[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Poker can be cruel

Tford

I'm BB, wake up with pocket 7s. Sitting at about 20-25 times the BB. Three limpers including the SB, so I raise to 4x the BB to try to get some folds. It works and everyone folds except for the SB.

SB is my father-in-law, and he is a notoriously tight player but will regularly try to defend his blind if dealt a weak ace, suited connectors or what not. So I figure I have to be in the lead with my read on the SB as having a weak ace or weak king. SB has me covered but not by much.

Flop comes down 7 5 2 rainbow. Beautiful flop. :wacko:

He checks, I pop it up to 8x the BB. He check-raises all-in. It seemed like a weird move since he limped in front of me pre-flop so I'm on sure what to put him on, either way, flopping the top set with only a runner-runner flush possibility and a drw to a straight is a call everyday so I push in also. :D

He turns over 7 5 and I figure I'm golden. Turn card is a 5. River is, you guessed it, the case 5.

Sometimes I hate poker. :D

I would have gone all-in after the flop.

Why do you say that?

I have the nuts, and the best draw that SB could have is 6-4 or 2-4 for an open-ender with a runner-runner flush possibility. And even that has me as 4-1 favorite I believe. Why do I want to risk him folding? In that position, I want as much of his money in the pot as possible.

When I made the bet of 8x the BB, that was about 70% of the pot. I thought if anything, that bet was too high.

So then you say, "Nice suck out Old Man! Guess I'm done now. I'm going to screw your daughter!"

......up the butt and make her call me daddy. :D

BTW You did the right thing. He just sucked out and it happens. Averages will work in your favor which is why I prefer money games over tourney any day.

Why do you say that?

I have the nuts, and the best draw that SB could have is 6-4 or 2-4 for an open-ender with a runner-runner flush possibility. And even that has me as 4-1 favorite I believe. Why do I want to risk him folding? In that position, I want as much of his money in the pot as possible.

When I made the bet of 8x the BB, that was about 70% of the pot. I thought if anything, that bet was too high.

I guess I'm a bit too aggressive at times, but then again I have a library's worth of bad beat stories like this one. If I'm h2h with a tight player and there's a decent pot staring at me, I'll oftentimes over-bet. I guess I am one that likes winning lots of medium-sized pots rather than risk going into a few bigger ones. :D I make people pay for draws. Because if I don't, invariably they will chase later in the game and hit at the most inopportune times.

Edited by darin3

4 5's thats a tough ass loss. I have only seen four of a kind like 5 times in my life.

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but when I was playing with a couple of friends one time I had a three of a kind and lost to a friend's four of a kind. Literally two hands later I end up with a full house, and this same friend goes all in. At that point in time I'm thinking it's impossible that he could have a four of a kind, the odds of that are ridiculous....yup, he had the four of a kind again.

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but when I was playing with a couple of friends one time I had a three of a kind and lost to a friend's four of a kind. Literally two hands later I end up with a full house, and this same friend goes all in. At that point in time I'm thinking it's impossible that he could have a four of a kind, the odds of that are ridiculous....yup, he had the four of a kind again.

That's insane!