.

A lot of restaurants including "upscale places" will implement this certain times of the year. On Mothers Day for example most places offer a brunch and put a time limit of 2 hours per table in order to "turn" tables and get more people in. If they do not do this people will come in and sit from open to close and since you usually charge a flat fee per head the rest would lose a lot of money becasue they could only seat the place once or twice. This also happens on New Years Eve if you come in early you usually have to be out at a certain time as places will start offering a "fixed" menu at a set price per head for peolpe who make reservations and they come in around 9:00 and stay through the evening. Also it is common practice if like Detlef mentioned someone walks in on a very busy night without a reservation and wants to eat, you can tell them you can get them in if they agree to be out at a certain time to fulfill the space needed for that reso. Most people are cool with this but there are always some who are a huge PITA and technically the are no real ways to enforce these guidlines (unless you want to drag some guy out kicking and screaming) so it can leave you as the rest owner in a bind. 99.9% of the time you as the paying customer would notified of this in advance.

A lot of restaurants including "upscale places" will implement this certain times of the year. On Mothers Day for example most places offer a brunch and put a time limit of 2 hours per table in order to "turn" tables and get more people in. If they do not do this people will come in and sit from open to close and since you usually charge a flat fee per head the rest would lose a lot of money becasue they could only seat the place once or twice. This also happens on New Years Eve if you come in early you usually have to be out at a certain time as places will start offering a "fixed" menu at a set price per head for peolpe who make reservations and they come in around 9:00 and stay through the evening. Also it is common practice if like Detlef mentioned someone walks in on a very busy night without a reservation and wants to eat, you can tell them you can get them in if they agree to be out at a certain time to fulfill the space needed for that reso. Most people are cool with this but there are always some who are a huge PITA and technically the are no real ways to enforce these guidlines (unless you want to drag some guy out kicking and screaming) so it can leave you as the rest owner in a bind. 99.9% of the time you as the paying customer would notified of this in advance.

Cool, thx for the clarification.

With us that is a case by case situation. For instance. You call on a busy weekend sort of late in the game. I've got one spot but maybe I wanted to sell it a bit earlier than you felt like coming to give myself the cushion that 49er and I have been talking about. I tell you, "I can take you at 6:30, but I really need it back by 8:00." If that's not cool with you because you're gonna go big and want to chill, that's cool, but you're going to have to come in another night or maybe come in at 9:00 or something, 'cause I can't take you at that time unless you agree to be out.

The point I was making is that some a-holes will say, "No problem, we've got to catch a show anyway" or something. Then 8:00 comes along and...well "the customers always right" isn't he?

edit to add, what he said.

Edited by detlef

Well since I am at it, I will add to your PSA

:D Do not ask for seperate checks!!

Especially when you are in a group of 6 or more. If you need a receipt for biz expenses than just ask and the server can just print you and extra copy for your records, than circle what you had on the reciept and turn it in. There is nothing worse than a group of peolpe who can't all just chip in and pay the ONE bill. Also most people don't know that it actually costs the rest owner (or any merchant) to process credit card transaction so when you get 10 guys all wanting seperate checks so they can each put 12.50 on their cc for lunch it's not only a PITA but is also a financial drag. A good rule of thumb for all dinners is to always take cash with you when you go out to eat, especially when out on business or a date, that way you can cover you as$ if your cc is declined for whatever reason and also you can just give your 12.50 to one person to pay the bill. If you travel in groups on biz than rotate every time you go out to eat so you can share the expense. Also no one likes the guy who wants to know exactly how much he spent out of the group to cover only his share, just split the sh*t evenly and move on or keep your cheap as$ at home and have a TV dinner :D

The point I was making is that some a-holes will say, "No problem, we've got to catch a show anyway" or something. Then 8:00 comes along and...well "the customers always right" isn't he?

edit to add, what he said.

Well you are in the service industry, so yes the customer is ALWAYS right. Bummer, but true. No matter food, retail, wholesale etc. You as the owner also have the right not to serve said a-hole patron next time, which is your ace in the hole so to speak. Though to me anyone that worked in the food service industry for any length of time would not do these things when dining out themselves because they know what a PITA little things can be in this industry.

back off of det.... he knows his stuff and is doing a great job over there. in every line of work there are vast numbers of people (customers, bosses, co-workers) that have no idea how their behavior impacts the flow of a business. honestly, walk-ins need to understand that because they didn't make a res they might be waiting....... as a restaurant, you give them a time you can seat them... they accept or go elsewhere....

yes, it's nice if people call to inform of a change, but those shouldn't make or break you.

back off of det.... he knows his stuff and is doing a great job over there. in every line of work there are vast numbers of people (customers, bosses, co-workers) that have no idea how their behavior impacts the flow of a business. honestly, walk-ins need to understand that because they didn't make a res they might be waiting....... as a restaurant, you give them a time you can seat them... they accept or go elsewhere....

yes, it's nice if people call to inform of a change, but those shouldn't make or break you.

Would you seriously want a whiner like him workin for you............. :D

Would you seriously want a whiner like him workin for you............. :D

in a heartbeat... and i'd work for him as well. i guess i am seeing this as public vs private personna and i have a hard time seeing him dealing with these issues unprofessionally..... i think he is just ranting and passing along a little bit of info that can help a restaurant be more accomodating.

Here's what i've learned so far.........SF409ers knows his chit and you're a dumbass detlef that can't handle chit....hit the bricks dude we don't care about your big party of 4 :D

Right, you know so much about the restaraunt biz. SF has obviously worked at a restaraunt. Detlef is just venting. You have no clue momo. I have been on th erecieving end of a large party never showin up, as a server. They reserve a 10 top and sit there with two people talking on the phone for 45 minutes drinking sprites trying to round up friends and ultimately end up with 6 people. Its rude and inconsiderate and it sucks. No argument about it. I'm sure all the people arguin are trolls lookin for a fight so dont sweat it. I think everyone should be drafted into a restaraunt job in thier college years just so they have a clue.whats goin on when they go out to eat. Seriously. It makes you a better person.

Well since I am at it, I will add to your PSA

:D Do not ask for seperate checks!!

Especially when you are in a group of 6 or more. If you need a receipt for biz expenses than just ask and the server can just print you and extra copy for your records, than circle what you had on the reciept and turn it in. There is nothing worse than a group of peolpe who can't all just chip in and pay the ONE bill. Also most people don't know that it actually costs the rest owner (or any merchant) to process credit card transaction so when you get 10 guys all wanting seperate checks so they can each put 12.50 on their cc for lunch it's not only a PITA but is also a financial drag. A good rule of thumb for all dinners is to always take cash with you when you go out to eat, especially when out on business or a date, that way you can cover you as$ if your cc is declined for whatever reason and also you can just give your 12.50 to one person to pay the bill. If you travel in groups on biz than rotate every time you go out to eat so you can share the expense. Also no one likes the guy who wants to know exactly how much he spent out of the group to cover only his share, just split the sh*t evenly and move on or keep your cheap as$ at home and have a TV dinner :D

And the people that figure out thier portion of the bill to the penny. Geez, if you order a burger for 7.50 and a soda for 2.00 just round it off to 10.00 + tip. How broke are you that you need an itimized bill? I just throw down 15.00 in that scenario cause someone in the group will enevitable be th edick to make the total check short. Split checks suck. Especially when yer in the weeds.

Right, you know so much about the restaraunt biz. SF has obviously worked at a restaraunt. Detlef is just venting. You have no clue momo. I have been on th erecieving end of a large party never showin up, as a server. They reserve a 10 top and sit there with two people talking on the phone for 45 minutes drinking sprites trying to round up friends and ultimately end up with 6 people. Its rude and inconsiderate and it sucks. No argument about it. I'm sure all the people arguin are trolls lookin for a fight so dont sweat it. I think everyone should be drafted into a restaraunt job in thier college years just so they have a clue.whats goin on when they go out to eat. Seriously. It makes you a better person.

SORRY for my insensitivity.........i've been livin it up in Construction for 25 years.........and instead of doing restaurant duty in college i went to Boot Camp....so shove your advice and that swizzle stick up your ass........ :D

a time limit of 2 hours per table in order to "turn" tables and get more people in. If they do not do this people will come in and sit from open to close and since you usually charge a flat fee per head the rest would lose a lot of money becasue they could only seat the place once or twice.

I was at the Wong Buffet from 4:30-8:15 tonight....they were speaking in tounges I'd never heard.