[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hunting Photos

Rebellab

Okay, sorry I didn't include more. Both deer were 5X5, you southerns call them 10 points. Mine was 22" spread and my dad's was about 19". I shot mine at about 200 yards. My dad has an artificial leg and can shoot from the pick-up so we went and found him and we drove over to where I had gotten mine to look for the other buck in the group. Sure enough he was about 1/4 mile away right off the road, so my dad shot his from the truck about 250 yards. It doesn't sound very sporting, but my dad has hunted since 1979 when he lost his leg the way you and I do. He is 66 years old and finally decided to get his permit to shoot from a vehicle.

I use a .25-06 and my dad shoots a .270. I don't get to spend a lot of time with my folks, so yes this is a very special trip every year. We go whether we have doe tags or any deer tags. As my life calms down a little over the next year, I will be making more trips to hunt and fish with my dad.

They are two VERY nice deer , and to share the hunt with your Dad. :D Hard to beat that, what yardage, details man ! calibers etc. ?

This SOB wouldn't stop crappin in my yard.

I don't think he will be crapping in your yard anymore. I have a friend that is the state trapper he shoots about 500 coyotes a year. They will shoot 20-30 a day from a plane with a shotgun. They have really taken over here in central South Dakota.

Okay, sorry I didn't include more. Both deer were 5X5, you southerns call them 10 points. Mine was 22" spread and my dad's was about 19". I shot mine at about 200 yards. My dad has an artificial leg and can shoot from the pick-up so we went and found him and we drove over to where I had gotten mine to look for the other buck in the group. Sure enough he was about 1/4 mile away right off the road, so my dad shot his from the truck about 250 yards. It doesn't sound very sporting, but my dad has hunted since 1979 when he lost his leg the way you and I do. He is 66 years old and finally decided to get his permit to shoot from a vehicle.

I use a .25-06 and my dad shoots a .270. I don't get to spend a lot of time with my folks, so yes this is a very special trip every year. We go whether we have doe tags or any deer tags. As my life calms down a little over the next year, I will be making more trips to hunt and fish with my dad.

Awesome Reb. Rifle season starts the Monday after Thanksgiving here (Pa.) and I can't freakin' wait. And don't make excuses for your Dad's situation, just enjoy doing what you can with him. I think it's great that he still gets out.

How do you and I lose legs? :D

Thanks for sharing. I had an absolute blast this past weekend. I shot at a coyote while it was still getting light, but he was running about 250 yards away, but i detest them so I took a shot at him. I shot a nice doe about 7am after field dressing her, I then called my dad who i had heard shoot. He was on a blood trail about 300 yards into the timber. He said he'd call back after he found and dressed it for the drag out of the woods. I climbed back into my stand and sat for about 30sec to a min before I decided I was gonna go help him anyway, which worked out as I hit the ground a nice 9 point came running through about 50 yards behind my stand in the woods. I gave a quick grunt and stopped him right in his tracks and put my 30-06 bullet right into his vitals and he dropped. I would have never gotten a shot had I not got out of my stand. This is back to back years I have shot a nice 9 point.

My dad didn't fare as well as I did though.......he missed the 30 pointer. I shiatt you not.....the 30 pointer. We didn't even know he was out there, never had seen him on camera or anything. He was about 300 yards from him and my dad said he looked like a cow standing out there with a bush on his head he had so much trash, points everywhere. He shot and it disappeared, we looked for blood for hours. My dad shoots a 7.7 Jap Sniper Rifle and there has always only been one shell maker NORMA, a company based in Switzerland, they stopped carrying them two years ago and I bought 3 boxes of the new maker Normandy, for some reason these shells lack the knockdown power the Normas had and some deer my dad had been hitting with good shots didn't display any blood trail until 50 - 75 yards. So we were optimistic he had hit the 30 pointer cause my dad never misses, although we generally don't shoot that far away either, but how many times to you get that opportunity in your lifetime. Well we never found him or blood, so we are all praying that he missed, like I said which is VERY rare, he's an excellent marksmen.

Saturady evening I had a nice 9 point and 8 point around 50 yards from fighting over a doe, i'm not going to tell the whole long story but it is a story that just can't be made up. Needless to say I radioed my best friends father in law who was about 600 yards away to close the gap and take this bruiser and he shot it right in the mouth on the 3rd try from about 280 yards across a creek from me, awesome shot...I had him about 50 yards broadside for over 10 minutes as he watched the doe eat after running off the 8 point. Last weekend was a blast, but this weekend it will be even better as I have a neighbor (good friend) taking his 14 year old daughter up there and my best friend taking his 9 year old and I am taking my 4 and 7 year old all hunting. Basically no matter what happens the first weekend the second weekend is for the kids, always. My kids love the outdoors as much ass I do and its just great bonding time. As anxious as I was for last weekend, I'm even more anxious for this one. I know there are at least 3 wall hangers still rnning around out there and am hopeful someone gets one of them.........the 30 pointer sure would be nice. I am definately doing some serious bow hunting after rifle season is over since I have seen all these monsters running around. We usually have a good year like this every 5 years or so mainly cause we control our herd every year taking at least a 4:1 or 5:1 doe to buck ratio. I was really pissed off buying my tags, 9 people in front of me all bought any deer tags......they probably don't even know how to field dress a deer, that shiatt pisses me off.

We shot 9 mature does, 1 button buck and 3 bucks last weekend.

Edited by Hat Trick

Last weekend was a blast, but this weekend it will be even better as I have a neighbor (good friend) taking his 14 year old daughter up there and my best friend taking his 9 year old and I am taking my 4 and 7 year old all hunting.

I just dont comprehend how a child would like seeing a deer shot in the mouth.

How do you and I lose legs? :D

Sometimes my grammar is not the best. He lost his leg and it has never affected him until recently as he has gotten older it is harder for him to get around up an down hills and draws and the such.

In 1979 he got it caught in the PTO shaft of a tractor he was using to feed cattle. It was so broken up that it was actually rotting in the hospital before they cut it off.

I just dont comprehend how a child would like seeing a deer shot in the mouth.

It's okay.......I don't expect many of you to understand. :D Some have really shallow minds, god didn't give us all great things. Shiatt maybe you have a big thumb, feel fortunate, he blessed you with something.

And another thing......my kids have been THRILLED to go hunting with dad for weeks, everyday they count down the days.

Edited by Hat Trick

It's okay.......I don't expect many of you to understand. :D Some have really shallow minds, god didn't give us all great things. Shiatt maybe you have a big thumb, feel fortunate, he blessed you with something.

And another thing......my kids have been THRILLED to go hunting with dad for weeks, everyday they count down the days.

I started going hunting with my family when I was 3 and always counted the days until hunting season (still do). Turning 12 and getting to hunt was one of the biggest days of my life.

Hey, I wasnt knocking it. I just think my 3yr old would be horified if he saw a deer shot. "Daddy, that deer has a big boo boo." Ick.

Hey, I wasnt knocking it. I just think my 3yr old would be horified if he saw a deer shot. "Daddy, that deer has a big boo boo." Ick.

Yeah, i was giving you a hard time. Hunters get a bad rap and it bothers me. We (my family and friends)hunt for all the right reasons. A 3 year old really still can't comprehend death to its fullest, so yeah I could understand that. Now my 4 year old is a lot older for his age cause of his older brother.....I don't really want to take him cause he's still a little young, but he wants to go and big brother really wants him to go as well. I took the oldest when he was 5 1/2 and I didn't get one, but last year when he was 6 1/2 I did and he was fine with it all except he thought the field dressing was gross, but it is until you're about 15, some never get past it. I'm pumped that they are into what I like......that alone means the world to me. They've got wealth and fortune headed their way one day in this area if they want it. I have a pretty good idea how the little one will act otherwise I wouldn't take him. The chances that we get one will be slim with those two sitting with me, but it's the bonding experience that is priceless.