[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

time magazine-person of the year

dmarc117

TIME's Person of the Year is not and never has been an honor. It is not an endorsement. It is not a popularity contest. At its best, it is a clear-eyed recognition of the world as it is and of the most powerful individuals and forces shaping that world—for better or for worse. It is ultimately about leadership—bold, earth-changing leadership. Putin is not a boy scout. He is not a democrat in any way that the West would define it. He is not a paragon of free speech. He stands, above all, for stability—stability before freedom, stability before choice, stability in a country that has hardly seen it for a hundred years. Whether he becomes more like the man for whom his grandfather prepared blinis—who himself was twice TIME's Person of the Year—or like Peter the Great, the historical figure he most admires; whether he proves to be a reformer or an autocrat who takes Russia back to an era of repression—this we will know only over the next decade. At significant cost to the principles and ideas that free nations prize, he has performed an extraordinary feat of leadership in imposing stability on a nation that has rarely known it and brought Russia back to the table of world power. For that reason, Vladimir Putin is TIME's 2007 Person of the Year.

Did you actually read the article? Seems like a fine choice to me.

i see it as another tool that this crook will use to further his agenda. a bad call imo.

So, in your opinion, it should be a popularity contest. Time should not give this award to anyone who isn't nice? Just so the bad guys don't use the exposure to further their evil plots?

I'm guessing you aren't a big fan of the 1st runner up either? I mean, if Gore gets it, then he gets another stage to spread all his lies about SUVs being bad, right?

So, I take it your in favor of the woman who wrote Harry Potter? That's certainly a safe pick. Nothing wrong with pubescent wizards after all. 'Specially the blonde chick. She's sort of hot in a nerdy way.

Who's your choice?

Edited by detlef

So, I take it your in favor of the woman who wrote Harry Potter? That's certainly a safe pick. Nothing wrong with pubescent wizards after all. 'Specially the blonde chick. She's sort of hot in a nerdy way.

You must have missed the part where she "outed" the top wizard. (I don't know his name because I only read one of the books and it didn't thrill me all that much.)

So, in your opinion, it should be a popularity contest. Time should not give this award to anyone who isn't nice? Just so the bad guys don't use the exposure to further their evil plots?

I'm guessing you aren't a big fan of the 1st runner up either? I mean, if Gore gets it, then he gets another stage to spread all his lies about SUVs being bad, right?

Who's your choice?

him

love how libby leaves out the real heroes

Edited by dmarc117

care to elaborate on how he will do this?

Quite simple actually. Run like this will certainly get a guy laid. Dude has tons of sex, makes a bunch of babies (mini Me's if you will) and we're overrun by Jr. Putins who spread his hate for generations.

And you call yourself a scholar.

You must have missed the part where she "outed" the top wizard. (I don't know his name because I only read one of the books and it didn't thrill me all that much.)

So you're telling me there's hot lesbian sex in Harry Potter? And this is supposed to make me think she's less hot?

him

love how libby leaves out the real heroes

He's actually a fine choice as well.

Of course, there's your fundamental problem. The award is not for "hero of the year" now is it. Well, there's that and the fact that not everybody thinks the Iraqi war is really so great, so it's quite a matter of perspective. If you'd like, you can certainly start a dmarktard's hero of the year award. I would caution you, however, given the fact that you make $30K an hour, diverting that time towards researching all the guys you think are neat carries with it quite the opportunity cost.

He's actually a fine choice as well.

Of course, there's your fundamental problem. The award is not for "hero of the year" now is it. Well, there's that and the fact that not everybody thinks the Iraqi war is really so great, so it's quite a matter of perspective. If you'd like, you can certainly start a dmarktard's hero of the year award. I would caution you, however, given the fact that you make $30K an hour, diverting that time towards researching all the guys you think are neat carries with it quite the opportunity cost.

maybe you could win it for your long, boring posts. or your delicious tacos.

i think anyone of our soldiers could win it. regardless of what war they are involved in. thats your problem. you piss on our heroes because you dont like the theater they are involved in.

Edited by dmarc117

maybe you could win it for your long, boring posts. or your delicious tacos.

i think anyone of our soldiers could win it. regardless of what war they are involved in. thats your problem. you piss on our heroes because you dont like the theater they are involved in.

So let me get this straight. You seem to be fixated on the fact that this award needs to go somebody who fights for the American way and I actually read the rules. How exactly does that mean that I piss on heroes?

Ironic, isn't it? You tried to school weigie on the notion of propaganda and what you are calling for is the height of propaganda. Have an award that allegedly goes to the most important person of the year regardless of whether you like them or not but only give said award to American heroes that are in line with the current Administration's agenda. That, my dear boy, is propaganda in a nut shell.

Edited by detlef

Did you actually read the article? Seems like a fine choice to me.

It is the right choice based on the parameters for the title. As far as whether Putin is the right kind of politician in western eyes, maybe not, but Russia has never been a democracy of any kind, except for a very brief period that was characterized by mass corruption and the rise of mega-crooks who basically stole everything. Ordinary Russians saw zero benefit. Russians, IMO, will always take stability and nationalism over the right to vote in a most likely corrupted election.

i know youre a numbers guy, so here is your word for the day.

propaganda

In order for that to work, you'd have to count on Russians to just look at the headline and not read the article. And who the hell is dumb enough to form an opinion based just on a headline and a picture? Who, I ask you? Who could be that galactically stupid?

Who's your choice?

I've always taken the Man of the Year distinction as the most newsworthy person of the year. Ahmadinejad would be my choice as the most newsworthy person. Last year's was a cop-out. The problem is that Time has gone with "safe" picks for the past few years. People have begun to think that it is a popularity contest.

That being said, Putin is a good choice. Russia's politics have created ripples that extend to most areas of the globe.

In order for that to work, you'd have to count on Russians to just look at the headline and not read the article. And who the hell is dumb enough to form an opinion based just on a headline and a picture? Who, I ask you? Who could be that galactically stupid?

:D

:D