[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Blu Ray Player vs PS3 Blu Ray

Perchoutofwater

What kind of drop is there from the Blu Ray on a PS3 and the stand alone Blu Ray players in terms of quality?

i have a PS3 and really only use it for Blu Ray....as far as I have read the PS3 stands up to any other Blu Ray out there

i have a PS3 and really only use it for Blu Ray....as far as I have read the PS3 stands up to any other Blu Ray out there

+1..I own 31 Blu-rays and 3 games that I rarely even play anyways...

the big question I had before purchasing my PS3 was "will the blu-ray player be as bad as the DVD player was on the PS2 in contrast?"....

if anything, it is better than the standalone players because of the firmware upgrades, plus the bluetooth capabilities with the remote control and a bluetooth keyboard/mouse if you want to browse the internet...you have the ethernet port or wifi..

as for the movies that don't come out on Blu-ray, I just download them in high def and convert them to mpeg-4 and save them to the PS3 hard-drive...:D ...

the only problem with the PS3 is a lot of people are purchasing them over a standalone Blu-ray player because of the value and the standalone players aren't selling as well as they should...

Edited by Avernus

i've been very pleased with my ps3 both as a bluray player, and an upconverting standard dvd player. havent watched it side by side with other bluray players, but it really does an excellent job as far as i can tell. the contrast is particularly impressive on my 1080p sharp LCD.

based on the reviews I've read, there is no dropoff...

it's just not as user friendly for movies and the load times may not be as fast....

it's just not as user friendly for movies and the load times may not be as fast....

this is definitely true if you use the game controller as the remote. but if you just order the 20 dollar dvd player remote, it's very simple and straightforward. i would highly recommend it for anyone with a ps3 using it as a dvd player.

this is definitely true if you use the game controller as the remote. but if you just order the 20 dollar dvd player remote, it's very simple and straightforward. i would highly recommend it for anyone with a ps3 using it as a dvd player.

exactly...I use the remote as well...

but in regards to firmware upgrades and whatnot...some people who don't play videogames at all turn the PS3 on and tend to get lost....but I don't see how :D

Ok, one more question regarding memory. If I only play few games Madden, NCAA football and maybe one other, will the smaller hard drive work? Is there any advantages to having the larger HDDs for the casual player who usually plays against the computer, and may only play against a friend every now and then?

Ok, one more question regarding memory. If I only play few games Madden, NCAA football and maybe one other, will the smaller hard drive work? Is there any advantages to having the larger HDDs for the casual player who usually plays against the computer, and may only play against a friend every now and then?

Here's the differences between the two:

PS3 40 GB Spider-Man™ 3 Pack

* $399.99

* Wi-Fi Enabled

* 40 GB HDD

* HDMI Out

* FREE Online Gameplay

* Blu-ray™ HD Movie Player

(included)

* Wireless Controller

(Included)

* Spider-Man™ 3 BD

($39.99 value)

* DVD Upscaling

* CD Upsampling

* Remote Play

(Compatible with PSP® system)

* Bluetooth® Compatible

* 2 USB 2.0 Ports

PS3 80 GB MotorStorm™ Pack

* $499.99

* Wi-Fi Enabled

* 80 GB HDD

* HDMI Out

* FREE Online Gameplay

* Blu-ray™ HD Movie Player

(included)

* Wireless Controller

(Included)

* MotorStorm™

($59.99 value)

* DVD Upscaling

* CD Upsampling

* Remote Play

(Compatible with PSP® system)

* Bluetooth® Compatible

* 4 USB 2.0 Ports

* Backward Compatibility

"Most PS2 and PS one games"

* CompactFlash®/

SD Memory Card/

Memory Stick™

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/Comparison

I bought mine yesterday. I thought it was worth the extra $100 for the bolded above. Backward compatibility being the biggest deal,IMO.

As far as saves go. I have over 130 saved games for C&C3 on my PC. They total 1GB.

Hope that helps.

Edited by rocknrobn26

* 4 USB 2.0 Ports

* Backward Compatibility

"Most PS2 and PS one games"

* CompactFlash®/

SD Memory Card/

Memory Stick™

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/Comparison

I bought mine yesterday. I thought it was worth the extra $100 for the bolded above. Backward compatibility being the biggest deal,IMO.

As far as saves go. I have over 130 saved games for C&C3 on my PC. They total 1GB.

Hope that helps.

i think that is the best reason to spend the extra hundred bucks as well. you'll NEVER approach the hard drive limits with saved game data, no matter how many games you play. the hard drive space is more for downloading demos, videos and music, installing games without a disc, etc. most people can probably do without the extra 20GB, but personally i wouldn't want to do without the ps/ps2 backward compatability.

i think that is the best reason to spend the extra hundred bucks as well. you'll NEVER approach the hard drive limits with saved game data, no matter how many games you play. the hard drive space is more for downloading demos, videos and music, installing games without a disc, etc. most people can probably do without the extra 20GB, but personally i wouldn't want to do without the ps/ps2 backward compatability.

I personally use the HDD to save downloaded movies that are in high def and save music to my PS3 since all you have to do is load a CD and it automatically saves it...

I have the 60GB version and have used about half the space after deleting some things...

The backwards compatibility is a bit confusing.

The PS3 originally shipped with the Emotion Engine from the PS2 hardwired in for backwards compatibility. The older 20 and 60gb PS3's.

The new 80 gb PS3's use software to emulate the PS2 instruction set. So, you can play all PS1 and PS3 games and most PS2 games.

The 40 gb PS3 can emulate the PS1 instruction set, but not PS2. So, you can play PS1 and PS3 games.

HTH

edit: Sony store is running a special of $100 off the 40gb

Edited by jetsfan

The PS3 originally shipped with the Emotion Engine from the PS2 hardwired in for backwards compatibility. The older 20 and 60gb PS3's.

The new 80 gb PS3's use software to emulate the PS2 instruction set. So, you can play all PS1 and PS3 games and most PS2 games.

The 40 gb PS3 can emulate the PS1 instruction set, but not PS2. So, you can play PS1 and PS3 games.

HTH

what sony store would this be?....

I went to sonystyle.com and it was still 399.99

HTH

You sound more knowledgeable and informed than the Sony website. Here's their full explanation:

20GB / 60GB PLAYSTATION®3 System

Some PlayStation®2 or PlayStation® format software titles may perform differently on this system than they do on PlayStation®2 or PlayStation® systems, or may not perform properly on this system.

40GB PLAYSTATION®3 System

This model of the PLAYSTATION®3 system is designed to play PLAYSTATION®3 format software and has limited backward compatibility. This system is not compatible with and will not play PlayStation®2 format software. Some PlayStation® format software may play on this system.

80GB PLAYSTATION®3 System

This product has limited backward compatibility with PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 format software. Many PlayStation®2 format software titles operate, but full compatibility is not guaranteed. Updating the system software may improve compatibility.

The vast number of games in the PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 software catalogs available in North America (including upcoming titles) are being verified for play compatibility with PLAYSTATION®3. To identify the compatibility status of a specific title, please use our Backward Compatibility Status Search.

what sony store would this be?....

I went to sonystyle.com and it was still 399.99

Get a Sony credit card and get $100 off :D

Some additional info: The 40gb may not play PS1 games. I have read conflicting reports. I have the 60gb system because I bought it before the 80gb came out.

The most compelling reason I have heard to spend the extra $100 is for the extra USB inputs are needed for the game Rock Band (unless you add a USB hub to the 40gb)

I have been very, very happy with my 60gb, both performance and value. A LOT of the little kid games are only available on the PS2 and you can get them dirt cheap ($5-10) used at places like EBGames (used blu rays too!)

Get a Sony credit card and get $100 off :D

Some additional info: The 40gb may not play PS1 games. I have read conflicting reports. I have the 60gb system because I bought it before the 80gb came out.

The most compelling reason I have heard to spend the extra $100 is for the extra USB inputs are needed for the game Rock Band (unless you add a USB hub to the 40gb)

I have been very, very happy with my 60gb, both performance and value. A LOT of the little kid games are only available on the PS2 and you can get them dirt cheap ($5-10) used at places like EBGames (used blu rays too!)

I own a 60 as well and have found this info very useful...

we plan on getting another PS3 for the livingroom because of the WiFi capabilities and am thinking about trying to install Linux on there with an external HDD if it allows capabilities similar to a PC....

but I'll have to wait and see..

I own a 60 as well and have found this info very useful...

we plan on getting another PS3 for the livingroom because of the WiFi capabilities and am thinking about trying to install Linux on there with an external HDD if it allows capabilities similar to a PC....

but I'll have to wait and see..

I have the 20GB and finally got a wireless modem....i think i remember reading that you could only use certain wireless adapters...any idea which i need?

I have the 20GB and finally got a wireless modem....i think i remember reading that you could only use certain wireless adapters...any idea which i need?

I actually have no idea....

I haven't tried the Verizon one that we use for the laptop upstairs being that I use the WiFi connection...

I don't go to many forums for this sort of info...but blu-ray.com forums may have this info in the PS3 section...people are well informed there without too many kids running amuck...