[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No trade deadline?!?

scottyjets

I'm in a first-year league, we're planning on three keepers. I'm in pretty good shape heading into the playoffs, but the bubble-loser just put a post up basically offering to fire-sale Antonio Gates or any of his quality RBs to move up in next year's draft.

I see a crisis about to unfold here. My playoff opponent next week is riding Reggie Bush and would be wise to capitalize on this offer. I think it's horsepeaches by the bucket, but this was never discussed, and there appears to be no trade deadline in our league. Do I just let this happen when it happens? Do I whine to the commish here? Anything to say 'hey it's standard practice that playoff teams can't trade with non-playoff teams' ?

All trading between teams in your league should of been cut off weeks ago. This prevents 3-9 teams from unloading players to playoff bound teams for future draft positions/picks.

If your league is allowing trades this late, your only asking for trouble and if a non-playoff team is allowed to trade players to teams that are still alive, the league is sh*t and you should find another league that has some sort of clue on how to run a FF league.

Edited by 'canes2004

I'm in a first-year league, we're planning on three keepers. I'm in pretty good shape heading into the playoffs, but the bubble-loser just put a post up basically offering to fire-sale Antonio Gates or any of his quality RBs to move up in next year's draft.

I see a crisis about to unfold here. My playoff opponent next week is riding Reggie Bush and would be wise to capitalize on this offer. I think it's horsepeaches by the bucket, but this was never discussed, and there appears to be no trade deadline in our league. Do I just let this happen when it happens? Do I whine to the commish here? Anything to say 'hey it's standard practice that playoff teams can't trade with non-playoff teams' ?

Your first year league needs some major fine-tuning....trade deadlines for most leagues passed around Week 12 (at the latest). Make sure this issue, and others (such as tiebreakers, free agent deadlines, playoff structure, etc) are all worked out prior to the season starting.

If your league was not wise enough to set up a trade deadline, there is nothing you can do about it now. No whining...no nothing. The Gates owner has every right (within your rules) to improve his team for next year. Maybe he planned on holding onto Gates until the playoffs, knowing he'd get better value for him from a desperate playoff team. If you were the one with Bush or Gates, you'd be jumping up and down to make a trade, since your league allows it.

Bite the bullet this year (and hold your tounge)...rules are rules.

Propose a rule change for next season now. You're screwed for this season, though YOU might want to swing a trade with this guy to keep your playoff opponents from doing so. Better to have the guys you trade for riding your bench than in your opponents starting lineup. For next season propose a trading deadline 3 weeks or so before the playoffs begin, much like most legit leagues.

Propose a rule change for next season now. You're screwed for this season, though YOU might want to swing a trade with this guy to keep your playoff opponents from doing so. Better to have the guys you trade for riding your bench than in your opponents starting lineup. For next season propose a trading deadline 3 weeks or so before the playoffs begin, much like most legit leagues.

NO TRADING ALLOWED AND TEAMS THAT DIDN"T MAKEPOST SEASON CANT DROP PLAYERS DURRING PLAYOFFS TO AVOID ANY SUCH SHADY ACTIVITY.

So, based on the advice in this thread, he should give away some of next year's draft picks in order to get Gates, et al from this guy, (hopefully) win the championship, then let them know some time next summer that he's not coming back. I love it! No better way to teach them they need to change the rules than to work them in your favor. :D

Edited by MTSuper7

In a keeper league, trade deadline or no, all teams must be allowed to make the same types of moves (waivers, FCFS, trades) that any other team is allowed. You can not restrict player movement (ie, once eliminated from playoffs no roster moves, etc.) as you are not just playing the current season, you are playing for long term.

THat said, most leagues would have a trade deadline around week 10 or 11. THis allows teams that are essentially out of it to make stratewgic moves to bolster their teams for the upcoming season(s) and allows playoff or bubble teams to make moves to try bolster their team in the current season to make a push for the title. It's the beauty of a keeper/dynasty league.

Commish made an executive decision and froze trading. I think it's a good call. It was a genuine oversight. I had the other three playoff teams in a pact that we wouldn't trade with non-playoff teams anyway.

I'd be pissed if I was one of those non-playoff teams that held my studs until Week 14, hoping to get maximum value for them, only to be told I can't trade them.

I think you definitely need a trade deadline, but since you didn' t have one, how do you know the non-playoff teams weren't employing the stategy I describe above, only to be told at the most critical time to plan for next year that the rules are changing, and their rosters are now frozen?

I think changing rules mid-season is the biggest joke I could imagine in any type of game/contest...JMHO. Your rules were lousy..but even though it was an oversight, it shouldn't be changed at this point. Suppose another "oversight" pops up (i.e tiebreakers for playoff ties not clearly defined, etc.)....is it up to the Commish to decide, or do you declare a tie?

Deal with it for Year 1, and pay closer attention in the offseason so Years 2+ are more fair.

I'd be pissed if I was one of those non-playoff teams that held my studs until Week 14, hoping to get maximum value for them, only to be told I can't trade them.

I think you definitely need a trade deadline, but since you didn' t have one, how do you know the non-playoff teams weren't employing the stategy I describe above, only to be told at the most critical time to plan for next year that the rules are changing, and their rosters are now frozen?

I think changing rules mid-season is the biggest joke I could imagine in any type of game/contest...JMHO. Your rules were lousy..but even though it was an oversight, it shouldn't be changed at this point. Suppose another "oversight" pops up (i.e tiebreakers for playoff ties not clearly defined, etc.)....is it up to the Commish to decide, or do you declare a tie?

Deal with it for Year 1, and pay closer attention in the offseason so Years 2+ are more fair.

Sounds like this is a moot point since all four playoff teams had already made a pact not to trade (assuming nobody backed out of this pact, of course). But I agree with the sentiment that you can't change the rules midstream.