[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cabrera & Willis Traded to Detroit

ebartender

Heard that on the radio early and just confirmed via ESPN. That's a HUGH move for the Tigers. Cabrera will probably move to first since he's quickly becoming a fatass, and who knows, Willis' game could re-emerge in that park. Nice move by the Tigers, for sure.

Edit: Check that... forgot that the Tigers also added Renteria, which means Guillen probably stays at 1B. Interesting... guess Inge is the odd man out. Unless Cabrera's legs can handle the outfield. :D

Edit again: Looks like Inge's salary is pretty fat so maybe they get Cabrera on a treadmill and he sticks on the hot corner. We'll see. Still a hugh move.

Edited by darin3

Heard that on the radio early and just confirmed via ESPN. That's a HUGH move for the Tigers. Cabrera will probably move to first since he's quickly becoming a fatass, and who knows, Willis' game could re-emerge in that park. Nice move by the Tigers, for sure.

Edit: Check that... forgot that the Tigers also added Renteria, which means Guillen probably stays at 1B. Interesting... guess Inge is the odd man out. Unless Cabrera's legs can handle the outfield. :D

Edit again: Looks like Inge's salary is pretty fat so maybe they get Cabrera on a treadmill and he sticks on the hot corner. We'll see. Still a hugh move.

Cabrera has reported slimmed down, and one of his mentors is in Detroit. Pudge Rodriquez

Inge will be traded for prospects for sure.

Cabrera will play 3rd, and Dontrelle has no chance in the AL, unless he was hurt last yr. The NL bombed Willis. Think what the AL hitters are going to do with him. Early word is FLA didnt want to pay Dontrelle, so they included him for a prospect, and the rest of the deal was for just Cabrera. That sounds hard to believe, as the Spankees or Halos would have surely sent a better prospect than Detroit. Unless this was to show those teams, they wont be bullied into giving away their players, so they will give them to the competition, in a big deal.

All in All, does this help the Tigers. The SP Detroit gave up looks like a future stud.

If Dontrelle is healthy I like the deal. If not, I'm not so sure. Make no mistake, Maybin is widely regarded as a can't miss future star player and like Sarge says Miller has hugh upside.

I do trust Dave Dombrowski however so I will give the Tigers the benefit of the doubt.

Their lineup will be awesome Sheff, Cabrera,Ordonez, Guillen, in the middle. they will rival the Sox and Yankees. Willis will be fine as a #3-4 SP which is what he will be in Det. the rest of the central need to step up if they are going to compete.

Ok, here's my take after a nights sleep.

Cabrera is a stud, obviously. He could get 45 double in Comerica but his HR's will go down a bit, I love his youth and as long as the Pizza man is around he'll pay Cabrera come 09, hopefully he wants to stay. As long as Guillen is here I belive Cabrera will be here.

How is his glove?

Dontrelle? This is the tough one for me. He's been sporatic to say the least the pay two years. I think Comerica will help him, not to mention a solid defense behind him. Being the 3rd or 4th starter will help him and Bonderman I believe. I'm looking for 17 wins out of him next year if healthy.

Maybin? They say he's can't miss but a lot of can't misses have missed. Baseball is a funny game. He's got the tools but ultimately will he be able to hit big league pitching? I hope he makes it, I like the kid.

I think Miller will be a solid pitcher for a long time. I belive they felt he was expendable because they still have pitching prospects in the minors including last years number 1 pick which has every bit of upside at Miller.

Overall it's a trade to win now which excites the hell out of me. 3 million fans next year in Comerica will pay for these guys now and going forward.

Now to worry about the pen.

Edited by chiefjay

wow, what a coup for the tigers. the marlins are a strange franchise, they seem to be going for like an 8 million dollar team salary. you can talk about what they gave up being good prospects or whatever, but which would you rather have, a 20 year-old with "tools" who may or may not learn to hit a curveball someday, or a 24 year-old who is already one of the 5 best hitters in baseball?

i hope dontrelle finds a way to make it back to the NL, shame to waste his talent as a hitter. i think he'll surprise some people this year, it'll take the AL a while to figure him out. with that lineup behind him, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him back over 20 wins.

it'll be interesting to see what they do with cabrera, putting him at first makes some sense so you can keep inge's defense at third. cabrera's defense at third is passable, would be better if he gained some mobility from dropping a few pounds.

wow, what a coup for the tigers. the marlins are a strange franchise, they seem to be going for like an 8 million dollar team salary. you can talk about what they gave up being good prospects or whatever, but which would you rather have, a 20 year-old with "tools" who may or may not learn to hit a curveball someday, or a 24 year-old who is already one of the 5 best hitters in baseball?

+1. Tigers made out like bandits here. Florida have a fire sale quite often - this is just the latest in a long string. Might have something to do with only 400 people showing up at their games.