[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question for Sugar Magnolia

untateve

it's time to focus on me and my problems. I have a question and your return to thehuddle is perfect timing.

Yesterday and today, my dog took a dump in the house at the exact same spot. She is two years old and has not done this since she was a puppy. She's home alone all day but has been for quite some time. Yesterday, I simply assumed she was sick but it happened today and this is real poop--not diarrhea. No change in her diet. She's the same happy dog who likes to play fetch, go for runs, etc. We don't crate her anymore and haven't for about 4 months.

Any insight into this one?

(and I really am glad you're okay)

it's time to focus on me and my problems. I have a question and your return to thehuddle is perfect timing.

Yesterday and today, my dog took a dump in the house at the exact same spot. She is two years old and has not done this since she was a puppy. She's home alone all day but has been for quite some time. Yesterday, I simply assumed she was sick but it happened today and this is real poop--not diarrhea. No change in her diet. She's the same happy dog who likes to play fetch, go for runs, etc. We don't crate her anymore and haven't for about 4 months.

Any insight into this one?

(and I really am glad you're okay)

Id start by crating the dog for a week or so and see how it responds. I had a similar issue with mine chewing stuff, and now I can leave her out and she doesnt do anything but get on the couches and knock all the cushions on the floor.

I know Im not Sugar Mag., but I hope it helps. :D

Dogs are creatures of habit. If they go once in the house they often repeat again. First off, did you clean it with an enzymatic cleanser?

Besides sickness, another reason for a dog to suddenly soil in the house is stress. Was the second time when you were home or away? Dogs are pack animals who need to be with their pack leader and can stress when left alone. It can be as simple as a noise outside that scared her while you were gone. If she seems to be more anxious about you leaving in the morning now, that could be it.

Most likely, she just had to go and once she did and got away with it, she did it again. The best way to break the habit is to keep her from practicing the behavior for a while. If you can, don't feed her in the morning for at least a month, or if you feel you have to, if she doesn't "go" outside before you leave, she has to be crated. Dogs will do fine on one meal a day. If it was in a room where you can shut the door, keep it closed. Sometimes feeding a dog or putting a bed down where they have soiled helps, since they don't want to soil those areas. Put her on a very high quaility dog food, as the higher the quaiity the less frequent and the less volume comes out the other end. If you do change, make it gradual or you will have the opposite problem. Keep in mind that the low cal "dog food is low cal mostly because they add more grain to the food, hence more fiber, so the dog just poops out what they eat.

If it continues you will just have to go back to square one and accept she is no longer housebroken and go through the same steps you did when she was a puppy.

Dogs are creatures of habit. If they go once in the house they often repeat again. First off, did you clean it with an enzymatic cleanser no, but she went on a tile floor?

Besides sickness, another reason for a dog to suddenly soil in the house is stress. Was the second time when you were home or away? we were away both times Dogs are pack animals who need to be with their pack leader and can stress when left alone. It can be as simple as a noise outside that scared her while you were gone. If she seems to be more anxious about you leaving in the morning now, that could be it.

Most likely, she just had to go and once she did and got away with it, she did it again. The best way to break the habit is to keep her from practicing the behavior for a while. If you can, don't feed her in the morning for at least a month, no more food in the morning or if you feel you have to, if she doesn't "go" outside before you leave, she has to be crated. Dogs will do fine on one meal a day. If it was in a room where you can shut the door, keep it closed. Sometimes feeding a dog or putting a bed down where they have soiled helps, since they don't want to soil those areas. Put her on a very high quaility dog food, I've always used high quality dog food--no fillers, chicken byproducts, etc as the higher the quaiity the less frequent and the less volume comes out the other end. If you do change, make it gradual or you will have the opposite problem. Keep in mind that the low cal "dog food is low cal mostly because they add more grain to the food, hence more fiber, so the dog just poops out what they eat. I use the food formula designed for high energy dogs as my dog is high energy.

If it continues you will just have to go back to square one and accept she is no longer housebroken and go through the same steps you did when she was a puppy. I told her if she keeps it up, she's going to have to be crated again. She seemed thoughtful when I told her this.

As always, thanks for your input.

Edited by untateve

As always, thanks for your input.

Best at the Huddle. Just wish she was local so she could straighten out the Nilly monster! :wacko::D

Try takin' a dump yourself on the same spot.....Cheaper than enzyme cleaners! :D:D

when a dog dumps in the same spot...it's just some form of habit..

now...when a cat dumps in a spot...it's out of spite..

we have a house cat who gets very spiteful if you don't pet it or show attention when it wants... it takes a dump behind our Sony HD set in the living room...

bad move...since this is a house cat and I put him outside....

good move too because apparently he got lost and got roughed up a bit from the cat around the corner but still showed up on the doorstep around 5 am the next morning when I went to work...

this was on black friday...and he did this about 7 times over the span of a month, so I just about had it......

he hasn't taken one of those nasty dumps since....:D

once he realized what his options are, he came to the conclusion that things can be a whole lot worse than not getting pet every 5 seconds when someone is trying to cook...

Edited by Avernus