[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

High Definition Media war is all but over now..

Avernus

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. If you are to purchase a monitor from this point forward 1080p and HDMI (preferably 2 slots) is a must, otherwise you're buying a TV that in a sense is behind a curve it will never catch up from.

Once 1080p and i signals start to make it through satellite distribution, then movies and games won't be far behind.

There will be no 'broadcast times' anymore either. You'll go to heroes.com and stream the episode at the 'release time' which will be Mondays at 8pm simply to keep the semblance of a TV schedule.

the idea is great...

I just want to be able to have the highest audio quality possible and that is currently only offered through HDMI...at least on a mainstream level...

the video via HDMI is obviously great....but the audio via HDMI can output lossless audio...and anything less is covered

Not very familar at all with PS3 systems, but I remember something about installing Red Hat Linux and being able to boot up , is that how your getting the BluRays off the PS3?

Sony can't possibly be allowing the streaming of BluRay to your pc HDD can they? If so, that would kill the manufacturers of BluRay Player and what about copy protection..............i'd imagine this is a homebrew loader your using. :D

oh nah...it is seriously hard to hack into a blu-ray (one of the many reasons why they are favored)..

I am saying I download HD movies off torrents and send them to my PS3 via home media..

the idea is great...

I just want to be able to have the highest audio quality possible and that is currently only offered through HDMI...at least on a mainstream level...

the video via HDMI is obviously great....but the audio via HDMI can output lossless audio...and anything less is covered

wasn't this addressed in version 1.3 ?

I haven't read up on it, but i thought that was the case. As far as hdmi for your pc, the ATI HD3700 series now offers HDMI video AND AUDIO , which is outstanding news for the home theater fanatics like me for home theater pc use.

I'm not very familar with audio, so if there is something you can wisen me up on, I'd be greatful. Does HDMI 1.3 match the best possible audio or not ?

oh nah...it is seriously hard to hack into a blu-ray (one of the many reasons why they are favored)..

I am saying I download HD movies off torrents and send them to my PS3 via home media..

Gotcha ! Okay, but I know i read something about hackers loading Red Hat onto the PS3, then using a loader that you'd be able to dump the movie on the an extended drive attached to the PS3. This was several months ago, and i didn't follow up on the news, but I'm sure it's had to have been done by now. Hell HDDVD was hacked in about an hour and I believe AnyDVD software will allow for the decryption of BluRay and HDDVD right now. The problem is, you can only view it on your pc, unless you want to spend $800 for a BluRay Burner and $20 per disc, which is the cost of the movie to begin with. I'm waiting for some software that allows the streaming of HD content to a media extender or xbox360 .

Does the PS3 let you stream HD content to it from say a PC ?

Gotcha ! Okay, but I know i read something about hackers loading Red Hat onto the PS3, then using a loader that you'd be able to dump the movie on the an extended drive attached to the PS3. This was several months ago, and i didn't follow up on the news, but I'm sure it's had to have been done by now. Hell HDDVD was hacked in about an hour and I believe AnyDVD software will allow for the decryption of BluRay and HDDVD right now. The problem is, you can only view it on your pc, unless you want to spend $800 for a BluRay Burner and $20 per disc, which is the cost of the movie to begin with. I'm waiting for some software that allows the streaming of HD content to a media extender or xbox360 .

Does the PS3 let you stream HD content to it from say a PC ?

Anotehr current issue with Blu Ray burners is that they usually only work in certain players, and it depends on the machinery used to author.

For instance, Technicolor in Burbank California can author DVDs but they give you a list of players it will play on - and it's never a big list. For this reason they have several burners to cover their clients.

wasn't this addressed in version 1.3 ?

I haven't read up on it, but i thought that was the case. As far as hdmi for your pc, the ATI HD3700 series now offers HDMI video AND AUDIO , which is outstanding news for the home theater fanatics like me for home theater pc use.

I'm not very familar with audio, so if there is something you can wisen me up on, I'd be greatful. Does HDMI 1.3 match the best possible audio or not ?

it allows for uncompressed audio...

lossless...

this is out of my comfort nerd realm. Let me know when it is over and what I need to buy.

:D

And cheap as I am I will wait until everyone else already has it and then buy it when it gets dirt cheap. You waste a lot of money trying to keep up with the tech joneses ...

As one who makes his living in the enertainment business, my general opinion on this stuff is as follows: you want the best monitor and computer system you can get. Stick with your DVD technology for now. Seriously, part of the point of the writer's strike is the general acceptance the the internet is going to be the primary delivery format for media in the long run.

Classic "media" as in the physical item of 'media' be it dvd, cd or what have you is already on the way out. Sell your collections while you still can, because in about 5 years they'll be worth little more than your typical Atari 2600 cartridge. There will be collector value, but if you want long term savings and less headaches accept this reality now and don't kill yourself trying to get the most tricked out DVD player.

Good info here (former entertainment industry guy and married to a current entertainment person). You'll enjoy your blu-ray for the next handful of years for sure (I'd personally give it a bit longer than 5 years though), but you'll see a major decline due to internet feeds in the near future. I still want that PS3 and the blu-ray that comes with it, but I don't think the blu-ray is the most important piece of that hardware.

that would be nice

that's one of the strengtsh of Blu-ray....the large capacity on their discs allow for uncompressed audio and the majority of the movies released on Blu-ray have uncompressed audio...

if anyone likes collecting concerts and live performances...this is the ticket..

I own Led Zeppelin: The song remains the same and the sound is outstanding...

I expect the same for David Gilmour: Remember that night....another live performance..

You can watch a lot of different movies though the pc now. They're not hd quality, but it's clear. I plug my laptop in to my set and watch plenty of movies that way. They have lots of tv series too.

Yes downloadable movies to your pc has been going of for several years. But downloading them to a set top box for view on you TV is a new thing...........or is it ?

I'm clueless

Someone needs to give a layman definition of what the heck is going on please.

1.... No longer will DVD's that I buy to watch on my TV be made?

2... I have to buy a new TV and a new DVD player?

3... This is only for the computer and has nothing to do with TV?

Can't believe that I am so far behind the curve on this.... and that my very expensive TV is probably obsolete.

Could use a readout here ..... someone?

Someone needs to give a layman definition of what the heck is going on please.

1.... No longer will DVD's that I buy to watch on my TV be made?

Not at all. Regular DVDs will continue to sell and be popular.

This is just about the high-def format war between Blu-ray and HD-DVD.

Blu-ray with a larger storage capacity, and the support of Sony... a major manufacturer of devices and a copyright holder of major motion picture studios... is going to win. Big surprise.

2... I have to buy a new TV and a new DVD player?

Nope. Well... you wont be able to get over-the-air broadcasts on an old TV soon without a new digital antenna device, but that 's a different issue altogether.

Edited by AtomicCEO

From today's LA Times:

DVD format war appears to be over

Warner picks Blu-ray over HD, but some say the Net may beat both.

By Dawn C. Chmielewski, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

January 5, 2008

The fuzzy future of high-definition DVD came into sharper focus Friday after Warner Bros. said it would release movies for the home video market exclusively on the Blu-ray disc format.

The decision, announced on the eve of the influential Consumer Electronics Show, delivers a de facto knockout punch to the rival HD DVD format backed by Toshiba Corp. and others now supported by only two of Hollywood's six major movie studios.

It also averts a further costly format war that has been stymieing the growth of the next generation of DVD with promises of enhanced video images and digital audio to match the popularity of flat, big-screen television sets. For the first time, sales of movies on regular DVDs declined last year, jeopardizing a longtime and important source of profits for Hollywood. The studios hope the new, higher-quality format will spur consumers to restock their DVD shelves.

In addition to Warner Bros., studios supporting the Blu-ray format include News Corp.'s 20th Century Fox, Walt Disney Co., Sony Pictures and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. Taken together, they represent about 70% of the home video market. HD DVD is supported by General Electric's NBC Universal, Viacom Inc.'s Paramount Pictures and the independent studio DreamWorks Animation.

"Expect HD DVD to die a quick death," said Richard Greenfield, an analyst with Pali Research in New York, in a research note Friday.

Late Friday, the HD DVD group canceled a news conference scheduled for Sunday at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. "We are currently discussing the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluating next steps. We believe the consumer continues to benefit from HD DVD's commitment to quality and affordability," the group said in a statement.

The larger question, however, is how long even the winning high-definition DVD format may survive. Some analysts say the battle between Blu-ray and HD DVD may become irrelevant as high-speed Internet and on-demand video become the pipelines of movies into the home.

"I think the fat lady just sang," said Rob Enderle, principal analyst with Enderle Group in San Jose. "This gives Blu-ray a decisive lead. The question now is whether it is too little too late."

Enderle said consumers might have moved on to digital downloads to get movies rather than wait to buy them on next-generation DVDs. The next big chance to sell high-definition movie players won't be until next Christmas, he said. "By then, it may all be moot."

Warner Bros. had remained neutral as the rival technology camps spent millions to win over consumers. Each group engaged in aggressive price cutting and promotions this holiday season in an attempt to persuade consumers to take the high-definition DVD plunge.

But sales of these next-generation discs fell short of expectations, given the huge summer box office from popcorn movies, said Kevin Tsujihara, president of Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group. Nor, he added, did the high-definition DVD players keep pace with the sale of high-definition TVs.

"There's a window of opportunity here," Tsujihara said. "There are a number of high-definition television sets being purchased. The best time to sell one of these high-definition DVD players is when the consumer walks out the door with that television set. That window was beginning to close on us."

Warner Bros. even sought its own solution to the format war at the 2007 Consumer Electronics Show, proposing a high-definition disc that combined the Blu-ray and HD DVD formats. But Warner was the only studio to embrace the dual format, so it never reached stores.

Sony Corp.'s Blu-ray discs have had a 2-1 sales edge since the beginning of 2007, thanks to its exclusive studio deals and the sale of Sony PlayStation 3 game consoles that play films in that high-definition format.

That prompted the HD DVD camp to flash its cash to remain viable. It paid $150 million to Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Animation in August to secure exclusively the rights to such major movies as "Transformers" and "Shrek the Third" on HD DVD. Paramount had previously released movies in both high-definition formats.

"HD DVD had a lot of momentum in 2007 when they had their own defection of Paramount. That was a very big move," said J.P. Gownder, an analyst with Forrester Research in Cambridge, Mass. "Now, the balance of power shifts back to Blu-ray."

The Paramount deal reportedly sparked a furious courtship of Warner, which was the last of the major studios to support both high-definition DVD formats. Warner will begin releasing movies exclusively on Blu-ray in June.

Barry Meyer, chairman and chief executive of Warner Bros., flatly denied that the studio was offered a big check to choose the Blu-ray format.

"This was not a bidding contest between the two formats. This is a huge business for us," Meyer said. "We're the market leader globally. We're not going to make a strategic decision based on any kind of short-term financial gain."

Nonetheless, studios such as Warner are facing pressure to grow the nascent high-definition video business at a time when consumer spending on DVDs is declining.

And it's clear that the format war -- though benefiting consumers by driving down the price of high-definition DVD players -- has been confusing them too and keeping them from replacing their DVD players and their movie collection.

"Unfortunately, the loser here with the format war has been the consumer," Gownder said. "We found that 28% of people said the fact that there was a format war meant they weren't going to buy a high-definition DVD player. They weren't going to try to figure it out."

The larger question, however, is how long even the winning high-definition DVD format may survive. Some analysts say the battle between Blu-ray and HD DVD may become irrelevant as high-speed Internet and on-demand video become the pipelines of movies into the home.

I don't see HD being streamed online coming anytime soon. Only enthusiast have the capibility to watch HD or BluRay on their pc's as of now. Your talking about $250+ graphics card update, $80 media player software and at least a dual core processor in order to play them correctly. In additional streaming HD may completely bottleneck your interenet, unless everyone can afford an additional $50 for business class and 15mbps download times.

I don't see HD being streamed online coming anytime soon. Only enthusiast have the capibility to watch HD or BluRay on their pc's as of now. Your talking about $250+ graphics card update, $80 media player software and at least a dual core processor in order to play them correctly. In additional streaming HD may completely bottleneck your interenet, unless everyone can afford an additional $50 for business class and 15mbps download times.

I think you're hung up on the idea of the internet coming through a hard pipeline. Everything's going wireless, and with satellite systems already able to provide HD signals how long is it before the internet becomes part of that signal - which your HD tv can probably already decipher?

Most people won't be like avernus and demand lossless audio, when the 'general signal' they probably get up and running first will provide satisfactory audio for most but the 'philes.

I think you're hung up on the idea of the internet coming through a hard pipeline. Everything's going wireless, and with satellite systems already able to provide HD signals how long is it before the internet becomes part of that signal - which your HD tv can probably already decipher?

Most people won't be like avernus and demand lossless audio, when the 'general signal' they probably get up and running first will provide satisfactory audio for most but the 'philes.

Not hung up, but we are talking about HD content correct? I don't see anything on the horizon that can support HD over a wireless signal..............I'm not uptodate on this, but haven't heard anything. Right now all we have is 100mbps, you'll need 300mbps for HD and that is only going to be had using hard wires for quite some time, imo. It's hard to support more then one pc doing a download or gaming right now without business class high speed and that's hard wired.

I hope that future is near, as having a wireless signal strong enough to game-download and surf would be outstanding ! ! Also great for network file transfers

Edited by theeohiostate