[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which new game console for Christmas?

Jimmy Neutron

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't disagree...although I didn't like Saints Row, Deadrising or Crackdown and haven't played any other except Gears

Gears is outstanding....period....I just wish Halo was more like it in regards to living up to the hype...

the one game that seriously made my decision for me was Metal gear Solid 4....

had MGS4 been on both systems, I may own a 360 right now because of Gears at the time was the best game on both systems and I'd be locked in on MGS4....

and the fact that I prefer Uncharted over any game on either system at this point is nothing more than a personal preference....but it seems to be the most involved game between the 2 systems..

Never really cared for Halo too much. It's fun, but I don't go ga-ga over it. I was looking forward to Call of Duty 4. :D That game lived up to the hype for me.

if they had ps2 and are asking for a 360, that should tell you something.

not that you want to get this for your kids, but grand theft auto was the last important franchise that was exclusive to sony. that's no longer true. by contrast, gears, halo, bioshock, mass effect... all 360 only (and all instant classics). all of these are going to have highly anticipated, game-of-the-year type sequels or spinoffs. i've been hearing that "ps3 games are coming" for like a year now. (wasn't heavenly sword supposed to be a big deal?)

the best way to test is to pick one game that's on both systems, and try it on each.

if they had ps2 and are asking for a 360, that should tell you something.

not that you want to get this for your kids, but grand theft auto was the last important franchise that was exclusive to sony. that's no longer true. by contrast, gears, halo, bioshock, mass effect... all 360 only (and all instant classics). all of these are going to have highly anticipated, game-of-the-year type sequels or spinoffs. i've been hearing that "ps3 games are coming" for like a year now. (wasn't heavenly sword supposed to be a big deal?)

the best way to test is to pick one game that's on both systems, and try it on each.

alright this is my last post on this sort of subject....I just can't read stuff like this and let it go...

people that had a PS2 and own a 360 probably own it because it was the 1st HD game system available for a full year.....not many people are willing to spend 1,000 dollars on new videogame systems...

you're mentioning games that don't apply to this topic and I was accused of the same thing which is true, having said that he didn't list the Wii as an option and neither system is aimed towards kids....

360 has Viva Pinata and maybe something else....while the PS3 has Ratchet and Clank along with Little, Big Planet coming out early next year...but there aren't many games geared toward youngsters...

and you've been hearing PS3 games are coming for like a year now?....the system is a year and almost 2 weeks old....didn't it take the 360 a full year to get a decent game? :D....oh wait, that's based on opinion, :D much like your entire post...

the truth is...when asking which system is better, he's going to receive biased answers....both systems are good and my only serious gripe about the 360 isn't really the games because that's based on taste....but it's the failure rate and the fact that over 30% of 360's have been confirmed to overheat and die....

I don't care about a replacement agreement from microsoft....because that is still time that I am unable to have my system...period...

the truth is...when asking which system is better, he's going to receive biased answers....both systems are good and my only serious gripe about the 360 isn't really the games because that's based on taste....but it's the failure rate and the fact that over 30% of 360's have been confirmed to overheat and die....

cnbc just did a news blip on this last week......

http://www.cnbc.com/id/22027292

cnbc just did a news blip on this last week......

http://www.cnbc.com/id/22027292

they still didn't mention the failure rate...

people were opening up the Elite 360's and getting the red "ring of death" as they call it right out of the box....

this is why MS is offering a 3 year manufacturer warranty....I only know 2 people out of 8 (you can believe me or not believe me) who did not get the ring of death....the most recent one had to wait over a month and just got his 360 back....

I don't understand why this can't be fixed...it's worse than the first batch of PS2's that came out in 2000.....at least Sony nipped that problem in the bud when making the PS3...

otherwise I would be :D

they still didn't mention the failure rate...

people were opening up the Elite 360's and getting the red "ring of death" as they call it right out of the box....

this is why MS is offering a 3 year manufacturer warranty....I only know 2 people out of 8 (you can believe me or not believe me) who did not get the ring of death....the most recent one had to wait over a month and just got his 360 back....

I don't understand why this can't be fixed...it's worse than the first batch of PS2's that came out in 2000.....at least Sony nipped that problem in the bud when making the PS3...

otherwise I would be :D

i think the video accompanying the article does. if its the same one they ran last week on tv.

i think the video accompanying the article does. if its the same one they ran last week on tv.

:D I didn't check the video...

edit: I also wonder if those sales numbers are worldwide...:D

I know the 360 is pretty much nonexistent in any of those asian countries....and in Europe, the PS3 is favored...

in the US, the Wii and 360 have dominated sales...

Edited by Avernus

To answer the original question, I have a PS3 for the following reasons:

It plays all my, and my kids, PS2 games

I play games online with my brother and we both had PS2's, now PS3's

I have an HDTV and the blu-ray player was a plus

My brother-in-law has a 360. He is very happy with it. With the HD-DVD add-on I think the two systems are close enough that it is a wash.

Given the choice, I obviously picked a PS3 and I have been very happy with it. As Avernus pointed out, it is one of the few purchases I have made where it has exceeded my expectations.

Also, the Wii is fun as hell to play, if you haven't considered it. It's a lot more interactive experience than normal video games, and watching people who never play video games get all caught up in it is worth the price of the console in itself. Makes for a really cool group experience. I was up visiting friends over Thanksgiving, and we got everyone involved... wives, kids, grandparents... it was a blast.

I have to agree here - my 3 young kids (2, 5 and 8) will do much better with a Wii. But if your kids are older, I'd try to focus on which games play better on which consoles. That is, if a game is exclusive, is that the game your kids like the best? I'm new at this too - are there games that play on both, but one machine plays it better? Outside of the Wii - real 'gamechanger', IMHO - its more about the software (games) than the hardware (console).

If you don't want to tip your hand, go to their friends - or parents of their friends - to ask them what games they like to play most when they are over at the friends' house. that is how I chose the Wii for ours.

Good luck - I think your kids will love you for the gift either way. If not, beat them until they are grateful...

Edited by Coffeeman

Thanks for the info, guys. My main gamers are 6 and 10 year-old boys. I think the reason they like the 360 is that their friends have them - I don't think anybody they know has a PS3. :D

I know next to nothing about these systems. I want my kids to have fun with them, but not be exposed to the bad language and over-the-top violence in some of them . Are the ratings a safe guideline? Are there settings to play down the language and blood? I know there was some type of setting on a Clancy game when we first got the PS2.

Again, TIA.

Thanks for the info, guys. My main gamers are 6 and 10 year-old boys. I think the reason they like the 360 is that their friends have them - I don't think anybody they know has a PS3. :D

I know next to nothing about these systems. I want my kids to have fun with them, but not be exposed to the bad language and over-the-top violence in some of them . Are the ratings a safe guideline? Are there settings to play down the language and blood? I know there was some type of setting on a Clancy game when we first got the PS2.

Again, TIA.

a lot of people purchased a 360 before the PS3 even came out and I was almost guilty of the same thing....I wouldn't own a if I already ponies up money for the 360 because it's just silly to blow a grand on videogame systems...

if all their friends own a 360, then you should probably go that route because they can share games...

or get a PS3 to offer some diversity....

both ways are a win-win...

as for the ratings, you can't go wrong with the rating system....:D