[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How many of you allow your kids to use Myspace?

rajncajn

You might want to read this.

I for one can honestly say that I will NEVER allow my children to use Myspace or any similar service. My daughter uses the computer a lot to play games & do various interactive learning web sites, but we keep our only computer in our living room and all activity on it is patrolled by me & my wife. It will never be used by the children while either of us are not at home and when they are old enough to be left at home the internet will be locked out. That's the way it is and that is the way it will remain until they are old enough to buy their own computer in their own home.

You might want to read this.

I for one can honestly say that I will NEVER allow my children to use Myspace or any similar service. My daughter uses the computer a lot to play games & do various interactive learning web sites, but we keep our only computer in our living room and all activity on it is patrolled by me & my wife. It will never be used by the children while either of us are not at home and when they are old enough to be left at home the internet will be locked out. That's the way it is and that is the way it will remain until they are old enough to buy their own computer in their own home.

A little harsh but understandable. Most kids these days use facebook but there isn't much difference between the 2.

I'm not sure I'll be as strict as you but I'll probably lock certain sites that can only be used when my wife or I are home.

How old is your daughter? If she's 12 or older I guarantee she's already using facebook.

As my son gets older, I've been thinking about what potential "policy" we will have, and software we night need to buy. That girl sounded like she had some issues before myspace came along.

She sounds like a typical teenager to me actually. I remember being that age and how much what my peers said affected me. It wasn't until about 17 or 18 that I finally realized that what people said didn't really matter, that it's how you feel about yourself as a person and you should live your life accordingly and not care what anyone else thinks or says. That's not something kids just believe when you tell them, it's something they have to realize on their own with maturity. Until then kids her age are extremely susceptible to suggestion and very influenced by their peers.

A little harsh but understandable. Most kids these days use facebook but there isn't much difference between the 2.

I'm not sure I'll be as strict as you but I'll probably lock certain sites that can only be used when my wife or I are home.

How old is your daughter? If she's 12 or older I guarantee she's already using facebook.

She just turned 8 so I know she's not doing anything behind my back. Any time she gets on the computer she knows she has to ask and she knows she is not allowed to go to any sites that are not approved by us first.

I have a 12 year old daughter. She recently stayed over at a birthday sleep over at friend's house. She seemed a bit bothered the next day when we picked her up and come to find out, she told my wife that the other girls were getting on the PC once the parents went to bed and got on Facebook...through which many of them had signed up and lied about their ages, etc. The other girls asked her if she was on Facebook or whatever, and of course she said no. They offered to help her sign up, etc...telling her that it was "ok" and her parents wouldn't know. She declined even in the face of this peer pressure. She said that she knew that it was wrong.......and knew we'd be extremely upset with her for doing something like that. I know her being a 12 yr old girl...and wanting to fit in...she was surely tempted to make an account....but she didn't cave in. She said that she was "disappointed" in her friends...and didn't really expect this from a couple of the girls. She has since been a bit distant from them....but at her own will. She is still friends with them all...but she clearly stood up for what she thought was right...and when faced with a tough choice...she did the right thing. We are extremely proud of her and just pray that she can continue to make the right choices in tough situations down the road.....because there will be many.

Edited by Hitman

I have a 12 year old daughter. She recently stayed over at a birthday sleep over at friend's house. She seemed a bit bothered the next day when we picked her up and come to find out, she told my wife that the other girls were getting on the PC once the parents went to bed and got on Facebook...through which many of them had signed up and lied about their ages, etc. The other girls asked her if she was on Facebook or whatever, and of course she said no. They offered to help her sign up, etc...telling her that it was "ok" and her parents wouldn't know. She declined even in the face of this peer pressure. She said that she knew that it was wrong.......and knew we'd be extremely upset with her for doing something like that. I know her being a 12 yr old girl...and wanting to fit in...she was surely tempted to make an account....but she didn't cave in. She said that she was "disappointed" in her friends...and didn't really expect this from a couple of the girls. She has since been a bit distant from them....but at her own will. She is still friends with them all...but she clearly stood up for what she thought was right...and when faced with a tough choice...she did the right thing. We are extremely proud of her and just pray that she can continue to make the right choices in tough situations down the road.....because there will be many.

Facebook is pretty tame, I'm not sure about the age requirements but many high schools use it as their main avenue for networking and social events. My two cousins who are 14 and 17 use facebook all of the time to communicate with their friends. I'd be a little more concerned if my kids were signing up for myspace rather than facebook.

but did she pass on grass? or did she hit the rock? we will never know

:D

:D

I found this:

Additionally, there are certain age requirements for particular networks so that the right users are associating with the right network.

What this means is that some pervert can't technically subscribe to some high school network in facebook, only kids that go to that school.

Like I said, I wouldn't be too concerned about facebook, it's myspace I'd be concerned about since you must be 18 or lie that you're 18 and unless you mark your page as private anyone can visit it.

I found this:

What this means is that some pervert can't technically subscribe to some high school network in facebook, only kids that go to that school.

Like I said, I wouldn't be too concerned about facebook, it's myspace I'd be concerned about since you must be 18 or lie that you're 18 and unless you mark your page as private anyone can visit it.

Very good to know. I guess when that time comes I will research it a bit more and make a fair decision, but that's not to say I will be any less stringent with internet usage.

She suffered from depression and attention deficit disorder. :D
Which can be said of an awful lot of teenagers.

Yeah, a boy on the street could have called her ugly with the same results, this isn't a myspace thing.

Did you read the article? If you had you would see just how manipulative people can be with this service. A freaking parent created the fake name & pretended to be this 12 year olds friend to find out what this girl might be saying about her own child. Then she allowed her kids & other kids to gain access to this account. They obviously knew just what to say to gain this girls trust & friendship and then crushed that friendship by telling her that the world would be better without her. In real life it is easier to tell who your friends are. It is much harder to spend time with someone and pretend to be their friend than it is online...It's not just a Myspace thing, it's an internet thing and it is definitely a REAL problem. If you don't believe me just do a web search for cyber bullying & see just how many hits you get or just hit the link below.

http://www.stopcyberbullying.org/

I would be proud of her to :D

Oh and Myspace for kids :D

Edited by ChuckB

It's not just a Myspace thing, it's an internet thing and it is definitely a REAL problem.

True, but like everything else, this is why kids have parents, so they can help them and guide them and watch over them. If your 13 year old is on a website that you have to be to 18 to be on, it's the parents responsibility. On the other hand, just like in real life and internet life, you can't protect your kids from everything. So you teach them the rights and the wrongs and watch over them to the best of your ability. But don't blame myspace for this, it has very little if almost nothing to do with it specifically. She could just as easy have chatted with someone on AIM.

No way would I let my son or daughter (13 and 11) have a myspace account....or facebook for that matter. I have the browser programmed to prompt for a password everytime they want off Animal Planet, DiscoveryKids, Discovery Planet? Disney, and whole sort of other pre-programmed web pages. There is no way I am letting my kid ruin their life because they met H8tank in some internet chatroom!!!!! :D

True, but like everything else, this is why kids have parents, so they can help them and guide them and watch over them. If your 13 year old is on a website that you have to be to 18 to be on, it's the parents responsibility. On the other hand, just like in real life and internet life, you can't protect your kids from everything. So you teach them the rights and the wrongs and watch over them to the best of your ability. But don't blame myspace for this, it has very little if almost nothing to do with it specifically. She could just as easy have chatted with someone on AIM.

True dat. Also, kinds need to learn how to handle bullying. It happens ALL of the time and almost everybody is a victim at some point or other in their lives... and if it doesn't occur on Myspace or some other stupid networking site on the web, it'll happen at school. Kids need to learn how to shug off crap like that. It's part of growing up.

The only real problem I see with this is the freaking parents being involved in the bullying. That's f'n pathetic.